Bushwalking Clubs

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Bushwalking Clubs

Postby vicrev » Sat 15 Nov, 2014 6:57 pm

Went to my local Bushwalking Club last week with the intention of joining,walked into the meeting room(monthly meeting) 4/5 people sitting chatting,introduced myself.......no reaction,like how's things ? welcome to our club,where have you walked?.....no interaction whatsoever,just ignored me...sat there for awhile,then thought buggar this,then walked out.....on the way out, passed who I think, is the Chair/Secretary,not, can I help etc. etc........I read membership in Bushwalking Clubs is in decline,which makes me wonder ,do they have, or do they create a clique?? or just bad mannered people ??.....I have walked into various clubs, even without speaking the language,cold turkey,in other parts of the world & never had a non reaction like that........Vicrev
vicrev
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Bushwalking Clubs

Postby Tortoise » Sat 15 Nov, 2014 7:27 pm

I've been in a number of bushwalking clubs, with quite different experiences. Alarm bells would be ringing for me if there are so few people there. One of the smallest clubs I've been in (about 50 in the club) is the friendliest - but they'd have a lot more than that at a meeting.

I avoided clubs for many years because of the odd story of race horses or cliquiness. That was to my loss, really. Yep, I did find some cliquiness, but I also found some friendly and inspiring people, some of whom i've had wonderful walks with at other times too. It greatly increased my opportunities to go to new places before I had the confidence (and technology) to go on my own. Leadership style varies a lot too, even within a club. You can soon get to know the leaders whose style suits yours. And i'm back in one now, because it'll still give me the opportunity to go places I wouldn't be able to get to with just my own walking buddies. i.e.I need more experienced people on some off-track walks I want to do, or ones with tricky rock scrambling, creek crossings etc.

In many places there's more than one club to choose from, within a reasonable distance.

I also have found it great to actually look see other people's gear in action in a wide variety of conditions - tents, packs, stoves, mats etc. Of course, that was before I discovered this site! But comparing things in the field gives that extra level of input.
Last edited by Tortoise on Sat 15 Nov, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby vicrev » Sat 15 Nov, 2014 8:09 pm

Sorry Tortoise,I should have said it was a bit before the meeting started,they probably had more members turn up,still doesn't excuse bad manners & ignoring a potential new member.......
vicrev

Region: Victoria

Postby Bubbalouie » Sat 15 Nov, 2014 8:24 pm

My experience has been a bit similar, the initial introductions were a bit rough. Some people didn't talk and at least one person was down right insulting.

However, of the few club hikes I've been on I really enjoyed myself. I've found all of the other hikers on walks to be very easy to talk to and I've learned a great deal from them.

Whilst I have no plans to do every hike I go on with my club I plan to remain a member and try to contribute something positive back to the club where I can and join in on some of the more interesting hikes as time permits.

It may be that a little persistence will pay off. Though I can't say for sure, not all clubs are the same.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Tortoise » Sat 15 Nov, 2014 8:37 pm

vicrev wrote:Sorry Tortoise,I should have said it was a bit before the meeting started,they probably had more members turn up,still doesn't excuse bad manners & ignoring a potential new member.......

:oops: Ah yes, that's obvious now...

I agree, I think it's pretty basic to welcome rather than ignore anybody arriving like that, but would hope there was a good reason. I can think of a few possibilities, like one of them sharing some bad news or whatever. BUT, the first few people you met aren't necessarily representative of the club.

It may be that a little persistence will pay off.

I agree. I found it hard to break in to one of the clubs I've been in, at the meetings at least. There was one person who spoke to me in the first 2 or 3 meetings. But there are some great people, now good friends, who go on the walks, but can't get to/don't go to the meetings. I would have missed out a heaps of great walks and friendships if I hadn't persisted.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Between Bushwalks