Yosemite

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Yosemite

Postby bigwallclimber » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 11:09 am

Hey Everyone,

I was in america but mostly in Yosemite Valley last November and took what I think is my best picture of El Cap (from Tunnel view) after trying for many years to get a better shot.

What do you think.

Dave
Attachments
Tunnel View 2.jpg
Tunnel View
bigwallclimber
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Yosemite

Postby eggs » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 3:03 pm

Yes - its a nice shot of the big wall.
I read there was a recent big rock fall of the face.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby Turfa » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 3:41 pm

Great photo !

That view just as you come out of the tunnel is one of the most dramatic things I have ever seen....
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby puredingo » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 6:26 pm

Sigh....I've wasted my whole life surfing OS and bushwalking local, I should of swapped it around occasionally.

Great photo!
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby johnw » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 10:21 pm

Definitely a nice shot of Yosemite Valley highlighting El Capitan. Looks like you got the light on it at the right time of day. Different time of year, I took this from the same spot when visiting mid-May 2014. I noticed there appears to have been fire through there since? Hoping to go back one day and explore the area in more depth.
Yosemite Valley from Tunnel View Lookout.jpg
Yosemite Valley from Tunnel View Lookout
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Hallu » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 12:59 am

I think I prefer the view from Glacier Point though .
Attachments
11174201_10206788389378744_1432885321754445928_o.jpg
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Orion » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 4:38 am

It's a nice shot but I think the shadow eclipsing part of the scene is a distraction. It obscures Bridalveil Fall. And El Cap is so far away. I don't get the sense of grandeur, that astonishment over just how huge it is, that I always feel when walking or driving by it.

I'm pretty biased though as I've spent hundreds of days in Yosemite Valley, hiking, climbing, and even toting a camera around occasionally. I'm not a photographer but I think my best shots were taken in the middle of winter when the often hazy and/or smoky air is much cleaner, and the snow adds a nice touch.

Pretty hard to beat the shots that Ansel Adams has taken there.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bigwallclimber » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 7:11 am

eggs wrote:Yes - its a nice shot of the big wall.
I read there was a recent big rock fall of the face.

Hi There Eggs,

Yes there was a major rockfall there this month or late September, it is not far from the climb called Zodiac. Unfortunately one person was killed and another seriously injured.

They have also had some major fires last month and they got as far as fish camp and pretty devastating.
Attachments
DSC_0567 2.jpg
bigwallclimber
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby bigwallclimber » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 7:17 am

Orion wrote:It's a nice shot but I think the shadow eclipsing part of the scene is a distraction. It obscures Bridalveil Fall. And El Cap is so far away. I don't get the sense of grandeur, that astonishment over just how huge it is, that I always feel when walking or driving by it.

I'm pretty biased though as I've spent hundreds of days in Yosemite Valley, hiking, climbing, and even toting a camera around occasionally. I'm not a photographer but I think my best shots were taken in the middle of winter when the often hazy and/or smoky air is much cleaner, and the snow adds a nice touch.

Pretty hard to beat the shots that Ansel Adams has taken there.

Hi There Orion,

I certainly do love your photo, Ansel Adams photos are amazing. I agree winter is certainly the best tome to be in the Valley unfortunately not the best times to be climbing on El Cap lol.

I would probably say that we have been in the park at similar times and may have even walked past one another, I would have been one of the climbing bum people that wander the eating areas and getting free refills lol.

The place has so much grandeur and so much history you can never learn enough. Good story I took my parents there and they had heard all my stories of climbing on El Cap and Half dome. When they saw El Cap the truly understood the enormous size of it and understand now the fascination I have for the place and why I go there so much.

Would love to see more of everyone's photos of the Valley.

Dave
bigwallclimber
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Orion » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 10:00 am

bigwallclimber wrote:Hi There Orion,

I certainly do love your photo, Ansel Adams photos are amazing. I agree winter is certainly the best tome to be in the Valley unfortunately not the best times to be climbing on El Cap lol.

I didn't post a photo. Maybe you mean one that John or Hallu posted?

bigwallclimber wrote:Would love to see more of everyone's photos of the Valley.

Maybe I will try to dig some up.

There are so many good vantage points. Some require a little bit of walking: part way up the Snow Creek trail, the talus below Middle Cathedral, the Diving Board, the top of El Capitan itself, and many more. You don't need a fancy camera or skill as a photographer to get a nice shot, just clean air and position. It must be one of the most photographed places in the world.

One of my favorite shots I took with a cardboard camera. It isn't an exceptional or unique photo -- I'm certain you could find dozens that are very similar but better at capturing the enormity of the place. But the photo has a personal quality, as well as good position.

Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bigwallclimber » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 10:34 am

Orion wrote:
bigwallclimber wrote:Hi There Orion,

I didn't post a photo. Maybe you mean one that John or Hallu posted?

bigwallclimber wrote:Would love to see more of everyone's photos of the Valley.

Maybe I will try to dig some up.

There are so many good vantage points. Some require a little bit of walking: part way up the Snow Creek trail, the talus below Middle Cathedral, the Diving Board, the top of El Capitan itself, and many more. You don't need a fancy camera or skill as a photographer to get a nice shot, just clean air and position. It must be one of the most photographed places in the world.

One of my favorite shots I took with a cardboard camera. It isn't an exceptional or unique photo -- I'm certain you could find dozens that are very similar but better at capturing the enormity of the place. But the photo has a personal quality, as well as good position.

Hi there Orion,

Is that shot taken on the shield I would and more than likely the headwall ?

I have one on my facebook of just above the nipple pitch (Bivvy) on Zodiac which I love, I will have to dig some of those up lol.

Anywhere you walk for a for an hour or two and get to a high point is so magnificent.

Thanks for the photo

Dave
bigwallclimber
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Orion » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 10:45 am

Yes, of course, that's the top of the Triple Cracks.

The Zorro Roofs bivy is a good one, isn't it? I can almost hear the bats chirping as I lay on my ledge...

Isn't this an Australian forum? :-)
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Between Bushwalks