New Bushwalk Tasmania Wiki

Discussion about this site, including these forums (eg, suggestions, comments, queries). Topics may be manually deleted occasionally (eg, after suggestions dealt with, or changes bedded in).

New Bushwalk Tasmania Wiki

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 18 Sep, 2008 1:16 pm

As requested and discussed in other topics on the forums, a Bushwalk Tasmania Wiki is now available via the new "Wiki" link in the navigation bar at the top right of every Bushwalk Tasmania page. My humble apologies for taking so long to get this off the ground (I've been busy with other projects, including automating the photo competition and another as-yet-undisclosed Bushwalk Tasmania project, as well as all the other non-Bushwalk Tasmania projects I work on occasionally).

There is currently not a lot of information on the Wiki (being new, and all that), but anyone who is a contributing member of the forums is welcome to edit and add to the wiki. If you wish to do so, you'll first need to apply to join the 'wiki' forums group. To do this, just go to the forums' User Control Panel (link near top left of every forums page), then click the 'Usergroups' tab. You can then click the 'select' radio button to the right of the 'Wiki' group name, choose 'Join Selected' from the popup, then click 'Submit'. Note that your request will need to be approved first, but I plan to approve just about anyone who's made any reasonable contribution to the forums here.

The authentication of the wiki is partially integrated with the forums authentication. So once your "wiki" group membership has been approved on the forums, you can then use your forums username and password to log on to the wiki.

Wiki group members are also able to use the 'Wiki' forum which is currently not visible to non wiki group members. I may eventually open this forum up to everyone if there is enough demand for it. It could be a useful place for non-wiki members to post ideas or suggestions for the wiki if they do not wish to become editors of the wiki themselves.

Note that you don't need to be a wiki group member (and you do not need to log in to the wiki) in order to just browse/view the wiki. Viewing the wiki content is public and open to all.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: New Bushwalk Tasmania Wiki

Postby walkinTas » Thu 18 Sep, 2008 1:23 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:Wiki group members are also able to use the 'Wiki' forum which is currently not visible to non wiki group members. I may eventually open this forum up to everyone if there is enough demand for it. It could be a useful place for non-wiki members to post ideas or suggestions for the wiki if they do not wish to become editors of the wiki themselves.

I think that would be an excellent idea Nik. I can imagine there might well be some members who initially don't wish to edit the wiki directly, but might like to make suggestions that other members could take up.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: New Bushwalk Tasmania Wiki

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 24 Sep, 2008 11:47 am

Note that the 'Wiki' forum is now accessible to all registered forum users. This means that if members do not wish to edit the Wiki themselves, they can still comment on it in the 'Wiki' forum, including suggestions for changes/additions to content.

I will shortly go through the 'Wiki' forum and delete all the old content that is related to the initial set up of the Wiki, as that is of no further relevance to the general community.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Return to Forum & Site