where do you repair your gear??

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

where do you repair your gear??

Postby samh » Tue 18 Aug, 2009 8:47 pm

Hi all,
My last walk to Ben Lomond, damaged my tent and I would need some parts. I especially would need a new set of poles, or better a few pole-segments. Does anyone know a shop where I can order such stuff or will I have to send it in to be repaired. I got a quote at remote Equipment repairs in Melbourne, but a new set oof poles cost me as much as half a tent.
Any ideas??

Sam
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: where do you repair your gear??

Postby luke_vic » Tue 18 Aug, 2009 10:13 pm

Hi Sam. Out of curiosity - what happened to your tent?
luke_vic
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby corvus » Tue 18 Aug, 2009 10:22 pm

samh wrote:Hi all,
My last walk to Ben Lomond, damaged my tent and I would need some parts. I especially would need a new set of poles, or better a few pole-segments. Does anyone know a shop where I can order such stuff or will I have to send it in to be repaired. I got a quote at remote Equipment repairs in Melbourne, but a new set oof poles cost me as much as half a tent.
Any ideas??

Sam

Would assist if we knew what breed of tent you are talking about :? :)
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby samh » Tue 18 Aug, 2009 10:55 pm

Well went to Ben Lomond 2 weeks back. we had only Friday afternoon to Sunday lunch. the idea was to go to Lake Youl and back I did not know that it would be that hard to find a campsite along the way, So at a similar palce to Shelf camp at Mt.Anne, just a little less protected. Overnight I got up 2 times to redo the lines which we had secured with rocks. However somehow two lines ripped, I guess because they were rubbing on the rocks. So my poles are bent ...
The tent is a Sirius Extreme, so not very common around here I got already a replacement-fly from the distributor here in Australia. But with this problem he could only refer me to that repair shop in Melbourne and they do not sell parts.
Here some photos of the damage and the camp site
Well I should have asked here in the forum about Ben Lomond before I went :lol:

Sorry I did not upload this photos in the forum here, because I posted already on another forum and was to lazy to upload again :)
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 9:37 am

I bought replacement tent poles (generic brand) from Allgoods in Launceston many years ago. Several years hence, that very old tent developed rips (in a storm on Shelf Camp, Mt Anne), and was eventually replaced with a new tent a few years later.

However, I kept the poles which were still in good nick. If they happen fit your poles you're welcome to a few pole segments. Just let me know if you'd like to try them out for fit.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby loric » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 10:23 am

Are you saying that the distributor can't get hold of a set of replacement poles??
I would think that's very odd.
loric
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby luke_vic » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 12:14 pm

samh wrote:However somehow two lines ripped, I guess because they were rubbing on the rocks. So my poles are bent ...

Wow, it must have been windy
luke_vic
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nuts » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 6:16 pm

Hi SH, The local outdoor store here (that is no more) used to source poles and parts so i know of nowhere locally. A google search for spare tent poles brings up a few (probably help to know the pole type/number (Easton poles?) (printed on them?)), pricing may be cheaper from O/S. I'm suprised (perhaps) that the supplier wont source them. You could try the manufacturer direct (though IME they will send your email back to OZ) Perhaps one of the online Exped sellers?

That fabric/strap repair looks nasty, an upholsterer should be able to fix it though... Would be nice (if you ever want to sell it on) to source the material for that for them (use the stuff sac for repairs, buy another exped stuff sac?) You may need to read a bit about how that material is sewn so you can tell them how you want it done (thread type and thread count). I have a heap of sinylon(?) and poly thread, could send you some (It Is blue though...)

Good luck (I'm 'negotiating with that company (and distributor) on another matter, and will be interested in the outcome if you try further to have them help (Which i expect they should).)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Humpo » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi Sam if your lucky there might be the same length as some of the Hilleberg range.

http://estore.websitepros.com/1764795/- ... gories.bok
Humpo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby adventurescape » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 9:31 pm

Hey SAmh,

Do you know that the two little poles that hold the foot end up in you tent are spare pole sections?? If you need to use your tent before sourcing replacements exchange the ones in the foot end with the bent ones. A mate worked in a shop called K2 in Brisbane and they stocked a good range of exped tents, maybe try them?

Hope it helps,
Sam (also)
adventurescape
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby samh » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 9:57 pm

@ adventurescape, thanks for the shop I will give them a ring, I just talked to the Company HQ in Switzerland they said any good outdoorshop should be able to order some replacement segments, si I'll try MD tomorrow as well. I even figured that when I order in Finnland at an online shop it will be cheaper than making an order in Melbourne :roll: trouble is I would like to have some poles soon Maybe I try to use the old ones until I get some replacement even though I don't really like the idea. The foot end holding the poles are just a repairing tube in case the poles break as their diameter is bigger than the poles.
@ nuts, Well I hope your negotiation will be sucessful. I had no problems with them so far, as I had already an outer fly replaced, because of material fault, I guess my next tent will be a different brand, not because they are bad, but I would prefer a ligther one. :mrgreen: But no discussions about lightweight gear now :lol:

samh
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby akl168 » Tue 13 Jan, 2015 5:55 am

Apologies for bumping up an old thread. I'll give Remote Repairs a call later today. Other than them, are there any good repair outfits in the Melbourne area? Preferably in the city, or in the eastern suburbs? One of my tents has a staking-loop that has torn half off the tent body. Thanks!
akl168
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Scottyk » Tue 13 Jan, 2015 6:55 am

I have used Remote Repairs and they were excellent.
Scottyk
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby Franco » Tue 13 Jan, 2015 7:50 am

I used Remote Repairs a few times ,when they were in Lt Bourke St. (good service)
If it is only the loop that has come undone a shoe repair place will be able to do it for you.
For fabric go to Remote Repairs.
BTW, since this thread was about poles, IF you have a tent that does not have hubs , you can order Easton pole sections,ends and cord and then make your own.
I shot a short video showing how to do that :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1zomKL ... ex5BMVK4vw
(sorry , I don't know of a local source but I suggested a couple of US firms)
Remote Repairs do supply fully assembled poles.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gusto » Tue 13 Jan, 2015 8:09 am

akl168 wrote:Apologies for bumping up an old thread. I'll give Remote Repairs a call later today. Other than them, are there any good repair outfits in the Melbourne area? Preferably in the city, or in the eastern suburbs? One of my tents has a staking-loop that has torn half off the tent body. Thanks!

Can you provide more detail as to what you are wanting to repair, why type of tent and fabric?. I used to manage a fleet of equipment for a commercial provider. Most things can be fairly simply repaired to an adequate standard by yourself.

In General, Remote Repairs are considered the the best in the country. But they are expensive.

If you are in the Eastern Suburbs then I would recommend you visit go to Moorabbin to Vast Outdoors aswell as the shop nextdoor called Outsports. They are both independent retailers that each have access to a wide range of products. Outsports in particular has a large range of equipment that they hire out. They will be able to recommend somewhere.

As some very general advice, if it's a PU coated fly then I would often use Sail Repair tape to patch it. It the tear is a position under stress then I would use more tape in addition to using a sewing machine to sew the tape on the tent. Siliconised Fly's are a little different.
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Tue 13 Jan, 2015 9:00 am

For tent poles try Quest Outfitters. http://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm#TENT POLES They sell a wide range of Easton poles including CF with all the bits to let you reconstruct your poles.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby sambar358 » Tue 13 Jan, 2015 9:34 am

I've bought replacement Easton tent poles for ANSCO in Melbourne a few times. They seem to have a good range of Easton poles, shock cord and other accessories & I've found them very good to deal with and their postage has been nice and quick. Check them out here : http://www.ansco.com.au/Tent-Poles-Acce ... s/1925.htm

I've used Remote Equipment Repairs a few times too for tent mods. & fabric repairs and they've been excellent and the workmanship on all my jobs has been 1st-class. Now situated out at Pt Cook west of Melbourne and not in the CBD any more. Cheers

s358
Last edited by sambar358 on Tue 13 Jan, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sambar358
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stansi » Tue 13 Jan, 2015 10:13 am

This link may be of interest to some members, re repairs.

http://www.finnindustries.com.au/
stansi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment