Statistics by Request

Discussion about this site, including these forums (eg, suggestions, comments, queries). Topics may be manually deleted occasionally (eg, after suggestions dealt with, or changes bedded in).

Statistics by Request

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 12:40 pm

As requested in another topic, here are some forum database statistics which may (or may not) be of interest to some people. I'll post some other statistics as time goes by, and if anyone has any requests, feel free to post them here, and I'll consider them, if the SQL is not too challenging.

Firstly, the male/female split as recorded in members' forum profiles:
Male: 214
Female: 57
(the remainder, which accounts for the vast majority of members, are unspecified)

Secondly, the posting frequency of the most frequent posters (with names, etc, removed). As you can see there are currently two people who post more frequently than I do (on average over the entire time since they signed up). One is a new member, and this is quite normal for new members, who only need to post a few posts on their first couple of days to jump to the top of the list. The other has been a member for quite some time, but still has a post average higher than mine:
Post Frequency.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Statistics by Request

Postby photohiker » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 1:07 pm

If you could drag out the stats for the most average words per post, I bet I know who would get the medal :)
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 1:12 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Wed 17 Nov, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 1:43 pm

This one took me a while to figure out, but here's a table showing age distribution of members who've entered their full date of birth. Note that entering the date of birth is optional in member profiles, and even if date of birth is entered, many people choose to not include the year of birth.

So the age can only be calculated for those who do enter their full date of birth including the year. Currently this is only 100 people (less than 10% of members), but that is enough to get a fair idea of age distribution.

It appears to be a fairly even spread of the majority of people across the ages between 20 and 40, with somewhat fewer people, but still with a significant presence, from 40 to 60.

Ages.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 1:55 pm

And one more for now...

According to Google Analytics, this site has been viewed by "9,455 Absolute Unique Visitors" in the last month.

This is a statistic I watch for a number of reasons. It gives a good indication of how many 'guest' users come to this site to search or browse for information without joining up with their own account (there are currently only 1310 signed up members). It's also a figure that I pass on to advertisers, as it gives them an idea of how many actual people their advertisements will be viewed by, rather than just the number of times it will be viewed, and therefore can be a key factor in them deciding the real value of advertising here.

Note that it is in quotes, because I don't believe it's actually true. I suspect that for people that log in from two or more different computers, they would be counted as different visitors. This may be as many as about half of the members, but probably not so many of the guests.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 2:07 pm

photohiker wrote:If you could drag out the stats for the most average words per post, I bet I know who would get the medal :)

Unfortunately, the system doesn't record the number of words per post, and the strain on the system of loading every post in the database one by one, counting the words in each, and then tallying them against the users and their post counts would be too much. :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 2:13 pm

Last edited by Ent on Wed 17 Nov, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 4:25 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:
photohiker wrote:If you could drag out the stats for the most average words per post, I bet I know who would get the medal :)

Unfortunately, the system doesn't record the number of words per post, and the strain on the system of loading every post in the database one by one, counting the words in each, and then tallying them against the users and their post counts would be too much. :-)

Well, yes. I grant you that. You could approach it from the number of bytes in the post though, that would be a lot less cpu and db intensive. :)
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 4:38 pm

33 is obviously a strong age for walkers :)
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 4:52 pm

Last edited by Ent on Wed 17 Nov, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 6:04 pm

Yes what Brett said :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby photohiker » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 8:23 pm

I haven't run phpBB for a couple of years, last time I did attainments weren't stored with the text.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 06 Nov, 2009 10:29 am

photohiker wrote:I haven't run phpBB for a couple of years, last time I did attainments weren't stored with the text.

That's still correct. It would be a very poor use of the database to do store attainments (or attachments ;-) ) in the same field as the text of the post.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 03 Dec, 2009 7:20 am

Here's an unusual Google Analytics graph of the number of visits to the site over the last month. There is a good explanation for the low flat spot, of course.

Notice that the low flat spot is not completely flat.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Thu 03 Dec, 2009 7:41 am

Last edited by Ent on Wed 17 Nov, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 03 Dec, 2009 7:51 am

Well, it's a bit embarassing, but I'm able to laugh at myself (I wouldn't post this sort of thing otherwise, eh?). :-)

The dramatic downward drop coincides with the upgrade of the forums software to version 3.0.6, during which I re-wrote the 'bush' theme from scratch (based on their default theme), to recreate the green look and custom graphics while incorporating the new features. I'd neglected to re-do the Google Analytics code in the template file. Doh! The dramatic upward line several days later coincides with the first time since that I'd looked at Google analytics and got a bit of a shock, but eventually figured out the problem and fixed it.

The reason the line isn't completely flat is because the wiki still gets a very little bit of traffic, and was still using the Google Analytics code.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Forum & Site