Lyn image browser for Mac?

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Lyn image browser for Mac?

Postby Tortoise » Tue 29 Jul, 2014 1:58 pm

I'm in the AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHH phase of trying to adapt to a Mac, being a total non-technoweenie.

But as it was very graciously bequeathed to me by a friend who has updated, and it will enable me to avoid Windows 8, and it weighs a couple of kgs less than my old laptop, etc, etc, I'm giving it my best shot.

I've discovered that I want to avoid iPhoto at all costs, and am looking for an image browser that can do quick and simple things like ... well... browse through my photo folders, do quick adjustments like brightness, contrast, zoom and crop. Anything more I use GIMP for. It appears that Lyn for Mac is a good option, but in the trial version I don't seem to be able to do anything - opening a file, keeping it there and working on it are so far eluding me. :x

(Edit - I've finally discovered the equivalent of the right click, so I can now open with whichever program I want. I'll call that a win. :) )

Does anybody here use it? Or something else like it?
Last edited by Tortoise on Tue 29 Jul, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Lyn image browser for Mac?

Postby DanShell » Tue 29 Jul, 2014 2:19 pm

I can't answer your specific question but can I ask why you want to avoid iPhoto?

We have used it for since owning Mac and have a data base with 100's of gigs and can't fault it?
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Tue 29 Jul, 2014 2:30 pm

Hmm. Not sure I can answer exactly. But after talking with somebody else who has used it, and looking at reviews - I'm not interested in the features many people love. What's most important to me is being able to organise files in folders of my choosing that I can see clearly, and access quickly and easily.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Tue 29 Jul, 2014 3:55 pm

Tortoise wrote:Hmm. Not sure I can answer exactly. But after talking with somebody else who has used it, and looking at reviews - I'm not interested in the features many people love. What's most important to me is being able to organise files in folders of my choosing that I can see clearly, and access quickly and easily.

I don't use iPhoto as my primary image browser, but I would point out that it creates a database of views across your images that extends the functionality over a hand made collection of folders - images can be sorted by various methods.

For basic tools in an image viewer including exposure etc, that is built into OSX with Preview.

If those are the sort of tools you need, you don't have to go buying any third party software. You can also use QuickLook in the finder to see any media file and almost any other kind of file, Just select the file and press the spacebar.

Hope that helps...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Tue 29 Jul, 2014 4:10 pm

Thanks, Michael, very helpful. I guess I might need to rethink the iPhoto thing, but at least for now I can do a few things and maybe keep playing some games here when i go away again soon. Most important, you know :)

DanShell wrote:I can't answer your specific question but can I ask why you want to avoid iPhoto?
We have used it for since owning Mac and have a data base with 100's of gigs and can't fault it?

Thanks DanShell, I might need to get back to you on a few things!
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Tue 29 Jul, 2014 4:16 pm

oops double post
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 29 Jul, 2014 4:45 pm

iPhoto has been fantastic in my experience too. Simple but more than powerful enough for most and perfect in the family. Then it syncs to all the i-devices, perfect for family viewing. As for any database that stores precious personal data, backup and backup. Then again, TimeMachine does it all so conveniently...

If you really really have a problem with iPhoto, then try Picasa. YMMV
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Between Bushwalks