Desktop version
Discussion about this site, including these forums (eg, suggestions, comments, queries). Topics may be manually deleted occasionally (eg, after suggestions dealt with, or changes bedded in).
Post a reply

Like button

Tue 03 Dec, 2013 6:25 am

It would be good to have a 'post liked' button or agree/disagree button
for instance a pic posted or trip report

Re: Like button

Tue 03 Dec, 2013 9:37 am

Thanks Greyim
+1
I like the idea and it is on my todo list -- hope to have it early next year.

thanks

Matt :)

Tue 03 Dec, 2013 10:40 am

Does that mean that each time we hit that "like" button, we'll be linked to our FB account? ;)

Tue 11 Nov, 2014 6:28 pm

Any update on the upvoting/downvoting feature Matt?

(apologies for the necropost)

Tue 25 Nov, 2014 12:56 pm

Sorry Icefest -- I have completely dropped the ball on this one. Fell off my todo list.
I did add a page (thread) Facebook like button -- but not individual post one.

I like the idea of an individual FB like button for each post. -- similar effect but means only FB members can like an article (but also means that we can invite people not Bushwalk.com members to like stuff) -- this would give Bushwalk.com a bit more coverage in Social Meadia world. (it is also easy to implement).
Downside is that we can't easily check the most popular post etc.

thoughts? (thanks for the reminder)

Tue 25 Nov, 2014 2:20 pm

Yeah, that would be OK. I do like the idea of being able to get specific feedback on individual posts. A 'dislike' (as opposed to 'unlike') option would also be useful. ;)

Tue 25 Nov, 2014 4:58 pm

Mmmm,be careful on the '"like " & "dislike" idea, you will find some people will post just to rack up likes,it has ruined a couple of sites,that I know of,one in particular, is a Camino Santiago site,used to be good for info,now a lot of nastiness & they seemed to have created a"good old boys" network......just my observation,for what it's worth. :) .............Vicrev

Tue 25 Nov, 2014 5:07 pm

Vicrev has a point. Some known social psychology can surface with these implementations. Knowing the true objective is to highlight useful posts, a balance could be achieved by implementing a user quota on "Like" clicks per fixed time frame.

Tue 25 Nov, 2014 8:21 pm

What I also noticed,people would click on the" like" button because they liked the person,not because of the content of the post.....Maybe if there was a time frame as GPS suggests,could work OK...........Vicrev

Wed 26 Nov, 2014 8:56 am

There is a like button in use over at the forums in ski.com.au and it works well. I can recommend it's introduction here. It is nothing to do with FB.

Sun 30 Nov, 2014 8:31 pm

Interesting feedback -- thanks guys.
I guess the questions then is "What is the purpose of a like/dislike button"??
That can change the way we implement it.
I can see how it can get abused in several ways.
Maybe me getting my but into gear and getting the Q&A section actually up and running might answer most of these issue. Allowing people to vote on the most useful answer to a specific question.

I think this is they we ended up adding the like button the thread in general - rather then to individual posts. I can see how people with use it to play fav's and vote down unpopular people (rather then content).

Sun 30 Nov, 2014 9:30 pm

I am sure there are many positive reasons for having a 'Like' function. To me,

- To give appreciation and acknowledgment for a reply without posting a bland two words "Thank you" post, causing the tread to show up again in the 'new posts' list.
- To highlight posts with 'useful' information within a long discussion thread.
- To support a particular POV. But this one can get real tricky on contentious subjects eg. Politics and religion amongst others.

I'd particularly _like_ to hear more of Icefest's take on this too.

Mon 01 Dec, 2014 7:35 am

GPSGuided wrote:I am sure there are many positive reasons for having a 'Like' function. To me,

- To give appreciation and acknowledgment for a reply without posting a bland two words "Thank you" post, causing the tread to show up again in the 'new posts' list.
- To highlight posts with 'useful' information within a long discussion thread.
- To support a particular POV. But this one can get real tricky on contentious subjects eg. Politics and religion amongst others.

I'd particularly _like_ to hear more of Icefest's take on this too.

_like_

:)

Wed 03 Dec, 2014 7:42 pm

My take:

The like/thanks button is to give a poster a signal that their post has been helpful to you, in a way that doesn't require a post that just says "Thanks".
The way I'd integrate this into the site is by placing a button to the left of the "top" button below the posters name. Bottom right corner of this image: http://puu.sh/dfc9h/7a0313167e.jpg
I would not make the amount of likes or the posters publicly visible, but rather make them only visible to the person whose post it is.
There should be an option in the settings to hide your name when you like/thank a post.

As far as the dislike button goes, I'd probably integrate it with the mod tools and use it to simplify the workload. Mods should be the only ones to see this.
This is by far the less useful of the two, but can be used to identify users that get into more heated arguments or may require future intervention. It'd be like a borderline "report" button for inappropriate posts.

Examples:
Thanking NNW for her lovely advice regarding Clear Hill.
Thanking SBS for mentioning where he took the image in the Photo comp.

Disliking the overtly sexist, creepy and racist comments that I see. These don't break the rules per se, but are not hugely appropriate.

Incidentally, I feel honored being the subject of your 666th post Matt. :p

Wed 03 Dec, 2014 8:38 pm

666... _Like_

Thu 04 Dec, 2014 6:14 am

I am not a fan of like and dislike buttons that show a score against a persons name for all to see but I really like icefests concept. I agree that it can be a bit of a disappointment getting a notification just for a "thanks for that" but at the same time I think it is important to be able to show gratitude for help given.
How can a +1 be handled?

Thu 04 Dec, 2014 7:08 am

neilmny wrote:How can a +1 be handled?

_Like_?

Thu 04 Dec, 2014 7:25 am

Icefests concept is
"I would not make the amount of likes or the posters publicly visible, but rather make them only visible to the person whose post it is."

A +1 can be useful for future readers who are looking for some sort of opinion/experience score that say a piece of equipment is good quality or worth owning and carting around.

Thu 04 Dec, 2014 7:37 am

All good ideas are subject to discussion and adjustments to suit differing objectives. Keeping it simple is important I think. Further, given how long we've had FB and forums, I'd be surprised if there are no existing solutions out there.

Sun 14 Dec, 2014 2:22 pm

Give it the Nike treatment ;-)

Tue 26 May, 2015 5:47 pm

this seems like a good idea, I see many contributrions I like but have nothing much to add. Don't worry about the popularity thing..
it's ok :wink:

Sun 28 Jun, 2015 8:19 pm

bit pointless if not visible

Mon 29 Jun, 2015 4:48 am

The Land Rover Owners forum and BushcraftOz forum both have a Thanks button which to my mind works really well. There is no point regulating for the minority of people who are going to potentially abuse it in some meaningless way.

Sun 20 Aug, 2017 8:09 am

Bump

Sun 20 Aug, 2017 10:19 am

greyim wrote:Bump

Totally support this idea, just to bring attention to useful posts. Some forums have a "helpful/thanks" button which can make it less about "points".

Mon 21 Aug, 2017 11:05 am

Noted with thanks. It's on the to do list.

Sat 20 Oct, 2018 12:57 pm

Bump

Mon 22 Apr, 2019 7:02 pm

Bump... ls bump if agree...

Thu 14 Dec, 2023 7:02 pm

Bump
Post a reply