[Tas HBT] Poor uni students seeking free/cheap gear

Once an item is sold, found or thread is no longer needed we move it here. These maybe helpful for historic reasons.

[Tas HBT] Poor uni students seeking free/cheap gear

Postby Kambing90 » Fri 26 May, 2017 11:43 pm

My girlfriend and I are both interested in getting out to explore Tassie's nature (especially overnight hikes), but are not able to afford the gear required due to a students budget. I am interested in obtaining any second-hand gear that has some life left in it for either cheap/free. A two person tent, sleeping bags, clothing, hiking boots, cooking stove, etc are all needed. Any tips on good hikes to start on would be greatly appreciated too. Cheers :)
Kambing90
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: [Tas HBT] Poor uni students seeking free/cheap gear

Postby taipan821 » Sat 27 May, 2017 4:58 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum from a fellow hiker.

Regarding gear, you can make some equipment from really cheap supplies (softdrink can) and a bit of time. Also see if your uni has an outdoor club, JCU used to have one with equipment before it closed down.
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Mark F » Sat 27 May, 2017 5:28 pm

Check the uni clubs - there used to be a club at UTAS with some gear, but that was in the early 90's.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby rurik » Sat 27 May, 2017 6:45 pm

Also depending on your age (I am assuming early 20s as that is what most uni students are) see if you can find a good Rover (adult scouts) Crew in your area. They tend to have access to gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rurik
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Eremophila » Sat 27 May, 2017 7:37 pm

What size clothing/shoes are you looking for?
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Kambing90 » Sat 27 May, 2017 10:35 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely check out the uni clubs and rovers. I'll also check out making some gear, what do you think that can be made cheaply (stoves I am guessing)? In regards to sizes, I am a size 11-12 shoe and my girlfriend is a size 8.5-9. I'm normally a medium, but I guess for jackets I'd be after a large to fit layers. My girlfriend is usually a size 16, but again I guess she'd be after larger for top layers.
Kambing90
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ChrisJHC » Sat 27 May, 2017 10:59 pm

Don't skimp on your tent or wet-weather gear (particularly in Tasmania!). Go secondhand to keep the price down but these are essential for safety. Same applies to your packs and sleeping bags when you're ready to start your overnight hikes.

You will find that you will already have most of the other stuff you need (or can make it cheaply).

It won't be the lightest, or the latest, but you will find it will do an OK job. Once you've got the bug, expect to start spending serious money when you can afford to!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Region: Victoria

Postby davidf » Sun 28 May, 2017 3:53 pm

Keep your eyes out at op shops. OS travellers often leave stuff to these places as they wont use them further on there travels. IO have got reasonable thermals, foam sleeping mats, quality down sleeping bag $17 etc. I am in sydney, but Hobart is a bit of a travellers hub. Tas people could let you know about the second hand place in town. Also notice boards at the hostels
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby cams » Mon 29 May, 2017 9:30 am

Are you on the Tassie outdoor gear for sale facebook group? Some pretty good stuff gets posted there.
cams

Postby Kambing90 » Mon 29 May, 2017 4:27 pm

Thanks again for all the help! I will join the facebook group and keep my eye out at op-shops etc.
Kambing90
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby pazzar » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 2:26 pm

Check out the Tasmanian University Bushwalking Club. It costs $10 a year to join, and you get free gear hire, provided you are using it on club trips. Unfortunately there isn't enough gear to hire out for private trips. There are walks happening most weeks, but as it is all student lead, it can be very spontaneous as timetables and deadlines can get in the way.

Instructions on how to join are here: www.facebook.com/Tasmanian-University-B ... =bookmarks
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 2:54 pm

I've just sent you a private message listing 3 as-new items I'm selling off cheap. (Well, one of them is not 'cheap', but it is a lot cheaper than the retail price: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25731 ).

Walls of Jerusalem is a great place to start out. Short overnight walks, plus a lot of options to do extra bits. The road is currently closed due to bridge repair, but it should be open again around the end of June (although, if you're inexperienced, it may be best to avoid it or anything with any altitude until the weather warms up a bit towards summer).

Mt Field National park has a lot of good options for all levels of walkers. Again, may be best to wait until near Summer.

Freycinet has a few good walks, including overnighters. Good for any time of year, but you do need to carry more water down that way, and water is heavy.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Return to Sold Claimed Closed and Expired