Exploding Samsung Galaxy Note7

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Exploding Samsung Galaxy Note7

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 5:37 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-11/s ... ne/7921272
Oops. Don't use on a plane, in summer or at all. A refund is nicer than an explosion.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Exploding Samsung Galaxy Note7

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 7:14 pm

It's going to be a classic study case on how not to R&D and push out a product.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Strider » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 7:48 pm

GPSGuided wrote:It's going to be a classic study case on how not to R&D and push out a product.

Apple has provided for at least 7 of these to date, and still no one learns.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 9:05 pm

My iPhone battery swelled enough to pop the screen off : 0 It's probably more a case that Samsung have so much to loose and such a large sample than being any more or less safe than competitors. And then when you consider that many devices use cheap unaccounted lithium batteries safety isn't really the issue at all, even these recalled or 'trashed' phones could in fact be as safe as any other.

Really, re airlines , they should provide fireproof storage and that's where all these things using lithium batteries, should go ( if we want to feel safer) While it's far more likely to happen (catching fire, they don't 'explode') during charging you can carry up to 160wh of batteries on many airlines, including charging them, and no standards are expected for their manufacture. Acceptable risk?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 9:49 pm

Strider wrote:
GPSGuided wrote:It's going to be a classic study case on how not to R&D and push out a product.

Apple has provided for at least 7 of these to date, and still no one learns.

Indeed, Apple has provided a classic series of MBA must study lessons through its 11 years of successful annual iPhone releases. Every model has been a market success.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone

Note 7 could be a good fire starter out bush, might even become a favourite for the community. :mrgreen:
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 11:18 pm

Hi Nuts.

Lithium batteries can explode.

First they emit smoke, then they emit flames. If they get hot enough, then the cells begin to reach thermal runaway - and will go bang. The molten materials can scatter many metres.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mlZggVrF9VI

A fire proof area for lithium batteries on an aircraft is not a feasible idea. Grouping lithium batteries together is the last thing you want to do, people keeping them on their person or in carry on is safest because they are generally isolated from each other.

Small, individual lithium battery fires are fairly easily dealt with in the aircraft cabin environment. The initial fire is extinguished using BCF extinguishers (which are the dux nuts of extinguishers), and then the device is submerged in non flammable liquid to cool and prevent thermal runaway.
South_Aussie_Hiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 8:29 am

Rule of computing #18: Computers run on smoke and if the smoke escapes the computer is broken. This rule probably applies to mobile phones.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Nuts » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 9:58 am

South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:Hi Nuts.

Lithium batteries can explode.

First they emit smoke, then they emit flames. If they get hot enough, then the cells begin to reach thermal runaway - and will go bang. The molten materials can scatter many metres.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mlZggVrF9VI

A fire proof area for lithium batteries on an aircraft is not a feasible idea. Grouping lithium batteries together is the last thing you want to do, people keeping them on their person or in carry on is safest because they are generally isolated from each other.

Small, individual lithium battery fires are fairly easily dealt with in the aircraft cabin environment. The initial fire is extinguished using BCF extinguishers (which are the dux nuts of extinguishers), and then the device is submerged in non flammable liquid to cool and prevent thermal runaway.

Hi SAH, I baulk at the term 'explosion' and its use to sensationalise what would take place with a phone battery. I've seen this conversation play out regarding video footage of much larger batteries and even there thermal runaway has resulted in an impressive fire, not what most people would describe as an 'explosion', your phone would hardly blow a hole in your leg or the side out of a plane in these real world scenarios? As may be conveyed. You don't typically extinguish an explosion?

I see no reason devices can't be packed in fireproof sleeves or compartments? Not feasible why? And if it is possible to carry larger lithium batteries in a checked luggage hold or freight environment why not? I've seen a lack of any urgency to promote Ev transport by airlines mentioned, I've seen large lucrative contracts between oil companies & airlines mentioned.

More to the point is any leverage in the noble cause to advance safety. Have a look for the cheapest larger lithium batteries and how they are coming in, ordered directly from China they'll just send another if the first doesn't evade clearance. This is happening as is the use and carriage of a plethora of questionable other replacement batteries or batteries in
questionable devices.

Runaway is definitely going to be worse / longer lasting in multiple voltage/amperage strings, where are the electric wheelchairs stored?

I'd rather see the transport issue resolved as safely as possible but that just doesn't seem to be the case. Some airlines are apparently banning the cartage of electric bikes etc, even without their batteries. The 'safest' batteries are being assembled in Europe and The U.S. but to access these end users and local suppliers are stymied by the need for dangerous goods cert, sea mail and exorbitant shipping costs ( hence the China source).

(a bit ad hoc sorry, I'm struggling with a warped battery , popped screen, glitchy phone for now :) some genuine questions left there along with some frustrating recent involvement in the status quo/ a concern for hindered progress)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 10:47 am

I would agree with SAH. Combining all Li units into one location in close proximity and waiting for one to light up would be pretty crazy. It's like deliberately firing a firecracker in a TNT store. Much safer to see one cracker go up than allowing it to take the rest with it.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 12:42 pm

I hardly think any airline would be bold enough to ban phones etc in cabins. Maybe they shouldn't/ the real risk is indeed negligible. Then again if it really is an issue not 'worth' the risk perhaps lithium isn't the evolved technology we need and they should all stay home? 160w/h could produce a fire something like 3 x the average laptop if carried together.. and it's there in the cabin. I also doubt they couldn't be made safe in cargo, perhaps separated as in cabin? The oxygen can be purged from cargo as I understand? And nobody is going to be crushing them.. I wonder at the amount necessary to cause a breech? I found this article interesting / question inducing ( more than conclusive in itself):

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-up ... 51dfd8e077
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 1:38 pm

Good story of how a risky object carried with a person is more likely to get noticed and managed than one that's stored discretely somewhere else on the plane. By the time a ignited object in the cargo hold is noted, it'll be far harder to put out than one that's in a person's shirt pocket.

Given the prevalence of Li-ion battery use in all things technology, including aircraft batteries, the solution may well be in the engineering and regulatory control of their design, packaging and mechanism of carriage.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Between Bushwalks