Poll: Bushwalker or Backpacker(Tourist with Pack)

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

What type of walker are you

Bushwalker/Hiker:
80%
Backpacker Tourist:
No votes
Bit of Both, this is a cop out really your either one or the other :):
20%

Total votes : 25

Postby walkon » Mon 08 Dec, 2014 4:48 pm

One night at Federation Hut this year I noticed in the initial 'I've got Bushwalking/hiking cred' part of the conversation. Some had a list of impressive world wide destinations to their credit. You know Kili, Himilayas, Kakoda, Patagonia, Inca trail, Yellowstone..... Funny thing was, most of these people actually hadn't walked anywhere locally. If it wasn't a big ticket destination then the traveller hadn't gone to see it. Since then I've noticed this more and more. Even on this forum.

After one of these discussions I pointed out that the couple really weren't Bushwalkers but Backpacker Tourists and gave my reasons. No regular bushwalking, just generally overseas trips to well known tourist destinations maybe three times a year. Didn't expect those to be fighting words but there you go, after a lively debate in which it was expressed I was obviously wrong. The couple stormed out to their tent. I wasn't having a go at them just making an observation which others thought was valid.

Now I've travelled a bit as well and I'm just as happy walking through bush there as at home. Doesn't have to be anything special, I just like to get out there living, breathing and touching it. Some people are different, there has to be a big/impressive reason to get out there. Which one are you?
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby RonK » Mon 08 Dec, 2014 6:57 pm

I'm a traveller. I don't get the same thrill out of walking around my backyard. I've done plenty of that already.

Seems rather narrow-minded to be attaching labels to others who prefer something different to you.
Last edited by RonK on Mon 08 Dec, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RonK

Region: Queensland

Re: Poll: Bushwalker or Backpacker(Tourist with Pack)

Postby Strider » Mon 08 Dec, 2014 7:01 pm

I thoroughly enjoy getting to know the local area first and foremost :)
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 08 Dec, 2014 8:02 pm

Been both in my time
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkon » Mon 08 Dec, 2014 9:05 pm

RonK wrote:I'm a traveller. I don't get the same thrill out of walking around my backyard. I've done plenty of that already.
Seams rather narrow-minded to be attaching labels to others who prefer something different to you.

Hi Ron
I'm a traveler as well its just that I'm happy to go Bush anywhere, I like seeing the Bush change through the seasons be it locally or a big drive away. I can't afford the time to go os every other week so I take what and where I can. So I call myself a bushwalker.
When someone gives themselves a label is this narrow minded as well? I was simply correcting a wrong label in my eyes as stated. I'm not easy offended and welcome a difference of opinion. Especially when there is some thought/rational behind it.
I suppose in asking this question some will be offended. Is it because the notion of them being perceived as a backpacker is offensive I don't know. Personally I don't have an issue with this though we are all different.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon

Postby dingelberry » Tue 09 Dec, 2014 6:33 am

Im lucky I live close to the blue mountains so pretty much at any time I can be in the bush in a very short time.
But find that for a few years now I do an interstate walk 8+ days it give me something to look forward to when work gives me the *&^%$#@!.
Have totaly fell in love with tassie and now have my sites set on larapinta .
For me a walks a walk any place outside has to be good.
Ive travelled but have just decided to see as much bush in oz as I can.
dingelberry
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: n/a
Region: New South Wales

Postby vicrev » Tue 09 Dec, 2014 7:01 am

For me ,walk the bush , tourist trails,parks,world cities,with a pack,without a pack,doesn't matter,it's a big,big world, such a short time to see it.......I don't think of myself as having a label,if anything,a Traveler .................. :) :)
vicrev

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 09 Dec, 2014 7:10 am

Errr... "Hikers" would rule them all! :P
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby maddog » Tue 09 Dec, 2014 3:56 pm

G’day walkon,

I am a little surprised that you have lumped bushwalkers and hikers into the same category. As I understand it, bushwalkers are quite serious about their interest, having both knowledge of and enthusiasm for the bush. In contrast hikers were distinguished very early on in the piece as being frivolous and described as: ‘a crowd of flappers of both sexes straggling through the bush in street attire with ukuleles and hampers to impede progress' . Hikers trip over rocks and vines, leave scraps of paper and orange peels lying around, are noisy, etc, etc.

Quite different groups I would have thought.

Also, what is the difference (if any) between a ‘tourist’ and a ‘traveller’?

Many thanks,

Maddog.
Last edited by maddog on Tue 09 Dec, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maddog

Postby DarrenM » Tue 09 Dec, 2014 4:10 pm

walkon wrote:After one of these discussions I pointed out that the couple really weren't Bushwalkers but Backpacker Tourists
:lol: Surprised you didn't get punched!

walkon wrote: I was simply correcting a wrong label in my eyes
...and therein lies the problem.

So many wankers in huts on both sides of the fence. The reason people go to the "big ticket destinations", is because they are generally spectacularly good destinations. They were in Fed Hut weren't they? That'd make them bushwalkers also....?
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lizzy » Tue 09 Dec, 2014 6:09 pm

Here, here Darren!
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby vicrev » Tue 09 Dec, 2014 6:31 pm

maddog wrote:G’day walkon,

I am a little surprised that you have lumped bushwalkers and hikers into the same category. As I understand it, bushwalkers are quite serious about their interest, having both knowledge of and enthusiasm for the bush. In contrast hikers were distinguished very early on in the piece as being frivolous and described as: ‘a crowd of flappers of both sexes straggling through the bush in street attire with ukuleles and hampers to impede progress' . Hikers trip over rocks and vines, leave scraps of paper and orange peels lying around, are noisy, etc, etc.

Quite different groups I would have thought.

Also, what is the difference (if any) between a ‘tourist’ and a ‘traveller’?

Many thanks,

Maddog.
Ukuleles and hampers sounds like my sort of walking........ :lol: :lol:
vicrev

Postby johnw » Tue 09 Dec, 2014 6:56 pm

I answered a bit of both and suspect that it's a fairly common profile, although I don't really see the need for labelling. I mostly bushwalk locally close to home but anywhere in Oz is potentially on my agenda and I've done a reasonable amount of bushwalking in Tas, SE QLD and country NSW. In addition I have a small bucket list of "big" destinations worldwide that I would love to do. I realised a few of those earlier this year in the USA, visiting the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and Yosemite NPs. Not that I did a huge amount of walking there but I had wanted to see those places since a small child. A solo day hike most of the way down to the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon and being buzzed by a pair of Californian Condors was a memorable experience for me.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hallu » Wed 10 Dec, 2014 9:44 pm

The bigger problem here, and the one you probably wanted to point to the couple you met, is that each of us, whatever country we come from, tend to take our country for granted. There is a case of "I only want to see different things than the ones I have at home". It was funny being a Frenchman in Australia, as most Aussies wanted to visit Europe (they want castles and villages), whereas most Europeans dream of Australia (they want wildlife and big spaces). You want what you don't have, plain and simple, especially when you're young. There is a feeling of having "wasted" your vacation if you don't go abroad if you have money, time, and not a big family on your hands. Our time on Earth is limited afterall, and we always feel we'll have time for our own country later. Once I've visited Kakadu, Western Australia, Tasmania etc... many Aussies told me "you're seeing a lot more than the average Aussie". In my case it helped me appreciate France (and Europe in general) even more, as I got the bushwalking virus now, but yeah I have friends for who a vacation means flying to the US, Mexico, Japan, India etc... and wouldn't waste their precious leave days on staying in their own country, unless they're broke.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 11 Dec, 2014 1:44 pm

Nice reply Hallu
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby vicrev » Thu 11 Dec, 2014 7:09 pm

Hallu wrote:The bigger problem here, and the one you probably wanted to point to the couple you met, is that each of us, whatever country we come from, tend to take our country for granted. There is a case of "I only want to see different things than the ones I have at home". It was funny being a Frenchman in Australia, as most Aussies wanted to visit Europe (they want castles and villages), whereas most Europeans dream of Australia (they want wildlife and big spaces). You want what you don't have, plain and simple, especially when you're young. There is a feeling of having "wasted" your vacation if you don't go abroad if you have money, time, and not a big family on your hands. Our time on Earth is limited afterall, and we always feel we'll have time for our own country later. Once I've visited Kakadu, Western Australia, Tasmania etc... many Aussies told me "you're seeing a lot more than the average Aussie". In my case it helped me appreciate France (and Europe in general) even more, as I got the bushwalking virus now, but yeah I have friends for who a vacation means flying to the US, Mexico, Japan, India etc... and wouldn't waste their precious leave days on staying in their own country, unless they're broke.
....... You have nailed it,Hallu, spot on.........Castles,Villages,Menu du Jour ,good wine, after a days walking,nothing like it.......that is the kind of walking I love.......Bushwalking in Oz ,open skies,big vista,wildlife,solitude,I also love......Just do as much as you can,in the time you are given,it really is, a wonderful world :D :D :D
vicrev

Return to Between Bushwalks