Quagmire Gaiters

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Quagmire Gaiters

Postby tasadam » Mon 27 Apr, 2009 1:39 pm

geoskid wrote:Hey Tasadam,
You are quite the quiet acheiver, thats a fair list since Nov' 08 - good on you! I noticed you normally walk with your wife,-again fantastic! Your Gaiters might last longer if you take them off before going to bed - just a thought! :wink: :D

My wife got a laugh out of this when I showed her.
But I don't wear my gaters out in bed because I don't wear them to bed, but I do wear them out not in bed and they do wear out. :?
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby tasadam » Thu 14 May, 2009 7:43 pm

taswaterfalls.com wrote:I chased the Sea to Summit rep today and he has requested photographic evidence so they can work towards rectifying the few stitching issues that seem to be appearing in the Quagmires. If you have a pair of quagmires with issues can you post pics in this thread of the areas of wear. Also if you have a pair that have failed you scrub them up and PM me and we should be able to organise repair or replacement.

Something that hasn't been pointed out yet is that I think thanks are in order - firstly for Joe for taking this up with the Sea to Summit rep, and secondly to the Sea to Summit rep for his willingness to take up the cause - to have a look at these and see what is going wrong and what can be done for us that have failed gaiters, as well as what can be done for the design and manufacture of the product in the future.
Hopefully a better stronger product will result.
Quagmire have traditionally been a great gaiter, so I am hopeful things will be resolved.

I remember my first gaiters 20 years ago, and the velcro strip up the front or side or wherever was only about a cm wide, so when I got my first Quags with like a solid inch there, I was impressed.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby corvus » Thu 14 May, 2009 8:08 pm

Yes thanks to both is in order but tasadam 1 cm velcro on Gaiters ?? what a luxuary my you bewt ones in the early seventies had nice big zips and there is a pic on the forum somewhere of them .
They were very good and reliable and I think I still have a pair in my shed which I will photograph and post (if I can find them) :)
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby north-north-west » Sat 16 May, 2009 8:10 pm

I know it's not what you're after, but - why do they build the gaiters the way they do? The open end of the underboot strap is on the inside of the ankle - I have to wear them that way around otherwise the gaiters don't sit right. This means that I have the extra strap lengths on the inside, bumping and catching on each other. Daft. And no, I'm not going to cut them down in case I need the extra length to readjust after a failure. And I really don't care for the front opening.
I still have fond memories of my first pair of gaiters - el cheapo polyawfulised nylon with a rear zip. Basic, but they worked beautifully. Just had to rinse off the zip every night before retiring otherwise the mud would freeze on them overnight and you couldn't get them on the next day.

I would post photos of my first pair of Quagmires, on which the scuff-guard stitching came undone with no more than 15 days walking in not particularly difficult country, but I kind of took them off after coming down Howitt Spur and left them on the log when I went on after a rest . . . (no, you young whippersnapper, it's not Alzheimer's, I was just thinking of something else very . . . absorbing . . . that afternoon. Sort of thing anyone could do.)
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby corvus » Wed 09 Jan, 2013 6:24 pm

corvus wrote:Yes thanks to both is in order but tasadam 1 cm velcro on Gaiters ?? what a luxuary my you bewt ones in the early seventies had nice big zips and there is a pic on the forum somewhere of them .
They were very good and reliable and I think I still have a pair in my shed which I will photograph and post (if I can find them) :)
c

tas-man wrote:Back in the days before PET bottles, bladders etc my mates carried a bottle of McWilliams red along the OT for Christmas dinner on Mt Ossa 1971. Didn't bring glasses, so had to use their mugs to enjoy! Went well with the 4oz Christmas puddings and custard that followed the VitaWheats and Kraft cheese main course.

OssaChristmas1971c.JPG

Found the photo of my first pair of Gaiters :) still have them :roll:
corvus

Pity I dont know how to get the photo loaded :oops:I guess you will need to read the full postings to see tas man's excellent pics.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Previous

Return to Equipment