Review Section in Gear area

Discussion about this site, including these forums (eg, suggestions, comments, queries). Topics may be manually deleted occasionally (eg, after suggestions dealt with, or changes bedded in).

Review Section in Gear area

Postby Mickl » Mon 08 Jun, 2015 9:03 pm

Hi all

just been looking at user reviews on BPL and was wondering if we could set up a new area perhaps in the gear section that is only for user reviews of products. Would save searching and trawling heaps of posts and might encourage people to review gear more often. We could set it up with a pro forma if need be so certain details are covered or just leave it up to people to add what they want. Would also allow readers to post questions on that product and have them answered by someone that's using it....

Mick
Mickl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Re: Review Section in Gear area

Postby north-north-west » Tue 09 Jun, 2015 12:02 pm

Good idea.
Very good idea, in fact.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Gadgetgeek » Tue 09 Jun, 2015 1:35 pm

Really good plan. One thing that might be useful would be a "aussie dollar valuation" considering that quite a few of us shop overseas, and it would help the rookies get a better idea of the true value of an item, so they can tell if a deal really is good, or know which of two items will be the better buy since prices here can be very weird. Localized reviews are always better than ones from the US as its not only conditions that are different, but warranty and other considerations might be larger factors than they are over there.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Mickl » Tue 09 Jun, 2015 4:10 pm

Excellent. I am glad I'm not the only one that likes the idea :D

Main reason I thought It would be worth doing was that it makes it easier to find reviews as they tend to get lost in the main gear area now with so many posts. Also people put a lot of effort into reviews so would be good to be able to locate them easily and also might encourage people to update the reviews as they use the items each time.

If this goes ahead I have quite a few items from US and overseas that I would like to chuck up reviews on and even just photo's etc which may help others.
Mickl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bayside Bloke » Tue 09 Jun, 2015 4:21 pm

Great idea. Big help for guys (non gender specific) like me who are moving into longer / ON hikes.
Bayside Bloke
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby corvus » Tue 09 Jun, 2015 5:28 pm

Excellent idea :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby vicrev » Fri 12 Jun, 2015 10:14 pm

Sounds good to me...... :)
vicrev
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Mickl » Mon 15 Jun, 2015 12:51 pm

So how do we make this happen?

Was thinking would be good to start with a pro forma type set up to each post so people get the main details they need and there is some guide to how the reviews should be structured.

Brand / Model name - Could link the webpage also
Price
Size - If applicable
Weight (advertised / weight as delivered)

Shelter specifics - Packed size, materials, pole type/number, width/depth/height, options / accessories

The user could then just write up a general review of the product covering things like when/ where it was used, set ups etc, pros/cons and likes/dislikes, limitations, things to mod/improve

Then photos could be added and from then on users can ask specific questions and also reviewer could update with more info as the item is used further.

something like these reviews would be good http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews ... a%20Wyant/
Mickl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Travis22 » Mon 15 Jun, 2015 2:29 pm

north-north-west wrote:Good idea.
Very good idea, in fact.

+ 1

Travis.
Travis22

Postby wildwalks » Fri 19 Jun, 2015 12:43 pm

You guys are brilliant - love the idea.
Created - viewforum.php?f=63
Welcome feedback on rules / suggestions at the top of the subforum.

This conversation has come up a lot with the Bushwalk Australia Magazine we do.
My thinking is lets get started with it as is.
But Micki is write -- proforma is a great idea and we need to get to it in time - the sooner the better.

One of the ideas I have bounced around with gear manufactures is to set up a bushwalk.com gear review library. The idea is that we get a piece of gear donated to the library for review. People volunteer to get the gear, review it systematically and provide their review online. They also agree to post it (paying for the post) to the next person who checks it out of the 'library' (or we have a paypal system so the borrower pays $x for postage - but this can get messy). This way the item is tested by a range of people in different situations. We might be able todo something like auction the gear after 12months and keep this money in a pool to help cover postage costs.
This gets complex - we need to agree on testing criteria and proforma (that work for walkers and manufactures) -- but if people like the idea I am happy to run an online meeting (google hangout) to bounce the idea around and see if we can make this happen.

Matt :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW
Region: New South Wales

Postby Strider » Fri 19 Jun, 2015 2:05 pm

Thats review system is also a great way to have gear on hand to "hire" to members, either for a one off trip or to try out pre-purchase. Good thinking Matt! :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mickl » Fri 19 Jun, 2015 4:27 pm

First review is up! I started the ball rolling with a tent review that I added a lot to from a previous post as well as photo's etc. Hopefully its up to scratch.

Matt hopefully the format I started off with is ok, I'd be glad to get some feedback on it overall. I'd be more than happy to review gear for any manufacturers as well!

I've got heaps more gear to review as I get time. Planning a review on GSI Soloist set up and a few stoves, Goosefeet gear down balaclava, booties and over shoes as well as another few shelters. I'm sure I will think of more gear but that's it to start with....
Mickl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwalks » Fri 19 Jun, 2015 4:41 pm

Great stuff thanks Mickl
Wonderful start.
I just changed the topic on your post (hope you don't mind).
Tags in the title is a bit of a work around (would be better to have custom software for this), but makes it much easier to find info you are after.
this is at the top of the forum (very much open to negotiations)
Forum rules
Forum rules
This is a place to share fair and systematic reviews of gear. Share the good, bad and ugly as well as including how you tested it and reviewed the gear. This is not the place to carry on about a bit of gear that failed, sometimes good gear has a lemon - this is more about systematic reviews. Although this can be a way to help gear manufactures with feedback, this is not the place to hassle them or ask for money back.

Start each thread with
[tag]Brand, product, RRP in AUD. The tags have two parts the type of gear and type of testing/review. eg
[Sleeping bag | Unboxing] Kmart Summit Hooded $29
[Stove | Field test]Jetboil, flash $150

Suggested review types. Unboxing, field test, 1 year on, stress test, teardown.
If someone else has already reviewed the same product in a similar method then please use the initial thread to include your review. Please note if the gear was provide to you for free, loan, discount or if you paid full RRP.
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby Mickl » Fri 19 Jun, 2015 4:46 pm

Yeh no worries. I did see that but to be honest I didn't really understand it so I just tried to make it as clear as possible.... I'll check the changes so I can sort it next one!
Mickl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Fri 19 Jun, 2015 5:16 pm

Hey Matt the sub forum Reviews is not showing on the forum index page. You can only see it when you click into the Equipment forum.
This review forum is a great idea well done Mickl and Matt.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwalks » Fri 19 Jun, 2015 5:27 pm

Thanks Neil. Added it to the index page now. Thanks

wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby Jeffoir1 » Fri 19 Jun, 2015 9:08 pm

I support this idea. It would be of great value to those who are putting some kit together, and are looking for performance.
I don't always have to know that I am getting the best price, but I really want to know that the item performs as claimed, and will last the distance. I have never heard anyone in a blizzard say: " Gee, I wished I'd bought this <<equipment item>> on sale."
Best wishes,
Jeffoir
Walking takes longer... Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed. ~ Edward Abbey
Jeffoir1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 9:28 am

A very good idea Is reviewing secondhand gear also going to be allowed?
Will existing reviews be moved to this section? I ask as I think I'm the only one on the forum using surplus US army gear for the snow
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwalks » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 11:03 am

Never thought about second hand gear. I think it is worth reviewing anything that people can buy or make. So as long as we give enough info on how to buy it second hand I think that is a good idea.
I also suggest we can review ideas and DIY plans. So if you make a Pepsi stove for example then you can review that and link to the plans you used.
As to moving existing reviews. I guess that makes sense. Let me think about how todo that.

Great stuff.

wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby Pteropus » Sun 21 Jun, 2015 2:20 pm

Just a quick thought for the review section before it becomes over crowded with miscellaneous reviews. How about instead of naming the thread [Tent] or [Sleeping Bag] or [stove] or whatnot, how about sub-forums for each type of equipment? So a sub-forum for tents would be in: Board index < Main Track < Equipment < Gear Reviews < Tents
Perhaps catagorise like:
Tents
Packs
Sleeping
Cooking
Clothes
Footwear
Accessories
Miscellaneous
etc..

A bit like what would be found on a retailer or manufacturers website.

Anyhow, just an idea.
Cheers
Andrew
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby GBW » Sun 21 Jun, 2015 2:34 pm

Sub-forums would be a good idea and keep it organised.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayno » Sun 21 Jun, 2015 4:56 pm

GBW wrote:Sub-forums would be a good idea and keep it organised.

no point yet, no one has posted anything , it will clutter things up as people click into each sub forum and find nothing, there needs to be at least one review, preferably more for any given category before it makes any sense to establish them or its going to waste peoples time sifting through empty forums...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Return to Forum & Site