[WTB] Hilleberg Nallo 3 or Nammatj 2,3

Once an item is sold, found or thread is no longer needed we move it here. These maybe helpful for historic reasons.

[WTB] Hilleberg Nallo 3 or Nammatj 2,3

Postby tom_b » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 7:04 am

Looking to pick up a used Nallo 3 or Nammatj 2/3. If anyone has one they'd like to pass on let me know!
Last edited by tom_b on Sat 04 Aug, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tom_b
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: [WTB] Hilleberg Nallo 3 or Nammatj 2

Postby Nuts » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 9:51 am

Iv'e got some nallo 3's (&2's) iv'e been meaning to list but haven't made the time to pitch and document them. I can probably do so this coming week if you are after a cheaper one (ours are in various states of 'used' but mostly 7/8yrs old & well used).

PS. Just to relate these to your other post. The Nallo 3 is wider for little extra weight. Consider that ist's also relatively more fabric in the same design for wind.. relatively that bit more bucky/noodley in wind. Probably a picky purchase point, just as a mention.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby tom_b » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 11:14 am

Great definitely interested! Are you saying that the Nallo 3 blows around more in high wind? I am not quite what you mean sorry.
tom_b
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nuts » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 11:57 am

Yeah. In theory. Higher and wider puts more bulk into the wind. Though, having said that, i'm not sure I saw it in practice between the 2 & 3.
Initially I tried out a nallo 4 and wind effect was a noticeable point V's the nallo 2 (that we had already been using a lot).

It will be late in the week/next weekend but i'll get some pics. If you find one before then let me know. Hillebergs are something that occasionally come up for sale 'almost new'.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tom_b » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 12:14 pm

I’d prefer a Nallo 2 but it looks like it might be too small for longer trips in the snow(at 175cm). The trouble is I can’t see one in person to decide.

Was that your experience?
tom_b
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nuts » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 1:01 pm

We hire them occasionally. If you are both of 'athletic' build (at 175cm) I'd give you a 2. If you have a goal in mind other than just snow-camping, put up with the occasional tent bound/cabin fever night. No doubt these nights/days you'll be thinking of more width/ two equal length poles (to sit facing each other)/ a stand up dome tent/ your bed at home..

Nallo 2 is a safe bet for minimum (there are lighter options but it's a lonnng piece of string)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 1:13 pm

Re Nallo 2 vs 3, I have both (GT versions) , but find the 2 is a bit too "comfy" for 2 - and the weight difference isn't much. I prefer to use my 3 for 2 of us, or my 2 by myself. As long as they're pitched *&%$#! in to the wind, they are pretty stable, but strong side on /oblique winds do blow them around a fair bit, but my only real experience with that was in 80-90kmh winds oblique on the top of Bogong - it was a noisy night!

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby tom_b » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 1:24 pm

Thanks for the reply guys!

Yes we are both are of ‘athletic’ builds (ultra runner). I am 68kg and my partner is 57kg. I have plenty of (much) lighter tarps and tents for less serious use. So I am looking for something I can take into the harshest parts of Aus and be safe in.

For me the fun of adventuring is being outside and walking/skiing so I only really hop into my tent at the end of the day to sleep. I am not looking for a tent to set up and go do trips out of. Plan is to set up and pack up the tent each day. Nuts would you lean toward the 3 or 2 then?

Thanks for your input Andrew that sounds like an epic night!
tom_b
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nuts » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 2:02 pm

I had in mind some of the Tarptent models, which I think have proven pretty capable.
Their features/weight are tempting (we use some but iv'e not had much personal time with them).

Nallo- 2 would do, send it back if it's too small..
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tom_b » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 2:11 pm

Which tarptent are you thinking of? I was looking at Scarp 2 but it did not seem to be as wind worthy (might be mistaken...)
tom_b
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nuts » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 2:20 pm

Scarp 2 yeah. I'm not a fan of the crossing pole concept, i'm not sure how well they compare without the poles (?) Franco (on here) knows all about them.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 6:43 pm

I use the crossing poles on my Scarp I when it's particularly windy. It does help to stabilise the tent.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Re: [WTB] Hilleberg Nallo 3 or Nammatj 2,3

Postby stepbystep » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 7:51 pm

Scarp 1 is excellent in 4 season conditions particularly with crossing poles. I've used mine on hundreds of nights. I suspect the 2 would catch the wind a bit and I've seen the Hogback blow down in moderately strong winds. I use a Nallo for 2 ppl for 4 seasons and it's fine but I preferred the Olympus for 2 people( a 3 pole tunnel/dome will always go best), but they get heavier the stronger you go, of course.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Sold Claimed Closed and Expired