Mona Goes Bush in S W Tasmania

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Mona Goes Bush in S W Tasmania

Postby Overlandman » Sun 20 Apr, 2014 8:15 pm

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasma ... 6890196363

SECRECY surrounds an art project to be built by MONA in Tasmania’s World Heritage Area.

The Parks and Wildlife Service has granted permission for an international artist to create a “temporary installation of conceptual satellite elements of an exhibition” to be constructed at Forest Lagoon, near Claytons Corner south of Bathurst Harbour, in the Southwest National Park.

The Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment would not reveal details of what these “conceptual satellite elements” would involve nor the extent of land-clearing and construction work required.

The project deep in the south-west wilderness is inspired by the late Critchley Parker Jr, who died at Port Davey in 1942 while surveying a site for a possible Jewish settlement.

MONA officials are remaining tight-lipped, refusing to confirm or deny knowledge of the project or the international artist involved.

However, sources in the area have told the Sunday Tasmanian that there has been a flurry of activity in recent weeks involving representatives from MONA.

In a statement to the Sunday Tasmanian, a DPIPWE spokeswoman confirmed that the Parks and Wildlife Service had approved a project application from MONA “on the basis that it contributes to the celebration of Tasmania’s heritage, in that the exhibition will celebrate the life of Critchley Parker”.

The department would not release a copy of the application because it was “an internal document”.

“No formal publication consultation has been undertaken, however the RAA (Reserve Activity Assessment) process requires that MONA provides information to relevant operators and we are informed this has been done,” the statement said.

During World War II, Melbourne businessman Critchley Parker had a vision of a new Jewish state in Tasmania’s South-West, where up to 50,000 European Jews fleeing Nazi persecution could find a safe haven.

His plan had the support of the then Tasmanian premier Robert Cosgrove.

However, aged just 31, Parker was struck down by pleurisy while exploring the area and his body was found in a sleeping bag by fishermen at Port Davey.

One of Parker’s final diary entries states: “It is at Port Davey that I hope the Jewish settlement will start, not far from where I sever all earthly connections with it ... to die in the service of so noble a cause is to me a great satisfaction and if, as I hope, the settlement brings happiness to many refugees and in so doing serves the state of Tasmania, I die happy.”

There is speculation Paris-based Japanese artist Ryoji Ikeda, who created the Spectra installation that wowed audiences at Dark MOFO last winter, may be involved in the new MONA project.
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mona Goes Bush in S W Tasmania

Postby geoskid » Sun 20 Apr, 2014 11:25 pm

How Bizarre! :? :?:

But why, MONA? Just to be bizarre?
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby geoskid » Mon 21 Apr, 2014 9:02 am

A bit more reading this morning ,( I'd never heard of Critchly Parker Junior) you could'nt make this stuff up:

http://www.kitezh.com/texts/parker.htm

This probably explains MONA's interest -

"Parker's legacy is a field of ironies, foibles and mysteries, surrounded by a horizon of dark tragedy with the faint aurora of a posthumous halo. Poynduk, named after a people swept from the land by the Black Line, remains part of Australia's rich speculative tradition. In the story of Critchley Parker, we have discovered another 'black swan of trespass'."

I agree with this -

"Indeed, it seems in retrospect that Parker's failure was the best result for the area. His dream would have destroyed a rare pocket of the world hitherto safe from human development. Meanwhile, poor soils, atrocious weather and lack of minerals would have made it almost impossible to sustain a viable settlement, as remains true today. Wilderness would have become wasteland."

Crickey Critchley, good intentions, but not at Port Davey.
geoskid

Postby Nuts » Mon 21 Apr, 2014 9:26 am

No good for any incursion other than tourism.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Mon 21 Apr, 2014 9:56 pm

Cfitchley Parker's story is one of many that make this corner of Tasmania so special. I'm intrigued about what an artist may have come up with.

I trust PWS(through experience) in this area that there will be no major(or minor) environmental impact. Wish I was involved :)

Whatever they come up with it'll fail in pale comparison to the creation stories of the Needwonnee......
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby geoskid » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 11:26 am

stepbystep wrote:Cfitchley Parker's story is one of many that make this corner of Tasmania so special.

Yeah, I dunno. I can't muster any enthusiasm for this.
Seems that what makes Critchley Parker Juniors story interesting is all about what what brought him to Tasmania and Port Davey.
That he died at Port Davey or that he had some delusion about what might be possible there hardly contributes to Tasmanias Heritage, does it?

Anyway, does'nt really matter (to me), just interesting.
Agree with the rest of your post. :)
geoskid

Postby Nuts » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 12:01 pm

Overlandman wrote: a DPIPWE spokeswoman confirmed that the Parks and Wildlife Service had approved a project application from MONA “on the basis that it contributes to the celebration of Tasmania’s heritage, in that the exhibition will celebrate the life of Critchley Parker”.

The department would not release a copy of the application because it was “an internal document”.

That sounds like a justification tailored to fit a decision.
They sound like words more reminiscent of another 'department'.
The footprint might as well be used for infrastructure, a standing camp, a private hut.. an annual 'event' ?

Staff come and go, only their precedents remain. We see the legacy every time another incursion is mentioned.
I doubt the decision was made locally, far from a Latte' or corporate influence. Meh perhaps it was, never know in the south..
Anyhow... what about the next time when a project doesn't appeal to one's personal interests?
Nothing against art or the celebration of heritage. Is such concern to become an attack on these :?

The wording of the article (or reflections from the department) suggests others are already wanting answers.

(edit: Iv'e read of it somewhere before but find Critchleys story and connection with the area interesting. The concept, era, noble ambitions.)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Sun 15 Jun, 2014 7:18 pm

Probably should be me who linked it here in fairness. I must say it's pretty clever, causes a pause to respond.
Ok, i'll go- now please take it away, consider photoshoppe?

Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 7.11.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 7.11.30 PM.png (300.67 KiB) Viewed 6328 times

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasma ... 6954610703
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 17 Jun, 2014 2:26 pm

Very clever. And easy enough to remove once its time is done.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Return to Between Bushwalks