Two New URLs, One New Logo

Discussion about this site, including these forums (eg, suggestions, comments, queries). Topics may be manually deleted occasionally (eg, after suggestions dealt with, or changes bedded in).

Two New URLs, One New Logo

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 20 Nov, 2009 11:46 am

Our two site logos as well as the two URLs used to access this site were changed ten days ago, to two new URLs and a single new site logo.

...and nobody noticed - or so it would seem.

I was thinking about sending a Bushwalk Tasmania SIGG bottle (the first hard item with the new logo) to the first person to notice the change, but it appears that either nobody has noticed, or nobody is concerned enough about it to comment, which is probably a good thing. I've not received a single comment in the 10 days since the changes were made, so hopefully this means that the changes have all been smooth and not caused any problems for anybody.

The two old URLs have been semi-retired, and now automatically re-direct to two new URLs as follows:
  • buswhalk-tasmania.com redirects to tasmania.bushwalk.com
  • bushwalkaustralia.com redirects to bushwalk.com

The two URLs still use different site names, as they've always done in the past: Ie, "Bushwalk Tasmania" and "Bushwalk Australia", respectively.

If anyone is not seeing the new site logo (ie, the one with the "bushwalk.com" URL) they might need to clear their browser's cache in order to see it.

I had initially tried to purchase the "bushwalk.com" domain name about 2 years ago, but the owner at the time said that he might consider offers over USD$20,000. So I declined to make an offer at that time. I checked it out again a few weeks ago, and I don't know if it was the same owner or not, but I put in an offer, and their first counter offer was USD$5,000. This was much more promising. We eventually settled on a price which was more than I really wanted to spend on such things, and which will take me a number of years to pay off with the current rates of advertising revenue from the site. But it's a good result overall.

The key reasons for wanting to use the new "bushwalk.com" domain name are that it's short, trivially easy to remember/type, and as generic as possible for the nature of this site. The old URL, "bushwalk-tasmania.com", was difficult to remember and frequently mistyped, and therefore people trying to find this site sometimes missed out altogether.*

Using a subdomain for one of these (ie, "tasmania.") means that the same cookie domain can be used for both sites. This reduces login/logout problems for people who use both site URLs.

*The most common mistyped variant of the old URL takes the browser to a web site which appears to be set up with the sole purpose of benefitting from such accidental visits purely by advertising revenue. That site uses the strategy that I've recently become aware of which is used by many other sites, whereby the site has some content relevant to what the user is looking for, but deliberately avoids having enough content to be truly useful for anything. The idea being that people will initially think they're at a useful site, relevant to what they're looking for, but when they're not immediately able to find the information they're looking for, they're more likely to click on links to find what they're after, including advertisements. It's a dirty trick, I reckon, but makes huge amounts of money for some people.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Two New URLs, One New Logo

Postby johnw » Fri 20 Nov, 2009 12:21 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:...and nobody noticed - or so it would seem.

I noticed and perhaps should have commented. I do appreciate the changes and expect many others would also, particularly the shortened URL for when I need to type it. Also wondered how you managed to get bushwalk.com, as I'd assumed it was already owned. If only to go back so many years and understand that these things would have a commercial value in the future. Those had the foresight must be reaping the benefits :roll:.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 20 Nov, 2009 1:21 pm

Yeah, it took some negotiating and a significant amount of dosh to buy the domain name - I had to redraw on my mortgage to do it. From what I can tell, the price we settled on was about the market standard for comparable domain names.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Robbo » Fri 20 Nov, 2009 7:17 pm

Is there any reason, Nik, that you did not go for .biz or .name? Other than they are new 'kids' on the block and not as well known?

TR
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 20 Nov, 2009 7:48 pm

Robbo wrote:Is there any reason, Nik, that you did not go for .biz or .name? Other than they are new 'kids' on the block and not as well known?

TR

Unfortunately, ".com" is still the name to have, if you want mind share, and to be easy to remember. Anything else looks like second best. ".org" is a close second, and was available, so I grabbed that one too.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby climberman » Fri 20 Nov, 2009 7:54 pm

Nice one Nik ! A well moderated site like this has good potential across Oz.
climberman
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 06 Sep, 2011 12:49 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:I had initially tried to purchase the "bushwalk.com" domain name about 2 years ago, but the owner at the time said that he might consider offers over USD$20,000. So I declined to make an offer at that time. I checked it out again a few weeks ago, and I don't know if it was the same owner or not, but I put in an offer, and their first counter offer was USD$5,000. This was much more promising. We eventually settled on a price which was more than I really wanted to spend on such things, and which will take me a number of years to pay off with the current rates of advertising revenue from the site.

2 years later...

Woohoo! I finally paid off the debt of buying the "bushwalk.com" domain name today. Phew!
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Forum & Site