Jetboil fuel in Katherine on Sunday [resolved]

Once an item is sold, found or thread is no longer needed we move it here. These maybe helpful for historic reasons.

Jetboil fuel in Katherine on Sunday [resolved]

Postby Johnnie Walker » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 7:03 pm

Long shot but maybe it works.......
We're starting the Jatbula trail on Monday morning but we flew in and arrived too late in Katherine to buy gas canisters and didn't know all outdoor shops are closed on Sunday (and the Nitmiluk store is out of business). Anyone in the area who can sell us one or two canisters for our JetBoil?
Last edited by Johnnie Walker on Sun 17 Sep, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnie Walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: South Australia

Re: Jetboil fuel in Katherine on Sunday

Postby Mark F » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 7:42 pm

May be worth checking with any hostels/cheap motels in the town. While I know nothing about Katherine and the Jatbula Trail, on the Larapinta Trail there were abandoned full and partially full gas canisters in the kitchens of a budget motel in Alice Springs and in the two food lockers along the trail.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Jetboil fuel in Katherine on Sunday

Postby lseries92 » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 9:06 pm

I was in Katherine and did the Jatbula in July although I picked up gas from Darwin before I headed down. I do not recall seeing any thing at the Gorge visitor centre when I was there but it may be worth giving them a call.

The only other (long shots) I can think of would be places like the Happy Corner Store a few blocks up Giles Street north of the highway (it's on the way to the Gorge). I did not go in but I passed it a few times and it may have something.

The other options may be to check with some of the servo's to see if they sell any - aside from the BP in town, there are a couple down the Victoria highway south of town that may sell something (potentially the Caltex). Caravan parks may also have something ...

Good luck and be careful with your food at Crystal Falls - one persistent little rat broke into my tent twice (with me in it) in an attempt to get hold of mine ...
lseries92
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Jetboil fuel in Katherine on Sunday [resolved]

Postby Johnnie Walker » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 3:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Luckily I found another camper with some gas left over.
There are websites that mention the Nitmiluk store sells gas (that was our plan B) but that store is permanently closed.
I expected the shops in Katherine to be open on Sunday like in Alice but that's not the case. We've tried other caravan parks, service stations, supermarkets, info centre etc but I think only the local outdoor store sells them but it's closed on Saturday arvo and Sunday. If you need anything, close to Darwin is a big BCF on the left side of the highway (Palmerston area).
Johnnie Walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: South Australia

Return to Sold Claimed Closed and Expired