How to Leave This Web Site

Discussion about this site, including these forums (eg, suggestions, comments, queries). Topics may be manually deleted occasionally (eg, after suggestions dealt with, or changes bedded in).

How to Leave This Web Site

Postby normclimb » Sun 13 Feb, 2011 8:48 am

How does one actually leave this site, that is, unsubscribe, resign or however it is called. Can't seem to find anything, anywhere that tells you have to leave.........?
normclimb

Re: Leaving This Web Site

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 13 Feb, 2011 8:42 pm

It depends on what you mean by "leave". You can simply disable all email notifications, and no longer load up this web page. However, it seems that this is not what you want and that you want you entire account deleted.

If people want their account deleted, they will need to PM a site administrator (find these using "The Team" link at the bottom of all forum pages). Once that happens, we will let you know that there is a 14 day cooling off period. This is because we consider account deletion to be a drastic measure and it cannot be undone. If after 14 days you write back a second time to confirm that you want your account deleted, then we will delete your account.

When you initially ask us to delete your account, we will also ask you why you want the account deleted. Of course there is no obligation to answer this, however we would like to know, as it may help us to avoid future problems that would cause people to want their accounts deleted.

When we delete an account, we do not delete all of that account's posts, as this would leave those topics making less sense than they used to. I'm not sure what we'd do if people insisted on all their posts being deleted, with legal backing, as we've not yet had such a request in that form when an account was being deleted. I know of some forums where they charge a hefty administration fee to delete all of a persons old posts, or to edit a person's old posts.

Off the top of my head, we've only ever had about 3 people who've had their accounts deleted. 1 was deceased (the request was made by his wife). So as you can see it's a rare event, which is why we don't treat it flippantly.

If you wish to have your account permanently deleted, just PM me. The 14 day cooling off period will start ticking so then PM me again after 14 days.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Return to Forum & Site