Desktop version
Discussion about this site, including these forums (eg, suggestions, comments, queries). Topics may be manually deleted occasionally (eg, after suggestions dealt with, or changes bedded in).
Post a reply

Suggested correction

Fri 07 Sep, 2018 8:37 am

Can the references to "then" be replaced with "than" in the following description of the ultralight backpacking subforum:

"Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less then 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less then 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less then 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less then 1.4kg"

Re: Suggested correction

Fri 07 Sep, 2018 11:18 am

*smitten*

Fri 07 Sep, 2018 6:29 pm

north-north-west wrote:*smitten*

Glad you seem to approve. I just don't want the site to teach young bushwalkers poor spelling. It is not as if "a" weighs any more than "e".

Fri 07 Sep, 2018 8:35 pm

beardless wrote:Glad you seem to approve.

A little pedantry covers a multitude of sins (in my book).

Sat 08 Sep, 2018 7:58 am

beardless wrote:Can the references to "then" be replaced with "than" in the following description of the ultralight backpacking subforum:

"Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less then 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less then 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less then 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less then 1.4kg"

Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrgghhh my eyes, my eyes!

Sat 08 Sep, 2018 8:26 am

For the record, I mentioned this to Nik when I first joined and he did say he would do something about it "one day". Fingers crossed that day has arrived.

Sun 09 Sep, 2018 5:04 pm

Wow that speellen were reeely bad. ;)

Thanks for pointing it out.
Fixed (plus a few another spellos)

Thanks

Matt :)

Mon 10 Sep, 2018 12:51 pm

north-north-west wrote:For the record, I mentioned this to Nik when I first joined and he did say he would do something about it "one day". Fingers crossed that day has arrived.

Ahem... Not me! I'm 'weight-agnostic' and those guidelines were written after I retired. :-) (If I'd written that I would have used bullet points and there would have been a capital letter at the beginning of each line - whether that's correct or not for non-sentences. NB: I'm not trying to suggest that "my way is better", but I just know how I work.)

I'm also pedantic enough about spelling to get pain in the eyes when reading it.

(Thanks Matt for fixing it!)

beardless wrote:It is not as if "a" weighs any more than "e".

heheh... now THAT's funny. :-D

Mon 10 Sep, 2018 1:03 pm

hehe -- I suspect Nik is correct. If there is a spelling mistake there is a very good chance I was involved in making it in some way or another.
I don't remember writing it, but my memory is as good as my spelling :)

Matt :)

Mon 10 Sep, 2018 1:11 pm

I'm also exceptionally practiced at passing the buck. ;-)

Mon 10 Sep, 2018 1:17 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:
north-north-west wrote:For the record, I mentioned this to Nik when I first joined and he did say he would do something about it "one day". Fingers crossed that day has arrived.

Ahem... Not me! I'm 'weight-agnostic' and those guidelines were written after I retired. :-) (If I'd written that I would have used bullet points and there would have been a capital letter at the beginning of each line - whether that's correct or not for non-sentences. NB: I'm not trying to suggest that "my way is better", but I just know how I work.)

Yeah, you're right about that. Sorry for trampling your reputation.
But I nudged you about correcting some typos somewhere on the forum when I first joined.

Mon 10 Sep, 2018 3:02 pm

I believe you. As much as I can be picky about using correct English at times, I can also stuff it up pretty bad myself. I did once comment on these forums that I was COD about it, and some kind person informed me that I probably meant OCD. Doh!
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Wed 12 Sep, 2018 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue 11 Sep, 2018 11:52 pm

The Americans somehow say “less that” and “more that”.

I don’t even know what that means!

Wed 12 Sep, 2018 8:39 am

Not to mention nucular, aloominum etc. :lol:

Thu 27 Sep, 2018 8:44 am

beardless wrote: I just don't want the site to teach young bushwalkers poor spelling. It is not as if "a" weighs any more than "e".

I have a confession. Around the same time I posted this topic I was adding new errors to the pages of this forum which could be described as a phenomenal (with an "i") achievement (with an extra "c").

No doubt there are more.
Post a reply