[Geelong VIC] WTB or Trade Hickory or Walnut pieces

Buy, sell, trade, loan, borrow, hire, etc, plus lost & found. Private transactions only.
Forum rules
1 Only members can post.
2 The For sale or wanted heading format is type, location, description, e.g.:
[FS Perth] Scarpa boots size 46
[FS Hobart] TerraNova Southern Cross 1 tent
[Wanted Brisbane] Black Diamond Trailback Trek sticks

3 The Lost and found heading format is [FOUND] Larapinta camera; [Lost] Mount Bogong, pair of mitts.
4 Only one item per topic, so one topic for a tent, another for a stove.
5 Include a link to other websites like eBay or Gumtree as appropriate.
6 This area is private sales only. Commercial posts here.
7 When your topic is resolved or no longer needed, lock your topic using the popup menu and button at the bottom right of the topic page.
8 For Sale and Wanted topics expire after three months if there are no replies from the OP.
9 Lost and Found topics expire after six months if there are no replies.
10 Locked and expired topics will be moved to the "Sold, Claimed and closed" sub forum by the moderation team. Contact a moderator if you wish to have a topic restored.

New members with no posts on the forum cannot send Private Messages. (This is to prevent PM spam.) New members will have to post in the forum to send a private message.

[Geelong VIC] WTB or Trade Hickory or Walnut pieces

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 16 Jan, 2019 10:13 am

Looking for a couple of small off-cuts to make a couple of tool handles. Just in case somebody here has been doing any cabinet making.
A couple of bits 135 to 145mm long and 42 * 19mm in section. For a pair of ice picks for self rescue, the pair I just made using Alpine Ash are not going to work, the timber is far too prone to splitting under load, the trial set I just made have done just that despite being cord wrapped and painted with epoxy. I could just buy a couple of short Phillips head screwdrivers; but where's the fun in that?
These need to be able to be used wearing winter gloves and I find a rectangular section easier to grip than round and I can shape a rectangle to fit my paws quite well.
I have thought about buying some good quality chisel handles but all I have seen so far are plastic or local hardwoods and not suitable
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: [Geelong VIC] WTB or Trade Hickory or Walnut pieces

Postby andrewa » Wed 16 Jan, 2019 8:20 pm

Another of my interests is woodwork...

I’ll have a look in my shed.

You can buy walnut from various furniture timber traders in Melbourne - Australian furniture timbers, and Whelan the Wharehouse in Port Melbourne, but I imagine that the minimum length would be 1.8m, and maybe 120x19.

Hickory - no idea.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Re: [Geelong VIC] WTB or Trade Hickory or Walnut pieces

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 23 Jan, 2019 2:31 pm

I just received an email from Kruger who import hickory to make tool handles
$22- for a 50 * 50 * 850mm billet plus postage. Anybody want to share?
A shame they only make their file handles in softwood as a file handle is about right with a little sandpaper and plane work
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Market Square & Lost Property