military boots for Kokoda?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

military boots for Kokoda?

Postby Tarvis » Mon 17 Nov, 2014 8:06 pm

Hi all,

New here so apologies if I've missed any conventions RE posting etc. I did search for this topic before I posted so hopefully didn't miss anything that may answer my question. If I did, my apologies in advance...

I'm looking at hiking the Kokoda Track next year and am getting an early start re gear, specifically footwear as I'd like to do some training in it. I noticed that most folks opt for hiking style boots but wondered if anyone would contemplate using a military style boot (i.e. something like ALTAMA 4158 3LC boots). These obviously run higher than most hiking boots but no doubt have other advantages and disadvantages.

Anyway, was just keen on getting some perspectives from others, potentially those that have done the trek and may be able to advise.

Cheers,

Tarvis
Tarvis
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: military boots for Kokoda?

Postby ozidave » Tue 18 Nov, 2014 8:16 am

Tarvis,
I did Kokoda last August and wore Scarpa Nangpa goretex boots. They worked well to keep my feet dry and didn't get too hot (I'm from Tassie so a big concern). I did slip over every day, more so on the rainy days although I did have a pack i.e. no porter.
My son wore a pair of Altamas and he was thinking if his feet got wet they'd dry soon enough. Seemed to work but he fell over a lot too. And he wears them for work so he's used to them.
One guy wore Salomon XA pro 3D trail runners in non-goretex and if I was doing it again that's what I'd wear. Light, not too hot, dried fast and good grip.
Make sure you take some light shoes for creek crossings to try to keep your main boots dry as possible. And I found low gaiters to keep the mud out of the boots vey handy.
Enjoy the trek.
ozidave
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 18 Nov, 2014 10:58 am

ozidave wrote:One guy wore Salomon XA pro 3D trail runners in non-goretex and if I was doing it again that's what I'd wear...

With that, it just about killed all the discussions on boot selection and demands for the Kokoda Trail. Sounds like just about anything will do. :mrgreen:
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tarvis » Tue 18 Nov, 2014 12:25 pm

Thanks Ozidave,

I'm thinking of something like this:
http://www.altama.com/products/4168-3lc ... -spec-boot
(hope its ok to post a link - if not they are Altama 4168 jungle boots).

I'm considering these over a hiking boot because I'll get more long term use out of them, but want to ensure that they will be suitable for Kokoda in the first place.

You mentioned your Son wore Altamas - was it something like this or one of their more traditional hiking boots?

Thanks,

Tarvis
Tarvis
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ozidave » Tue 18 Nov, 2014 12:51 pm

Tarvis,

My son wore Altama 3LC which are ADF approved, he's infantry so just wore his work boots. His are brown tho, a little cooler than the black ones you linked to. I'm not convinced that you need boots that high for Kokoda. I wear ADF approved boots as well but personally can't stand Altamas, they just don't fit my feet.

Whatever you decide make sure that they're the ones you train in, that'll soon sort out any issues.
ozidave
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby nq111 » Tue 18 Nov, 2014 8:15 pm

There are pretty much no civillian boots made for hot and wet conditions so military boots (with drainholes etc) are a reasonable way to go. Some of the lighter trainer types of military boots are worth a look as many can be really heavy.

Another possibility is canyoneering boots.

Trail shoes are a good way to go. Sick of trying to find boots for my purpose (they pretty much don't exist) I transitioned to Innov8 trail runners but use ankle braces for support as I have crap ankles that I don't trust with a heavy pack on slippery ground. Still very light, airy and freedraining and the grip is great. Not so durable compared to boots but the won't fall apart on a trip or five either. If I were to do Kokoda (i haven't been to Kokoda but walk tropical conditions routinely) - I would take my Innov8's.

Avoid waterproof and goretex lined boots and shoes like the plague! You want freedraining and airy.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Tarvis » Mon 24 Nov, 2014 7:18 am

Thanks for the replies all, time to find some good retailers and get something that fits well.

Cheers,

Tarvis
Tarvis
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Equipment