Other 'Outdoor' Stuff Folks Do

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Re: Other 'Outdoor' Stuff Folks Do

Postby johnw » Mon 29 Mar, 2010 11:38 pm

Macca81 wrote:
michael_p wrote:Weapon of choice.

reign? 08 model maybe? latest model has an updated rear shock i think... but cant be certain...

I think it's a Trance X, you can just about make it out on the frame. I gather it's either an all-mountain or possibly freeride/downhill model, not that I know anything much about them. Except it's better (and much more expensive) than mine.

Tony wrote:Mountain running and Vets bike racing.

Crossing the line in the 2009 ACT vets mountain running champs (3rd M50 2009, in the 2010 vets champs I came 4th M55, the first 3 M55 beat the first M50 and me by a lot)

Well done Tony, keep it up. At 55 I can relate to this. And reminds me of that high-profile Tony who does similar things. :wink:

Me - Distance running up to half-marathon, more usually 10-15 km events though only occasionally. Mostly just run 5-10 km regularly to keep fit. Unfortunately have had some injuries in last 9 months, some probably long term impact-related, then fell flat on my face bushwalking not long ago and now carrying a minor but painful shoulder injury. Recently took up MTB trail riding as cross-training and just for fun. Doctors and physio have asked why do so much, my reply is I'd rather wear out than rust out. Too many of my peers are obese couch dwellers in poor health.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tony » Tue 30 Mar, 2010 7:49 am

Hi John,

johnw wrote:Well done Tony, keep it up. At 55 I can relate to this. And reminds me of that high-profile Tony who does similar things. :wink:

Me - Distance running up to half-marathon, more usually 10-15 km events though only occasionally. Mostly just run 5-10 km regularly to keep fit. Unfortunately have had some injuries in last 9 months, some probably long term impact-related, then fell flat on my face bushwalking not long ago and now carrying a minor but painful shoulder injury. Recently took up MTB trail riding as cross-training and just for fun. Doctors and physio have asked why do so much, my reply is I'd rather wear out than rust out. Too many of my peers are obese couch dwellers in poor health.

My body is also suffering from years of running and cycling, that is why I do a bit of both, most of my running mates have now got bad knees and are unable to run anymore. I have just been battling a sore knee from cycling, running does not appear to hurt it as much.

One thing that annoys me with running and cycling races is that all of these old people keep beating me, and I mean old. One of the mountain runners is 83 yo but I can beat him. (this person is my hero) I also would rather wear out than rust out.

Another hero's, is one of the M55 runners that I compete against, a few years ago, he was the M50 world long and short distance mountain running champion, he is 58 now and still beats all but the most elite Mountain runners, he still reels of regular sub 3 hour marathons. check some of his results out.

http://www.mountainrunning.coolrunning. ... rsonID=336

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby johnw » Tue 30 Mar, 2010 10:37 pm

Hi Tony,
Tony wrote:My body is also suffering from years of running and cycling, that is why I do a bit of both, most of my running mates have now got bad knees and are unable to run anymore. I have just been battling a sore knee from cycling, running does not appear to hurt it as much.

I have the reverse problem with a bad knee from running that I'm trying to rest through cycling. It often hurts when I run but not usually when riding the bike.

Tony wrote:One thing that annoys me with running and cycling races is that all of these old people keep beating me, and I mean old. One of the mountain runners is 83 yo but I can beat him. (this person is my hero) I also would rather wear out than rust out.

Yes there are some remarkable old guys around. I find it a bit embarrassing if I manage a PB to be beaten by someone 25 years older. I have an old uncle who has run every Sydney City to Surf since it's inception. He's 91 and can now only walk it, with a bit of shuffling/jogging here and there, but still managed to finish last year.

Tony wrote:Another hero's, is one of the M55 runners that I compete against, a few years ago, he was the M50 world long and short distance mountain running champion, he is 58 now and still beats all but the most elite Mountain runners, he still reels of regular sub 3 hour marathons. check some of his results out.

http://www.mountainrunning.coolrunning. ... rsonID=336

That's a breathtaking record. I know of him, possibly from Wild mag as they sometimes report on mountain running.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tony » Wed 31 Mar, 2010 8:52 am

Hi John,

johnw wrote:Yes there are some remarkable old guys around. I find it a bit embarrassing if I manage a PB to be beaten by someone 25 years older. I have an old uncle who has run every Sydney City to Surf since it's inception. He's 91 and can now only walk it, with a bit of shuffling/jogging here and there, but still managed to finish last year.

I also find it embarrassing to be beaten by someone 25 years older but I also find it very rewarding when the person you pass up that steep hill or just before the finish is half your age.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby michael_p » Wed 31 Mar, 2010 12:48 pm

Macca81 wrote:

reign? 08 model maybe? latest model has an updated rear shock i think... but cant be certain...

'09 Trance X2.
Upgraded crankset to Race Face Deus XC.
Upgraded front fork to the RLC version.
Rear shock is the Fox RP2 (with Propedal).

johnw wrote:

Makes my budget hardtail look sick :(

Don't feel bad, my first mtb was a relatively inexpensive hardtail.

Cheers,
Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Area54 » Wed 31 Mar, 2010 1:28 pm

I'm shopping for a new XC race bike, either Pivot Mach 4 or Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon. Deadline is next January, if I don't have a frame by then I'll get the SC on my next US trip.
Gold is just a windy Kansas wheatfield, blue is just a Kansas summer sky...
Area54
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby michael_p » Wed 31 Mar, 2010 6:16 pm

Two guys I know have Pivot Mach 4s and one of them has a Mach 4 and a Firebird. He reckons the Pivots are better bikes than the Santa Cruz Nomad he use to own. I know the SC bikes are very highly regarded by many but this particular persons rides a lot (including most of the big events, racing and enduro) and his preference for the Pivots I think would make me have a hard look at them. Food for thought.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Macca81 » Wed 31 Mar, 2010 9:34 pm

Area54 wrote:Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon

*drool*
geoskid wrote:nothing but the best of several brands will do :)
Macca81
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Herbalife
Region: Tasmania

Postby johnw » Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:35 pm

Tony wrote:I also find it embarrassing to be beaten by someone 25 years older but I also find it very rewarding when the person you pass up that steep hill or just before the finish is half your age.
Too true Tony... I've had some moments like that :)

michael_p wrote:Don't feel bad, my first mtb was a relatively inexpensive hardtail.
I guess mine is OK for a novice, '09 Mongoose rockadile ALX, and can possibly handle more than its rider is currently capable of anyway :roll:. I haven't broken it yet at least. Still I've already started mentally formulating arguments (for my wife) as to why I'll need to upgrade it in due course :).
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Sun 22 Aug, 2010 7:53 pm

I just found this link, thought it topical to this discussion...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wr92E6oxSM&NR=1

Stuff that!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby lyndoor » Fri 27 Aug, 2010 11:23 pm

Hey Area54,
how does your co-pilot go on the waveski, longboard & goatboat? What the hell is a goatboat?

...and by the way, do you always take your pot plant with you!!!? :lol:

Cheers lyndoor
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Liamy77 » Sat 28 Aug, 2010 11:20 am

bushcraft, cooking, used to rock climb more.... want to get into kayaking more... (once i can find / borrow a kayak again...)
By bushcrafti mean carving, knapping, basecamping, i also include remote building / repairs alternate and traditional methods... (i get roped into working bees from time to time)
most of this fade in and out depending on my mood etc... but always try to do this stuff with my kids - so i guess the most consistant pass time i enjoy is being the best dad i can be. :wink:
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby Area54 » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 11:16 pm

lyndoor wrote:Hey Area54,
how does your co-pilot go on the waveski, longboard & goatboat? What the hell is a goatboat?

...and by the way, do you always take your pot plant with you!!!? :lol:

Cheers lyndoor

Lots of room for us both on the mal, big ole single fin. and a goatboat is slang for a surfski, short 2.3m long and performance orientated, she sits in between my knees. Co-pilot came snowboarding with me last week too.

We always take along that Golden Cane palm in the trailer, little bit of home :lol:
Gold is just a windy Kansas wheatfield, blue is just a Kansas summer sky...
Area54
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby tasadam » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 5:13 pm

OK I have found a link that is sort of appropriate here... Not that I do any of this!
http://biggeekdad.com/2010/06/top-10-jumps/
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Macca81 » Tue 31 Aug, 2010 4:05 pm

^^^^ Wow... nothin else to say to that really...
geoskid wrote:nothing but the best of several brands will do :)
Macca81
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Herbalife

Postby ninjapuppet » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 10:42 am

HARDCORE TO THE MAX!
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby Liamy77 » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 3:22 pm

i'd love to try...... attached to a cable tho
Taggunnah
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!

Postby eddie the eagle » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi Nuts,

I used to do field archery for a sideline income. Involved removing feral animals from properties next to towns, as it was quiet and instantly effective.

Also used to cave a lot.

Now, it's only walking, having married a pacifist 17 years ago.

Cheers,

eddie
eddie the eagle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Liamy77 » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 10:22 pm

my whole family (except for my 2yo girl) do archery too but target and 3d (nothing living) used to cave too up until about the time of the moonlight creek incident (was there a week or two earlier)
we do occasionally cull bunnies on the farm .... but not with the bow... rifle and tan the hides etc...
Last edited by Liamy77 on Sun 12 Sep, 2010 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Taggunnah
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Charlievee » Sat 11 Sep, 2010 12:49 pm

Sorry if this offends some. I hunt, fish, do bushcraft and that sort of stuff. I'm a gear buff and I'm always out trialing a new knife, axe, gun, bow, stove, bag or something. Regards, CV
A man's best friend is his knife, not his dog...
Charlievee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby flyfisher » Sat 11 Sep, 2010 1:28 pm

Doesn't offend me Charlievee, I used to hunt, and shot in comps with sporting shooters for many years but now mainly walk and troutfish. I think many others on here are similar although mainly walking, but anything outdoors is of interest.

ff
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby ninjapuppet » Sat 11 Sep, 2010 8:53 pm

I think fly fishing and bushwalking go together hand in hand perfectly, and compliment each other very well.

I'm just starting to get into fly fishing, having just gotten myself 3 tenkara rods and some cheap traditional flyrods.
(i never knew fly rods can reach several thousand dollars)I know nothing about it, but joined a few forums and a local club.

Now this had never occured to me but there appears a bunch of people out there who are AGAINST fishing! Met a few hostile people who didnt take too kindly to my new hobby. More so if I hadn't practiced catch and release!

I hunt too but i can understand how some people have this "bad" image of shooters since they think the pesky rabbits are cute. but to think the same of fishing is abit over the top.
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby flyfisher » Sat 11 Sep, 2010 9:26 pm

ninjapuppet wrote:I think fly fishing and bushwalking go together hand in hand perfectly, and compliment each other very well.

I'm just starting to get into fly fishing, having just gotten myself 3 tenkara rods and some cheap traditional flyrods.
(i never knew fly rods can reach several thousand dollars)I know nothing about it, but joined a few forums and a local club.

Now this had never occured to me but there appears a bunch of people out there who are AGAINST fishing! Met a few hostile people who didnt take too kindly to my new hobby. More so if I hadn't practiced catch and release!

I hunt too but i can understand how some people have this "bad" image of shooters since they think the pesky rabbits are cute. but to think the same of fishing is abit over the top.

Yeah ninjapuppet, I agree mate 100%
ff
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Liamy77 » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 12:19 am

ninjapuppet wrote:I think fly fishing and bushwalking go together hand in hand perfectly, and compliment each other very well.

they are cutest in my bowl with a warm slab of bread on the side... how do those same folk feel about fluffy kittens (also an introduced species out of balance) as they decimate our wildlife i wonder?
Taggunnah
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Nuts » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 1:04 pm

eddie the eagle wrote:Hi Nuts,

I used to do field archery for a sideline income. Involved removing feral animals from properties next to towns, as it was quiet and instantly effective.

Also used to cave a lot.

Now, it's only walking, having married a pacifist 17 years ago.

Cheers,

eddie

Thats interesting... I did some hunting with rifle and bow as a kid, just target now...
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 14 Sep, 2010 8:39 pm

Charlievee wrote:Sorry if this offends some. I hunt, fish, do bushcraft and that sort of stuff. I'm a gear buff and I'm always out trialing a new knife, axe, gun, bow, stove, bag or something. Regards, CV

Nothing wrong with culling ferals, mate. The more the better.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Liamy77 » Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:20 am

north-north-west wrote:Nothing wrong with culling ferals, mate. The more the better.

what about hippie types and red-necks tho?! 8) :wink:
id suggest emo's but they r beggin for it already? :lol:
Taggunnah
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby iandsmith » Thu 14 Oct, 2010 6:56 am

I race pushbikes but, in the past, I used to do motorcycle enduros, surf and play football. These days I love my photography in addition to the two wheels and I've also joined a bird watching club but, I have to confess, that's mainly for ID's.
I was a volunteer at the recent World Championships at Geelong.
Interesting how many of you are into kayaking.
Cheers all.
Attachments
Winner.JPG
Winning ride
Winner.JPG (131.23 KiB) Viewed 13670 times
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Thu 14 Oct, 2010 10:10 am

iandsmith wrote:Interesting how many of you are into kayaking.

I've just returned from Fiji and tried kayaking for the first time while there. At high tide we had free use of 1p and 2p Ocean Kayak Mailbu craft (sit on top). Limited to paddling around the lagoon where we were staying, about 1/2km long and maybe 300m wide. Just enough to get an idea of flat water paddling, although it could get quite choppy and hard going in the afternoons when the wind got up with a bit of surf coming over the breakwater. I found it enjoyable in a masochistic kind of way, and was using it partly as a fitness activity (my shoulders are still sore). A bushwalking organisation I belong to also runs paddling trips, so I wouldn't mind trying some easier trips and might get around to that eventually.

Also tried snorkelling for the first time last Sunday. Took a bit of getting used to but the views into the coral reef offshore were incredible. All those brightly coloured fish really do look like that and vision was crystal clear.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby recurveron » Mon 18 Oct, 2010 7:22 pm

Good to see a few others who enjoy fishing and hunting of introduced species , was a bit reluctent too mention it on this site but just goes to show how many enjoy the outdoors in varying ways.Thats what first brought me to this site searching for information on gear that would take me into extended off track walks in the Vic Alps in pursuit of deer , also enjoy boating and diving.
recurveron
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Between Bushwalks