New pack

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

New pack

Postby proskub » Tue 27 Jan, 2015 6:08 pm

Hey guys!

Ao I'm after new pack and was after some group wisdom! I'm a tour guide, so I need to be able to carry heavy/bulky (especially bulky) loads more so then what I do on my own missions!

I've got three options at the moment:
The trusty Macpac Cascade (same as my old one which just died) http://www.macpac.com.au/packs/packs-trek/11660.html
Osprey Xenith (http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/m ... ifications). One of my mates just got one but it dosen't seem as easy to pack and I'm not sure about the durability of a plastic German pacl
WE Lost World (http://wildernessequipment.com.au/detai ... st%20World). Pretty classic guide pack, haven't seen the new model out and about yet.

Any thoughts on these or other options!?
proskub
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: New pack

Postby Mickl » Tue 27 Jan, 2015 6:56 pm

Hi

I can't comment on those packs listed but I do have an Osprey Aether and have been happy with it as far as load carrying and durability. I'd imagine that the Zenith would be similar...

Mick
Mickl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Strider » Tue 27 Jan, 2015 7:33 pm

One Planet and Aarn should be at the top of every list. Osprey directly below those.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby proskub » Tue 27 Jan, 2015 8:13 pm

One planet only make a 90L, which is the minimum I need, in a large harness, which is touch and go for me. Aarn would be hard to fit everything in several pockets, have to carry a few really bulky (but not that heavy ) things like pots and a giant tarp
proskub
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Joomy » Tue 27 Jan, 2015 9:53 pm

I hear very good things about the Paradox suspension system. The Unaweep is available in up to 100L and weighs about 1.5 kg in bombproof VX-42 fabric. You can also add a 16L front pocket which adds about 100 grams. Apparently it will handle up to 45kg (100lbs). Read a review of it by BPL contributor Dave Chenault here: http://bedrockandparadox.com/2014/05/05 ... x-unaweep/. If I were hauling 20-30kg loads I would seriously consider one.

Another short spiel by Dave here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... picks.html "The Paradox suspension is by far the best I've used; it's elegantly minimalist and carries 20 pound overnight loads and 80 pounds of deer meat equally well."

I've done a bit more research for my own edification. The frame height is adjustable and you can choose one of three hipbelt sizes. The 100L Unaweep in VX-42 (bomber) fabric and the "Talon" front pocket would weight under 1700g if their specs are to be believed.
Last edited by Joomy on Wed 28 Jan, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Joomy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Gusto » Wed 28 Jan, 2015 6:42 pm

As a general piece of advice. Your comfort is far more important than the size of the pack. You'll be carrying alot of weight. Have you been a guide before? You'll see that One Planet packs are the most common brand used by Outdoor instructors.

I personally have a Lost World, but I bought it in 2005. I purchased it for the same reasons you suggested. I was a guide, I wanted something large, durable and comfortable. In terms of comfort it was a very close competition between the W.E. and One Planet. So I ultimately bought the Lost World as I felt shape of the sack was superior.

You really must try and carry the largest One Planet, W.E, Mont, Macpac and Aarn.

In terms of buying an Aarn pack. If you don't want to use the front pockets then you don't need to. But you will be limited to 77L http://www.aarnpacks.com/#!load-limo/ci5c with practice you'll get used to packing into the front pockets.

But More importantly though, if you happen to like another brand such as One Planet then you should consider adding Aarn front packs to it. You'll gain more space and better balance. It's much easier to do than people think.

In addition to this, another common way to add more space to your pack is to attach on to the compression straps.

I've written a few times on this forum about large packs for guides.

There are other packs you could consider, but I feel trying them on is absolutely crucial, and so you are likely to be limited to the brands you can find in shops.

But since you asked.. here are some other options

http://www.cactusoutdoor.co.nz/packs-bags/tramp-walk/foray.html
http://www.summitgear.com.au/summit-gear-sabre-rucksack/

None of those packs are really large enough, but you could add front and side pockets. There just aren't many brands of packs that make them as large as you want.
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby proskub » Wed 28 Jan, 2015 7:28 pm

Hey Gusto!

Yeah, I've been guiding for a few years now. With my company we're well supported with food drops etc, so it really isn't the weight, just a few massive things like a giant pot and a tarp big enough for the whole group to squeeze under. Only replacing my cascade because it's finally given up the ghost. Might need to frame it! I do like One Planet packs, my issue with them (and now the new Cascade, upon close inspection) is that they look a bit hourglassed in shape. Aarn pockets is an awesome idea, and those other packs look good too, just like you say kind of something you want to try on! Not that it's number one issue (tax deductible!) but the WE one is also way cheaper on pro deal!

Thanks for your advice!
proskub
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ninjapuppet » Wed 28 Jan, 2015 11:34 pm

I dont have this, but i have the smaller version with outdry.
love it to bits because its waterproof and so i save on having to carry a pack liner.

If you dont scrub bash, this 115L is only 2.25kg
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/bmg-105-outdry-backpack-OU5956.html
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby wayno » Thu 29 Jan, 2015 5:07 am

I'd rate the osprey pretty highly against the macpac.. lighter when it's wet, pretty robust material.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 29 Jan, 2015 10:25 am

Did you see this post??

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18777
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sunnyape » Fri 06 Feb, 2015 3:23 pm

It seems you have your heart set on a large canvas bag, so I assume you're looking for something very tough and long-lived. If that is the case, then I had a MacPac years ago and got almost 15 years of use out of it before retiring it! MacPac still make great gear.

I replaced it with a OnePlanet Strezlecki 90L which I can't recomend highly enough. Fanstastic harness comfort, great weight distribution and lots of external attachment points and water storage. Lived out of it for a year whilst hiking around Europe a few years ago and often take it on fortnight long walks though all sorts of crap and bush. It takes a beating!

Yes, OnePlanet packs are a bit expensive (because they still made here in Aus) but if it's great quality and local service you want, then put them on your list.
sunnyape
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby proskub » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 8:15 pm

I ended upsettling on the Osprey. Turns out, they're aren't any in Australia for the moment though :(
proskub
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Strider » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 8:29 pm

A mate of mine just bought a Xenith. I'll ask him where he got it.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby proskub » Fri 13 Feb, 2015 8:56 am

Thanks mate, I get get the 88 easily, but the 109 is the challenge :p
proskub
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby horsecat » Fri 13 Feb, 2015 9:02 am

proskub wrote:I ended upsettling on the Osprey. Turns out, they're aren't any in Australia for the moment though :(

That's bad timing, I picked one up only a few weeks back (the 109L). Got it from Paddy's in Launceston but they had to order it in. Might be worth checking to see if they got any for stock though, but I doubt it.

I'll sell you mine for $2000 if your desperate :wink:
horsecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby proskub » Fri 13 Feb, 2015 7:19 pm

horsecat wrote:
proskub wrote:I ended upsettling on the Osprey. Turns out, they're aren't any in Australia for the moment though :(

That's bad timing, I picked one up only a few weeks back (the 109L). Got it from Paddy's in Launceston but they had to order it in. Might be worth checking to see if they got any for stock though, but I doubt it.

I'll sell you mine for $2000 if your desperate :wink:

Ha, that's where I went but the supplier is out! I've only got one more big pack trip this season before I jet to Alice so I guess I'll just beg/borrow/steal one!
proskub
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment