Worst equipped bushwalker you have encountered

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Re: Worst equipped bushwalker you have encountered

Postby peregrinator » Fri 05 Apr, 2019 3:38 pm

. . . was me, many decades ago, doing the OLT in motorcycle boots. I don't recall it being all that problematic. The weather was beautiful every day. Unlike doing the walk again later, with "proper" footwear, and experiencing horizontal rain every day. I do recall that being a little problematic.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 05 Apr, 2019 5:57 pm

Did the boots have a motorcycle on the walk? If you had the bike it would be easy. There are speed limits of 80 km/h near huts.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Thu 11 Apr, 2019 10:55 am

Monday morning I was descending a well known and sometimes far too well used track. Had seen no-one over the last six days, and then the peace was shattered when heads began appearing below me. I quickly stepped off the track to let them pass . . . and pass . . . and pass. Obviously a tour group, all young people (late teens/early twenties) and, excluding four of the nearly twenty, not dressed for the wind, cloud, cold and snow flurries I'd walked through that morning. There were five daypacks between the group, others either had nothing or were carrying small items such as water bottles or cameras. One chap had a plastic Woolies supermarket bag suspended over his shoulder on a stick, in classic Snoopy hobo style.

I should probably add that I hope they coped OK but - no. The bush doesn't need so much cluelessness.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 11 Apr, 2019 11:32 am

peregrinator wrote:. . . was me, many decades ago, doing the OLT in motorcycle boots. I don't recall it being all that problematic. The weather was beautiful every day. Unlike doing the walk again later, with "proper" footwear, and experiencing horizontal rain every day. I do recall that being a little problematic.

My first time on the OLT I wore an Akubra hat. Nice hat - I still have it and use it. But I've never taken it on any other bushwalks.

Thankfully, on that first OLT walk, there was no wind the entire trip and it only rained once during the late evening and night. So the Akubra turned out to be the ideal hat for that trip - just by shear luck.

(I also had a french braid on that trip, so the hat stayed on all day!)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Previous

Return to Between Bushwalks