Sound level indicator on a wrist strap?

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Postby Tortoise » Sat 15 Nov, 2014 9:16 am

Just in case any of you tech heads are up with this, or can google better than us.

My brother has zero hearing, and has trouble limiting the loudness of his voice. He has a device he can use with his computer, to indicate the decibel level with coloured bars. There are also ones for industrial usage.

Something along these lines, but he's after one he can wear on his wrist for conversation anywhere.
http://handsun.en.made-in-china.com/product/wqKnTOHGXaYv/China-Sound-Level-Indicator-Personal-Noise-Meter-SL-601-.html

Thanks for any thoughts.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Sound level indicator on a wrist strap?

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 15 Nov, 2014 9:54 am

If such a thing exists, I've never seen one. Not to say it doesn't, but most SPL meters I've ever seen fall into two groups- high accuracy ones for testing purposes (concerts, research, that sort of thing) and industrial ones that are more of a dosimeter sort of thing. There are several phone apps that can use the microphone to measure, but that tends to run the battery down since you would need the screen on to make it work.....

I could see a smart watch with haptic feedback being able to be used in that way, but I don't know if anyone has developed an app that would do that. An idea for sure...
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby RonK » Sat 15 Nov, 2014 11:33 am

I have an app on my iPhone that does this. Actually there are dozens of them, many free. One specifically for your purpose - Voice-O-Meter.

It may also work on the Apple watch that will be coming next year.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Return to Between Bushwalks