Fred the Cockatoo turns 100

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Fred the Cockatoo turns 100

Postby Overlandman » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 5:25 pm

From ABC News

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-02/w ... oo/5860770

The Queen has sent her best wishes for a 100th birthday party with a difference in Tasmania.

Like most other centenarians, Fred the sulphur-crested cockatoo had a letter from Buckingham Palace to mark the special occasion.

The bird's home is the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary outside Hobart and today the park is holding a birthday party in his honour.

Most of Fred's kind do not make it to 100.

In the wild, sulphur-crested cockatoos can live to about 40 years old.

In captivity, 70 is considered old.

If estimates are correct, Fred would have been born around the time World War I broke out.

Fred was a family pet for several decades until his owner passed away and left Fred to Bonorong.

The cockatoo has lived at the sanctuary for at least the past 20 years.

Staff at the wildlife sanctuary believe he has always lived in captivity.

At Fred's party today children enjoyed activities including face painting and a sausage sizzle.

His carer Petra Harris said the elderly cockatoo preferred women and did not like coming out of his enclosure.

Ms Harris said he liked to pass sticks to visitors in his beak and had a good vocabulary.

His favourite phrases are "Hello Fred" and "Polly want a cracker".

Greg Irons from Bonorong said Fred's birthday was a good time to remember that getting a pet cockatoo was a life-long responsibility.
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Fred the Cockatoo turns 100

Postby north-north-west » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 5:30 pm

We had an Eastern Rosella called Fred when I was a kid. He only managed 15 years, though, poor old thing. :(
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Re: Fred the Cockatoo turns 100

Postby MickyB » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 5:53 pm

We have visited Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary a couple of times including May this year. We spent a bit of time at Fred's cage, fascinated at they way he passed sticks to us through the wire.

Bonorong do an amazing job with their animal rescues and breeding programs. IMO Trowunna Wildlife Park and Bonorong are easily the best animal parks in Tassie as the animals are their number one priority, not the money.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Return to Between Bushwalks