Garage Sales

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Garage Sales

Postby raider » Sat 14 May, 2016 5:57 pm

Gee I love garage sales. I live in Wodonga and go out most Saturday mornings with a mate. Today I got an MSR pocket rocket in the red plastic case and a gas canister for 8 dollars. Last week I scored a couple of Paddy Pallin books for 1 dollar and a brand new camo hootchie for 5 dollars ( the bloke had a tub of them but I didn't have enough cash left but I may go back and see him ). Usually come across bits of camo gear as we have the Army Barracks up here. I have also picked up some older camping gear in the past too. Does anyone else do the garage sales rounds ?
raider
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Garage Sales

Postby Eremophila » Sun 15 May, 2016 11:48 am

Used to enjoy them when I lived in Alice Springs, "lawn sales" as they are known up there. Having such a transient population means a high turnover of stuff.

Occasionally I'll have a look, although these days it's generally just if I'm driving past, or out walking early on a Saturday.

Got a Paddy Pallin rain shell in the Alice years ago for $5. It's quite large so good to have as a spare for friends who tag along on a walk, or for outdoor events when it's a bit warmer and I just need some light protection.

But haven't found any "gems" for a long time now. Honestly, most of the sales these days I feel like suggesting they simply hire a skip instead.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Tortoise » Mon 16 May, 2016 10:29 pm

Maybe because I've been in smaller towns? And we don't have an Army barracks. I haven't scored any great bushwalking bargains from garage sales that I remember. Great for other stuff, though. Like a pair of as new Blunnies for $4. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby raider » Tue 17 May, 2016 12:32 am

Yep, I managed to get a pair of lace up / zip up steel caps in good nick for $5. Usually get beaten by the dealers on the real bargains although I scored two large Jack Vettriano prints for $5 each one time from a building company that used them in display homes. My wife happens to love Vettriano so that scored me some serious brownie points. I like paintings and pictures of huts and a couple of months ago I showed some interest in a painting for $10 that was on some sort of tile. On purchasing it I was informed it was actually a slate roofing tile from the old Albury Hospital from the late 1800's :D I do agree though that some people should just hire a bin and the amount of fad gym equipment they sell on the TV is unbelievable. There has been a lot of snowboards and ski gear lately.
raider
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Between Bushwalks