Windows 7 "upgrade" to Win 10

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Windows 7 "upgrade" to Win 10

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 16 Mar, 2016 9:15 pm

Beware. I was nearly caught with this. A few minutes ago I saw this on Whirlpool
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-r ... p=50&#r998

Seems like MS have pushed Win10 as an important update so its happening automatically now.
http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-caug ... ent-78844/

Have a ladies laptop with me that isn't compatible with Win10 (no LCD display but external fine) & the roll back had lead to instant blue screen of death trying to boot. Currently been attempting startup repairs for the last 15min & even if fixed I know scheduled tasks will be corrupt. Maybe it's MS attempt to become unpopular to the point of hated.

Sneaky. Everyone needs to disable automatic updates. KB3035583 keeps coming up. You need to hide it all the time. They need a 'hide forever' option. Why not just ask the user in windows update if they want to upgrade to W10. If they're not interested then don't force the W10 updates onto them.

Mongrels.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Windows 7 "upgrade" to Win 10

Postby wayno » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 4:13 am

microsoft don't give a stuff if you're operating old hardware. In their world the only people that matter are using recent machines that are genuinely compatible with their software.
the older the device the more problems you'll have
avoid upgrading to new operating systems if you're not prepared to have it go pear shaped. Theres always the risk it won't work and you end up with a machine that doesnt work well or doesnt work at all.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby neilmny » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 5:40 am

Lophophaps wrote:Sneaky. Everyone needs to disable automatic updates. KB3035583 keeps coming up. You need to hide it all the time. They need a 'hide forever' option. Why not just ask the user in windows update if they want to upgrade to W10. If they're not interested then don't force the W10 updates onto them. Mongrels.

If you have windows update set to "Check for updates but let me decide to download and install them" then review the updates before you allow an installation you will only get the nag not the update.
There is a method to stop the nag if KB3035583 has been installed. http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/wind ... emove.html
It is not for the faint hearted but it works is you carefully work through this method.

I have windows update set permanently to "Check for updates but let me decide to download and install them" it's the only way I could think of to stop any further attempt to stick me with W10.
I review any future updates by highlighting the update (not selecting it) then click "more information" in the right hand side of the updates window under "download and install the update"
it is tedious but solves the problem. I just hide anything that mentions W10 or preperation for W10 in the more information page.

Disclaimer - I am no PC expert but this has worked for me with no subsequent ill effects to any of my W7 computers.
Part of the fix involves editing the registry which is potentially able to stuff your machine if you get it wrong.
As mentiond above - not for the faint hearted!

As you said Lophophaps they are Mongrels and several other unprintable descriptions!

windows update.jpg
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 7:40 am

Of course they want everyone moving to W10.

It allows them to save money on maintaining old software.

Plus, people who brick their machine may end up buying a new one ... Which means more money in MSoft's back pocket.

It's all about the money.

I'm still on Vista, so no annoying Windows 10 update for me :)
South_Aussie_Hiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 7:44 am

wayno wrote:microsoft don't give a stuff if you're operating old hardware. In their world the only people that matter are using recent machines that are genuinely compatible with their software.
the older the device the more problems you'll have
avoid upgrading to new operating systems if you're not prepared to have it go pear shaped. Theres always the risk it won't work and you end up with a machine that doesnt work well or doesnt work at all.

Wayno, I have a machine running software and operating systems from 1980-94, very stable, never any problems, no viruses. This is the main machine that I use to generate income, and it works. Not being connected to the Internet helps. Software from the mid-90s is better in many ways than current offerings. For example, from a directory I can search within files for particular words. In the word processor, making a graphic line is one keystroke. It's all simple, less choices, very fast. I've saved a lot of aggro by not ungrading.

MS would look down on me, but I don't care. I'm in the process of setting the old machine as a virtual machine within Win 7, and maybe finding a newer separate machine with IDE drives. The SATA drives are getting a tad old.

neilmny wrote:If you have windows update set to "Check for updates but let me decide to download and install them" then review the updates before you allow an installation you will only get the nag not the update.

I have windows update set permanently to "Check for updates but let me decide to download and install them" it's the only way I could think of to stop any further attempt to stick me with W10.

Neilmy, the method you outline is good. For some time I've had automatic upgrades, and this worked well. Even upgrades for Internet explorer are necessery in case Firefox dies, and IE is needed for other programs. Never in my wildset dreams did I envisage a forced "upgrade" to Win 10. I'm now back to "Check for updates but let me decide to download and install them." Words fail me. Polite words that is. I'm thinking along the lines that their parents were not married. As far as I'm concerned, MS can put Win 10 and especially their sneaky "upgrade" where the sun does not shine, which in my online machine means a port at the back. I think that COMMS 6 is free.

Whirlpool has another link, which I have not read in detail
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/stop-wind ... r-computer
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby wayno » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 7:53 am

I'm still running windows XP. I"ll keep running it until my PC dies...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 8:04 am

wayno wrote:I'm still running windows XP. I"ll keep running it until my PC dies...

Wayno, XP support has ceased. See
http://mashable.com/2014/04/08/windows- ... WVHhAdsGqb
It may be time to think about Win 7, which has support for another four years. By then Win 8 and Win 10 will be receding nightmares.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby wayno » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 8:30 am

I have 64 bit, it still receives automatic updates regularly...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby lionel » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 3:48 am

Why Windows are pushing Win 10 seems to be more to do with their intention down the track of adopting a subscription model for the operating system. Win 10 might be free now but part of the conditions you agree to when you install it is to accept all upgrades (you will not get a choice as you do with older versions). Eventually this feature could be used to automatically push you into the subscription (pay per month) mode. They are already further down that track with Office software.

I have Win 8 on one computer and Win 7 on an older one. If they are doing the job you want, don't change them. Microsoft are committed to supporting Win 7 till 2020 so I expect your old computer might have outgrown its usefulness before that support stops.
lionel
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 6:04 am

Wow, what a money-spinner.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to Between Bushwalks