Home theatre and Audio query

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Home theatre and Audio query

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 23 Jan, 2019 1:46 pm

Some of you might remember than one of my pastimes is salvaging and rebuilding old speakers. I need to build some new subwoofers for the stereo and as I can't afford to buy new drivers I am trying to use what I have in the shed. Does anybody here have any experience with digital signal manipulation and can advise me if the little DSP unit currently on sale in the USA is worth buying and playing around with?

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-au ... o--230-500
This is half the price that I paid for my current EXO and has far more functionality built in and I wonder how reliable it is, as making warranty claims in the USA from here is a right Royal pain in the rear end as we all know
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Home theatre and Audio query

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 4:42 pm

I did some research and went ahead and bought the unit. BUT
I think it is interesting that buying locally through the WES systems subsidiary LSK was actually cheaper then buying in the USA and having it posted, mainly due to the way they calculated the Australia Tax and add on their own fees and collection charges.
There was only a couple of dollars in it but it was here in 3 days and not 2 weeks and fully warranted here; just in case something goes wrong
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hiking Noob » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 6:29 pm

Wow, I'm glad I came across this thread, I bought a Sure Electronics something something to do a stereo active two way crossover and a low pass for the sub almost two years ago.

It seemed quite powerful for the money but was pretty confusing to get working when I bought it, I may end up buying one of those Dayton units as it would just be a useful thing to have lying around.
I rebuilt a mate's DJ type speakers with Dayton drivers and they are ridiculous for the money, they were one of the only cheaper 12" drivers that would suit a ~1cu ft ported enclosure. The difference in sound quality and output between the factory items and the new drivers was amazing, hopefully a drunk mate doesn't melt the tweeters again, hahaha!
Hiking Noob
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 2:17 pm

MD, home theatre and general home audio gears these days have very wide price points, not sure self made system can match their quality and practicality at any of those price points. Apart from wanting to play geek, you are more likely than not to end up spending way more money and time. The audio electronic scene has changed so much since its hay days back then.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 3:25 pm

I build speakers not audio gear. What I build would cost many many thousands of dollars retail , mainly because looks are not so important to me and most of the money in high end gear is in the cosmetics
But DSP is the cheapest and easiest way to get great sound from good gear
Amplifiers now are very different from speakers Speakers have always been the weak link in most Audio and I can built much better much cheaper DIY
I'm only upgrading the home Theatre because modern TVs need modern Pre-amps, hence the need for a new Yamaha [ well that and the old Rotel system is too weak at 70Watts a channel] pushing 200watts
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 4:17 pm

Here are a few quick pix of what my DSP has to work with.
The CV are good enough but I can't get them to go low enough even with DSP
They are being replaced with the old school 15inch woofers while I save for some real drivers
For home theatre we are not really fussed about SQ so long as voices are distinct and clear so the old school Sansui work well for that, although they have been rebuilt from scratch
But for the stereo I want the best sound I can get. Generally with speakers the drivers are about 10% of the retail cost of the speakers, those drivers cost about $350- per box, they mass about 45 kilos per box
Attachments
IMG_0749.JPG
The old Subwoofers I am replacing Big ugly things
IMG_0749.JPG (143.23 KiB) Viewed 261 times
IMG_0747.JPG
Real Old School drivers but with new Kevlar cones
IMG_0747.JPG (138.23 KiB) Viewed 261 times
IMG_0748.JPG
Because these are so deep I have to built totally new boxes and they have to be down-firing to get the response low enough
IMG_0748.JPG (130.43 KiB) Viewed 261 times
IMG_0750.JPG
The loungeroom with both H/T and Stereo speakers
IMG_0750.JPG (96.39 KiB) Viewed 261 times
IMG_0751.JPG
Bult these a few years ago, Grandkids popped in the dust caps so I will need to replace these at some stage
IMG_0751.JPG (92.28 KiB) Viewed 261 times
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 4:50 pm

I see.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii