advertisements for mining

Discussion about this site, including these forums (eg, suggestions, comments, queries). Topics may be manually deleted occasionally (eg, after suggestions dealt with, or changes bedded in).

advertisements for mining

Postby beardless » Tue 22 Oct, 2013 7:51 am

Thought it was slightly odd that there was an add for mining job opportunities on this site. I realise that the site needs to be paid for somehow and also unless we don't want metal tent poles or compasses we cannot be against all mining but it just seemed odd that mining is promoted which can cause insane amounts of damage to sensitive environments and water catchments and yet off track walking is censored which I an not saying is a bad thing.
beardless
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Re: advertisements for mining

Postby MrWalker » Tue 22 Oct, 2013 4:36 pm

Some people here enjoy looking around old mining sites or fossicking for minerals. It is not unreasonable to suppose that someone here might be interested in a job that takes them into remote areas.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby icefest » Tue 22 Oct, 2013 6:27 pm

beardless wrote:Thought it was slightly odd that there was an add for mining job opportunities on this site. I realise that the site needs to be paid for somehow and also unless we don't want metal tent poles or compasses we cannot be against all mining but it just seemed odd that mining is promoted which can cause insane amounts of damage to sensitive environments and water catchments and yet off track walking is censored which I an not saying is a bad thing.

I've added emphasis where I feel that it is necessary. Mining doesn't necessarily cause insane damage. As with many things, it's more about the relative damage.

I agree there are mines that are really bad, but then look how little damage some 300 year old mine sites have caused.

Coal mines are somewhat different, as are uranium mines, but even so both can have a local, relatively small, impact.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby wildwalks » Tue 22 Oct, 2013 9:05 pm

Hi Beardless
thanks for letting me know. Do you know if you where logged in when you saw the ad?? if you see the ad again can you grab a screen shot.
There are two sets of ads displayed -- mostly bushwalking specific ads for when we are logged in -- then general Google ad for people not logged in.
I have tried my best to limit the ads -- but happy to look at the filters again.

Matt :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW
Region: New South Wales

Postby beardless » Tue 22 Oct, 2013 9:48 pm

Fair points Mr Walker and icefest.

Wildwalks, it is quite likely that I was not logged on when I saw the mining employment opportunities ad. If I see them in the future I will try to get a screen shot.
beardless
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby beardless » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 7:22 am

Saw again on Friday an advertisement for FIFI mining opportunities when accessing this site from my mobile. But I could not work out how to take a screen shot on three mobile.
beardless
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby beardless » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 7:24 am

FIFO. (FIFI is the family dog)
beardless
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 9:07 am

It's in the add choices and I think the sneaky things are tailored to your goolge search interests, maybe topic key words? I don't really see what the drama is with advertising mining jobs in particular but i'm pretty sure you can disable the adds?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby wildwalks » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 7:57 pm

Thanks. There are no ads on the mobile view if you are logged in.
Matt :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW
Region: New South Wales

Return to Forum & Site