Moderation

Discussion about this site, including these forums (eg, suggestions, comments, queries). Topics may be manually deleted occasionally (eg, after suggestions dealt with, or changes bedded in).

Re: Moderation

Postby Drifting » Sat 23 Feb, 2013 5:17 pm

And my second lot of 2 cents worth is- the forum with a wisely used ban/suspend button is a happy forum. I speak from personal experience.
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby wayno » Sat 23 Feb, 2013 5:19 pm

by wisely do you mean , minimal or maximal use>?
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Drifting » Sat 23 Feb, 2013 5:25 pm

Appropriate force for need :-)

How's that for a lawyer's answer?
Drifting

Postby wayno » Sat 23 Feb, 2013 5:27 pm

i havent seen much evedience i'ts been used at all in my year and a bit here.... just the moderators warning people when they don't like threads... then things go quiet aand then it starts all over again.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drifting » Sat 23 Feb, 2013 5:50 pm

Yes...
Drifting

Postby wayno » Sat 23 Feb, 2013 5:53 pm

and again..... :D
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Sat 23 Feb, 2013 5:55 pm

tasadam i think mentioned he was disgusted with a thread last week, and he didnt even moderate, it, if the thread was that offensive i couldnt understand why he just didnt suspend the accounts of the offenders. problem solved, no more offensive posts from the offenders.... none of the ongoing gripes that we're still discussing...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Sat 23 Feb, 2013 7:22 pm

wayno wrote:tasadam i think mentioned he was disgusted with a thread last week, and he didnt even moderate, it, if the thread was that offensive i couldn't understand why he just didnt suspend the accounts of the offenders. problem solved, no more offensive posts from the offenders.... none of the ongoing gripes that we're still discussing...

In the event that I may offend you wayno( and yes this is directed personally to you) having a shot at tasadam is I believe a bit low,provocative and not within the ethics of this forum.
You come across as someone who wants to comment on everything regardless of whether you have first hand knowledge of the topic or not which is fair enough provided you dont sook if someone disagrees with you.
Are you still enjoying your Tassie holiday :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Nuts » Sat 23 Feb, 2013 7:49 pm

Ahem..

It is indeed a pity that you felt your daughter shouldn't post here Drifting (though iirc you just offered to swap one for a book :wink: ) and personally I would rather nobody felt the need to abandon the forum. We've seen that there are various reasons, it would be difficult to gauge how many aren't visiting but it is pretty obvious it happens (let's hope none caused by my occasional lapses..). Perhaps that this is difficult to gauge, in as far as there being so many sensitivities, infers how difficult it is to control. That and the fact that some of the most experienced 'locals' who just as often/ alternatively give very valuable advice (sneaky *&%$#!) are also some of the worst offenders. Sometimes i'm sure other forum members don't even know what is/isn't some sort of niggle.

Personally I think that the forum has been well enough 'in control' ..to a degree, in business they say the successful figure is 80% satisfied. If we don't have that perhaps we need a collective group hug :wink:

Anyhow, i'm sure the admin are open to further suggestions (I believe that topic has been dealt with Wayno. I haven't re-read. Perhaps to save doing that 'someone' could review and report any remaining offending posts. I'm not sure where it started to go wrong, it really didn't need to be a big deal.. (for those involved..).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby blacksheep » Sat 23 Feb, 2013 8:31 pm

Everything in moderation, including moderation- Oscar Wilde.

(Mind you, he ended up dying in prison, so perhaps he's not the ideal life coach..)
Good design is a kind of alchemy.
www.alchemy-equipment.com
blacksheep

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TBA.

Postby corvus » Sat 23 Feb, 2013 9:21 pm

blacksheep wrote:Everything in moderation, including moderation- Oscar Wilde.

(Mind you, he ended up dying in prison, so perhaps he's not the ideal life coach..)

Sorry blacksheep Oscar did not die in prison but in penuary :(
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Drifting » Sat 23 Feb, 2013 10:29 pm

Nuts- that wasn't meant as a critcism of you or the other admin staff. It was meant for those who are making it hard. I'm too busy for forums nowadays anyhow, really. I just find that there's a high likelihood that anything I put on here will recieve some sort of response that will get my blood pressure up, and I really don't need that. The members who want to have a bit of argy bargy have quite obviously prevailed, and I really don't have the time or the interest to play. After all, the best way to win that game is not to play at all. I'm happy enough as it is, to be honest. I just think it's a pity, is all, especially after all the work that has gone into the site.

Like I said, it's your (collectively) site, and it's really nothing to me.

And I very much regret the book post. The finger's hovered over the delete button plenty of times,trust me. I just don't want to be personally involved with some of the people on here, and I should have known better. Actually, I'm going to go zap it now.

Anyhow, once again, I wasn't criticising you as much as those who just can't seem to stop pushing the boundaries and testing the rules. I spend all day with teenagers who don't act like that, and it's a bit disappointing in adults.
Drifting

Postby Drifting » Sat 23 Feb, 2013 10:31 pm

Bugger- can't delete or edit old posts. Well, that's what I get for being a dumb-####.
Drifting

Postby tasadam » Sat 23 Feb, 2013 11:16 pm

Don't stress.
If you get any argy-bargy as you put it, or negative response that is not in keeping with the rules, report it. Then we as moderators / admins are compelled to act.
But if you (anyone) don't report what offends you, we don't necessarily know about it, or see it as not worth the time to fix if no-one took offense, so it gets left.
"Friendly, polite" is in the rules.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby wayno » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 4:27 am

this isnt a shot at tasadam, he has a right to moderate as he sees fit, but obviously there is nmore than one way to approach the matter i was just wondering aloud as to hte way the moderators choose to work, i dont doubt they work by established logic...
i can respect his decision to moderate the way he does,
he takes the time and effort to moderate and communicate with people as he sees fit and appropriate.
if it was me i'd be out to take a quick approach for a messy thread and just stop offenders from messing things up too much

sadly, and i mean genuinely sadly i've had to end my tassie holiday, it was a great place to visit, only spoiled by a badly planned driving route by me between walks that meant i spent too much time and energy driving and not enough bushwalking....
i'm not going to compare tassie to nz, it has its uniqueness that stands on its own feet, but i enjoyed walking there every bit as much as i have in nz....
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby blacksheep » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 4:36 am

corvus wrote:

corvus

See, that's exactly why we need mods. :lol:
blacksheep

Postby corvus » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 9:21 pm

blacksheep wrote:
corvus wrote:

corvus

See, that's exactly why we need mods. :lol:

No blacksheep not mods just checked facts b4 posting :lol:
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby blacksheep » Mon 25 Feb, 2013 4:52 am

But....this is the internet.. :wink:
blacksheep

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 25 Feb, 2013 7:58 am

wayno wrote:i havent seen much evedience i'ts been used at all in my year and a bit here.... just the moderators warning people when they don't like threads... then things go quiet aand then it starts all over again.

Off the top of my head, at least three of the people involved in this very discussion have received bannings, and at least two others have received official warnings in the past. We don't make a big deal about publishing bannings to people other than the banned.

The banning feature certainly does get used. Finding the right balance for it is very difficult of course.

(Having said that, I don't get involved in moderation as much these days.)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 25 Feb, 2013 8:02 am

wayno wrote:i was just wondering aloud as to hte way the moderators choose to work, i dont doubt they work by established logic...

There's a bit about this in the "Moderation Guidelines" at the end of the "Rules" page (link at top right).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Previous

Return to Forum & Site