Wild magazine

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Re: Wild magazine

Postby Nungulba » Fri 27 Feb, 2015 8:02 pm

Yes, I agree with some of the previous comments. I fear that many 'founding' readers have 'moved on' (grown older) and, perhaps, graduated to Australian Geographic!!! What I WOULD like to see is Wild offering (as part of its subscription) access to full-content online back issues, especially for new comers, but also for 'old timers' who have missed some issues over the last 30 plus years?
For a magazine which tends to pitch its material to the more adventurous 'outdoor gymnasts', Wild is probably sending mixed messages, since 'deep ecologists' would most likely consider true wilderness as off limits to 'bushwalker-philistines'?
As an 'environmental ethics' person myself I don't find 'popular magazines' are much help in debating such issues as they usually have some vested (commercial) interest in promoting these discussions. Or, they contrive to organize debates between people from opposite poles of the question - not very edifying generally speaking! Now, there may be a balance between the two extremes (a sort of 'enlightened conservationist' position) but it is not always easy to find that balance.

Of course, I'm speaking here of the Wild I used to know (up until a few years ago - when they switched from glossy to matte/lustre) Maybe the new editor has different ideas? Or maybe the politicking will be left to the ACF?

Good Luck!
Nungulba
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby CFPhillips » Mon 02 Mar, 2015 11:41 am

Thanks Nungulba - some great food for thought there. My only point of contention is in comparing Wild in any way to 'popular magazines'. While we may be popular among a certain group of people, that group is absolutely a niche market! However, I will ruminate on your thoughts and see how I can incorporate it into my strategy.

Again, thank you.
CFPhillips
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wild Magazine
Region: Victoria

Postby Nungulba » Sat 07 Mar, 2015 11:21 pm

CFPhillips wrote:Thanks Nungulba - some great food for thought there. My only point of contention is in comparing Wild in any way to 'popular magazines'. While we may be popular among a certain group of people, that group is absolutely a niche market! However, I will ruminate on your thoughts and see how I can incorporate it into my strategy.

Again, thank you.

Happy to help! I still have a high regard for Wild's ideals. My comment on 'popular magazines' was mainly in connection with 'bushwalking' magazines which attempt to emulate the great environmental journals, such as Sierra Magazine which was inspirational to someone growing up in the 60s & 70s - both for its wilderness photography and its authoritative environmental statements at a time when such issues were only just emerging in Australia (Fraser Island, Lake Pedder, etc).

All the best in your new endeavour.
Nungulba
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby kanangra » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 2:29 pm

I've been a subscriber since the beginning. I have all the issues. But when they had an article on stand up surfing in a recent edition I knew it was time to call it a day. I have not renewed my subscription. I will probably keep all the back issues. Unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Between Bushwalks