Please and Thank You

Discussion about this site, including these forums (eg, suggestions, comments, queries). Topics may be manually deleted occasionally (eg, after suggestions dealt with, or changes bedded in).

Please and Thank You

Postby MickyB » Sat 04 Jul, 2015 9:15 am

One thing that amazes me about this forum is the amount of posters who will ask questions or ask for advice without saying please or thank you. Some amazing advice is given on this site and yet it gets no acknowledgement from the person asking. A lot of the time there isn't even a 'Thanks in advance' in the OP. Surely posters can spend an extra five seconds typing PLEASE or THANK YOU. It's common courtesy. I know there are bigger things to worry about in this world but this is one thing that really bugs me about this forum. Rant over. Thanks for reading.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Please and Thank You

Postby cajun » Sat 04 Jul, 2015 9:21 am

+1.

Just back from the USA where all the "servers" were extremely polite and the vast majority of the customers anything but. Then into Canada where a car will stop 50 metres down the street to let you cross!

As my dear old mum said, manners cost nuthin :wink:
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Strider » Sat 04 Jul, 2015 11:34 am

If you are viewing this forum as a similar context as a written letter, I would agree with you. But this is the internet, and expectations of etiquette are, and rightly should be, quite different to the expectations surrounding more formal modes of communication.

I view this forum as being one continuous conversation, rather than thousands of individual exchanges. Manners are of course required where someone has gone out of their way, but I don't agree that members should be continuously praised for their participation. The appreciation by everyone here for everyone's elses contributions goes without say IMO.

Thanks for the conversation starter though ;)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MickyB » Sat 04 Jul, 2015 12:50 pm

Strider wrote:expectations of etiquette are, and rightly should be, quite different

Why??

Strider wrote: I don't agree that members should be continuously praised for their participation.

There is a big difference praising someone for their participation and thanking someone for their help.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Strider » Sat 04 Jul, 2015 12:59 pm

MickyB wrote:
Strider wrote:expectations of etiquette are, and rightly should be, quite different

Why??

Because it is a fluid environment of multiple conversations all occurring at once. Often a thread isn't started for the purposes of asking a question, but to initiate conversation surrounding a particular topic. Or perhaps we need to politely request to engage in conversation and then thank one another once that conversation has ended, too?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Kainas » Sat 04 Jul, 2015 2:21 pm

MickyB wrote:

Why??

As to some possible answer to the 'why'. We speak in different 'registers' all the time. Depending on who we are talking to and the medium that we are using to talk (written, verbal, text, forums). Some registers demand formal words and formal levels of appreciation, others do not.

'Please' is a difficult word to use on the Internet where tone cannot be heard, as it can be both polite and rude. ie. "Could someone please tell me why ...". I personally like to give a follow up thank you, but that presents problems as well. If I say thank you, will other people think that my question has been answered, if I am hoping for more answers should I hold the 'thank you' post off for a while. etc etc

If that seems overly rude, it may be worth noting that not all cultures feel the need to use words like please and thank you in the same way that we do.

(Sorry, I enjoy linguistics, and I enjoy conversations like this).
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby peregrinator » Sat 04 Jul, 2015 3:04 pm

Kainas wrote: . . . (Sorry, I enjoy linguistics, and I enjoy conversations like this).

Well, thank you. Anyone reading this who also enjoys those things probably believes the word "sorry" is not required.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Kainas » Sat 04 Jul, 2015 5:51 pm

peregrinator wrote:
Kainas wrote: . . . (Sorry, I enjoy linguistics, and I enjoy conversations like this).

Well, thank you. Anyone reading this who also enjoys those things probably believes the word "sorry" is not required.

Ha, I always like finding like minded people.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Forum & Site