Ideas for another car?

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Ideas for another car?

Postby Tortoise » Wed 28 Jan, 2015 8:35 pm

Alas, my Forester looks like it's not going to make 500+kms like my friend's, and I'll probably be putting the money into a 'new' car, rather than paying the $2000-ish to fix some stuff. :(

So I thought I'd ask for a few ideas. Budget maybe $6,000 - $8000

My priorities have been:
-Good ground clearance
- AWD
- Wagon, for camping in my car
- Ability to tow a trailer

At the cost of:
- Not very good fuel economy
- High-ish repair costs - generic parts not available etc

Thinking I may need to reprioritise for:

- Cheaper running/repair costs
- As much as I love it for icy/rough/boggy/slippery access roads for bushwalks, maybe I don't reeeeaaaallly need the AWD
- Being able to sleep in the back is a non-negotiable, but maybe some hatches would be okay (I still prefer a wagon for transporting all sorts of stuff other stuff)
- Maybe I can borrow I car when I need to use my trailer a few times a year :(

My ideal would probably be a 12 year old 1980s-style AWD Corolla... :roll:
Any thoughts appreciated. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Ideas for another car?

Postby icefest » Wed 28 Jan, 2015 8:46 pm

Sorry to hear the old one isn't doing too well. :'(
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Tortoise » Wed 28 Jan, 2015 8:52 pm

:cry: Yes, it's a bit sad. Been wonderful while it lasted. Thanks for the commiserations.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby samh » Wed 28 Jan, 2015 9:39 pm

Was going to suggest a AWD Corolla....then I finished reading the post. I have a corolla myself, not AWD and hatch but it hasn't let me down and it' got enough ground clearance to even make it to the start of MT Picton track...just. I guess most older cars have a bit more ground clearance compared to their newer counterparts.
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Wed 28 Jan, 2015 9:44 pm

Thanks, samh. What year is yours out of interest?
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby samh » Wed 28 Jan, 2015 9:57 pm

had a 1990 at first now a 1993. both are very good, although I preferred the 1990 as it felt like it can take a bit more of a beating, it also had a bit more ground clearance. I have slept in the older one a couple of times, and although it isn't very comfortable, it's ok for a night. Obviously depends a bit on your height, I'm 175 and its just ok. They are both pretty economic too about 7-8 liter/100 km without trying to save on fuel. Just make sure the head gasket and rings are ok.
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Wed 28 Jan, 2015 10:06 pm

Yep, that's the problem - most people with cars like that will have driven them a long way, so it'd be hard to get a good engine. Wish they hadn't stopped making that kind of car - surely there'd have still been a market for them?

7-8l/100kms is a fair bit better than mine.
Advantage of being short - I can sleep much more comfortably in smaller cars. :D
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hallu » Wed 28 Jan, 2015 11:42 pm

Subaru Outback 2004-2009 (fourth generation). Can't go wrong with that. It's like your old Forester, only better. I'm not sure about their availability in Australia on the 2nd hand market though, you may have to find them with high mileage to fit in your budget.

[edit] Just looked online, you'd need to go up 2000 $ to get a 150 000 km car. For 8/9000, you can get a third gen model though. It's still definitely better than a Corolla. There's not much in AWD station wagons, Subaru pretty much owns the style, which is very popular in Australia. In any case, stick with Japanese cars, avoid Holden like the plague. Their electricals are pathetic, and they're not mechanically reliable either (which is why you will find cheap Holden on the market). Volvo can be good, but AWD models must be quite rare on the market so they're bound to be expensive.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby stry » Thu 29 Jan, 2015 7:34 am

Age will depreciate a car at least as much as miles. You can use this to your advantage when looking.

I have seen tidy low mileage older Foresters at less than $10000. I know that $10000 is above your current budget, but they are available at less than that.

It just takes a lot of looking, because reasonably old, combined with say, 10000/15000 ks a year is not common, but they are there.

Sorry I can't be more specific.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 29 Jan, 2015 7:51 am

Tortoise wrote:Yep, that's the problem - most people with cars like that will have driven them a long way, so it'd be hard to get a good engine.

It's easier and cheaper to fix an engine than to repair bodywork. Even if there are major issues you can get a new short motor fitted pretty easily. Maybe something cheaper with a good solid body and have the engine done?
This, of course, depends on having a honest and reliable mechanic.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby pazzar » Thu 29 Jan, 2015 1:25 pm

I picked up my Forester for $8000, with only 190000km on it, sure I just had the head gaskets done at 215000, but I feel like I've got some pretty decent value out of it. Mine is a 2003 model, but I reckon you could pick up a 2005 model for that price and mileage now.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby vicrev » Thu 29 Jan, 2015 7:19 pm

Maybe off topic a bit,Ivé got a 1992 Camry wagon,it just will not die,it has been everywhere,on 4wd tracks, across creeks, carted fence posts,pulled tandem trailers,when it does go to motor heaven,I'll be in tears... :(
vicrev
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Hallu » Thu 29 Jan, 2015 7:42 pm

Technically she wants another car, so the Forester should be out =) Recent Foresters are good, but to me a 90's/2000's Legacy Outback is better than a 90's/2000's Forester.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 29 Jan, 2015 8:04 pm

Forester = 21st century Volvo
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby vicrev » Thu 29 Jan, 2015 8:09 pm

north-north-west wrote:Forester = 21st century Volvo

:lol: :lol:
vicrev

Postby Hallu » Thu 29 Jan, 2015 8:45 pm

north-north-west wrote:Forester = 21st century Volvo

lol no it's the Subaru equivalent of a Toyota Rav4. Reliable, but dull (well come to think of it, that IS like a Volvo you're right).
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bubbalouie » Thu 29 Jan, 2015 9:04 pm

Hallu wrote:lol no it's the Subaru equivalent of a Toyota Rav4. Reliable, but dull (well come to think of it, that IS like a Volvo you're right).

I'd say Subaru is the Japanese Volvo.

I mean this as a good thing, they are very safe cars (sharing many features with Volvo).
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Strider » Thu 29 Jan, 2015 9:08 pm

Many features meaning hardly any features? Subaru = bland.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bubbalouie » Thu 29 Jan, 2015 9:31 pm

Strider wrote:Many features meaning hardly any features? Subaru = bland.

Safety features.

Yes, most Subaru's are a bit bland, but if safe + reliable + affordable are your criteria it's not a bad option.

They do make a few sportyish cars (have a few in my family) and in the scheme of things they tend to be a bit plain too (at least as far as interior appointments go). But if you're after something not so bland you'll be hard pressed to do it for less than $80,000. Not exactly small change for most Aussies.

It really is a case of horses for courses.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby geoskid » Thu 29 Jan, 2015 10:07 pm

Strider wrote:Many features meaning hardly any features? Subaru = bland.

Oh Yeah!! :D
My 0`12 Forester is a sweet thang in low range, fanging in sand.

2wd Hilux would get most places, but subys have the note at revs, and that's important ( :D ).
My vote is for 2nd hand looked after Forrester, or 2wd hilux with canopy.
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid

Postby north-north-west » Fri 30 Jan, 2015 6:19 am

Bubbalouie wrote:
Hallu wrote:lol no it's the Subaru equivalent of a Toyota Rav4. Reliable, but dull (well come to think of it, that IS like a Volvo you're right).

I'd say Subaru is the Japanese Volvo.

I mean this as a good thing, they are very safe cars (sharing many features with Volvo).

I just mean that people who can't really drive get them because they're safe and steady. You used to give a wide berth to anyone driving a Volvo 'cause you knew they were 3rd rate (at best) drivers. It's the same now with Foresters.

Please allow me to state that I mean no disrespect to Tortoise or any other Forester drivers who may frequent this forum. I have seen some good drivers in Foresters. Not many, and never with Victorian plates, but some . . .
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby pazzar » Fri 30 Jan, 2015 7:20 pm

north-north-west wrote:I just mean that people who can't really drive get them because they're safe and steady. You used to give a wide berth to anyone driving a Volvo 'cause you knew they were 3rd rate (at best) drivers. It's the same now with Foresters.

Please allow me to state that I mean no disrespect to Tortoise or any other Forester drivers who may frequent this forum. I have seen some good drivers in Foresters. Not many, and never with Victorian plates, but some . . .

Unfortunately I didn't change my number plates over when I was living in Vic, so I can't be offended by this comment!
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bubbalouie » Fri 30 Jan, 2015 7:57 pm

north-north-west wrote:I just mean that people who can't really drive get them because they're safe and steady. You used to give a wide berth to anyone driving a Volvo 'cause you knew they were 3rd rate (at best) drivers. It's the same now with Foresters.

I can't say this is an observation I've shared (though I don't live in Victoria either). The only car that I consistently give a lot of extra room is a pre 2005 Commodore. I don't know what it is with those but the drivers do some reckless stuff. For the rest I find the demographic of the driver is a far better indicator than the car itself (dents and scrapes withstanding).

Personally with regards to my own driving I try to keep Dunning Kruger in mind: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby vicrev » Fri 30 Jan, 2015 8:23 pm

I drive a Camry,I am over 70yrs,wear a cloth cap, at all times.... whilst driving,drive 10ks under the speed limit, at all times,roundabouts & traffic intersections I drop down to first gear( sometimes when feeling a bit racy, 2nd gear) why can't everybody be like me,accidents would be in the minimum !!..I nearly forgot,my beloved Camry has Vic plates............. :wink: :wink:
vicrev

Postby Hallu » Fri 30 Jan, 2015 10:14 pm

I find funny and surprising calling Subaru bland. Never seen this called in Europe, probably coz here it's mostly Imprezas. But the Aussie market is full of Foresters, so that may explain that false accusation. But the Aussie market definitely doesn't represent the wordwide market.

But let's not forget it's about Tortoise buying a new (well, used) car. My suggestion is to fix yourself at a budget, see what's available for that budget, test drive those cars, and if they don't feel right, maybe go up a couple of grand. In any case, never buy the first car you see, never trust a seller saying "another buyer is really interested so it's now or never".
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Fri 30 Jan, 2015 11:14 pm

European cars are bland by nature Hallu, so the fact the bland of the bland Impreza doesn't raise any eyebrows is not surprising.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hallu » Sat 31 Jan, 2015 1:34 am

You're the first person ever that I've heard saying that about European cars, you need to expand a bit (especially since about half of the world's cars are Europeans so calling them all bland is quite weird...).
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Empty » Sat 31 Jan, 2015 5:48 am

vicrev wrote:I drive a Camry,I am over 70yrs,wear a cloth cap, at all times.... whilst driving,drive 10ks under the speed limit, at all times,roundabouts & traffic intersections I drop down to first gear( sometimes when feeling a bit racy, 2nd gear) why can't everybody be like me,accidents would be in the minimum !!..I nearly forgot,my beloved Camry has Vic plates............. :wink: :wink:

Can I suggest the bus?
I may be doing the typing but Steve Jobs is doing the spelling!
Empty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DanShell » Sat 31 Jan, 2015 6:23 am

I haven't read the entire thread but the only real advice I can give is to use www.redbook.com.au and www.carsales.com.au to assist in valuing any second hand car you might be looking at.

With your budget you should be able to find a reasonable second hand suv. A Nissan Xtrail would suit you by the sounds of it.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby vanNek » Sat 31 Jan, 2015 6:31 am

Tortoise what's up with your forester? Mines got 300 000km & sort from need the head gaskets replaced cause they are leaking oil (boxer engine thing), it's perfectly fine.

"No half measures, but..... Never go full retard"
vanNek
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Next

Return to Between Bushwalks