coat of arms

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

coat of arms

Postby dingelberry » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 5:58 am

I dont know if this is true or not but Ive heard or read somewhere that the reason australia has the emu and kangaroo on is coat of arms is that they cant walk backwards .So I was thinking ( yea I know to much time on his hands ) what other animals are the same ?
dingelberry
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: n/a
Region: New South Wales

Re: coat of arms

Postby MickyB » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 6:28 am

dingelberry wrote:I dont know if this is true or not but Ive heard or read somewhere that the reason australia has the emu and kangaroo on is coat of arms is that they cant walk backwards .So I was thinking ( yea I know to much time on his hands ) what other animals are the same ?

Penguins can't walk backwards.

I have never seen a kangaroo walk backwards or forwards.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby Strider » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 6:57 am

Kangaroos can only move their legs independently when they swim, I believe.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MickyB » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 7:25 am

Strider wrote:Kangaroos can only move their legs independently when they swim, I believe.

You are correct Strider. I had never heard of that before (never really thought about it either) so I looked it up.

TOP FIVE FACTS

Kangaroos can swim and may go into the water if they feel threatened, to get rid of ticks, to bathe wounds or scratches, to get from one place to another, or just because they fancy a dip thanks
While on land kangaroos use both legs simulataneously to boing about, in water they use them independently in a sort of doggy paddle
They’re able to suck in a muscle to close their pouches while swimming, keeping their joeys watertight, but unfortunately can’t do this for long
Kangaroos have ended up as lunch for great white sharks and crocodiles have certainly thought about it
Most Australians do not believe kangaroos can swim despite the wealth of video proof
[/color][/color]

http://canitswim.com/kangaroo/
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to Between Bushwalks