[WTB]/[WTT] UL sleeping bag <800gm

Once an item is sold, found or thread is no longer needed we move it here. These maybe helpful for historic reasons.

[WTB]/[WTT] UL sleeping bag <800gm

Postby BMo » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 10:55 am

Hi, I am posting to see if anyone has an UL sleeping bag they are looking to sell?

I'm chasing something with circa. 400gm of 800+ down fill; preferably with a total weight of 800gm or less. I sleep cold so I think I will need about this much insulation to be comfortable at or near freezing.

I currently have a Sea to Summit Micro III (Long) in as new condition that I would be happy to trade. It's just a little too big for me as I am a bit of a bean-pole.

Let me know what you might have! Budget ~$300, but could stretch a little further.

Cheers, Bede
BMo
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: [WTB]/[WTT] UL sleeping bag <800gm

Postby keithy » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 4:59 pm

Hey mate

Have you check out undercling_mike's quilts? viewtopic.php?f=27&t=24995 or Simon's new quilts at http://www.tiergear.com.au/11/products/quenda-top-quilt

They are a bit above your budget, but might suit if you can sell off your S2S?

Also you should check out the Malachowski or Cumulus bags at Globewalker. I bought a Cumulus bag from them a few years back and still stoked with it, and I know a few people here have the Malachowski bags. The ones that might fit your requirements might be a bit above your budget range again, but I think John still has a discount code for bushwalk forumers.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Postby BMo » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 5:32 pm

Hi Keith,

Cheers for the link. I've tried quilts in the past, but found them too drafty to keep me warm much below 10C as I tend to be an active sleeper. The fella from Globewalker actually got in touch on another thread. His bags look great, but are definitely outside of my price range; I'm hoping to break roughly even on my S2S, so second hand it must be!

Thanks, Bede.
BMo
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby threshold » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 8:01 pm

Have you had a look at the aegismax ultralight bags?

Under 150.
threshold
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 9:25 pm

Is the S2S too warm or not warm enough?
If too warm just open it up; if not warm enough and you have room just add a UL down jumper or an UL overquilt like mine
The S2S Micro 3 is only good to 4C really and as you say you are a cold sleeper I don't think 400g of down is realistic for winter and certainly not above the snow line
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby CasualNerd » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 9:40 pm

threshold wrote:Have you had a look at the aegismax ultralight bags?

Under 150.

Have you got one ? I'd love to believe they are good quality but it seems so unlikely.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby BMo » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 9:57 pm

@threshold: I have considered the aegismax but I have ethical concerns about buying down that is of unknown origin; I appreciate the suggestion though

@moondog: I'm not looking to Winter Camp, just shoulder season hikes, which typically means 0C to 5C minimum's for me. I have found the Micro III is fine to 4C or so, but my main issue is that it is too big for me.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
BMo
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Chunder fuzz » Tue 22 Aug, 2017 8:38 am

CasualNerd wrote:Have you got one ? I'd love to believe they are good quality but it seems so unlikely.

I've got one, it's not bad, there are plenty of online reviews/reddits/youtube videos of people trying them out. Bought it before considering where the down came from...
Chunder fuzz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 22 Aug, 2017 9:48 am

Chunder fuzz wrote:
CasualNerd wrote:Have you got one ? I'd love to believe they are good quality but it seems so unlikely.

I've got one, it's not bad, there are plenty of online reviews/reddits/youtube videos of people trying them out. Bought it before considering where the down came from...

How do you find it ? Aside form the down, a lot of people don't enjoy the fabric and think it's poorly breathable / gets sweaty.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 22 Aug, 2017 10:13 am

The Micro are one of the tightest bags I ever tried, but I'm big across the shoulders and I abhore feeling constricted
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Chunder fuzz » Tue 22 Aug, 2017 12:47 pm

CasualNerd wrote:How do you find it ? Aside form the down, a lot of people don't enjoy the fabric and think it's poorly breathable / gets sweaty.

I used it at it's lower limit and wasn't sweaty, slept with my thermals on though. I've only used it twice so far on some over nighters so when I've had a few more runs with it I'll try and leave a review.
Chunder fuzz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby BMo » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 1:35 pm

@Moondog - I guess I'm a pretty skinny fella, but the long is a fair bit wider in the shoulders as well.

Still chasing a bag if anyone is selling?
BMo
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Sold Claimed Closed and Expired