Socks

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Socks

Postby roopass » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 9:43 pm

Ok, Socks!, what's with socks, is it worth doing some research and getting a pair of expensive quality socks? Or some mediocre pair of socks will do?
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Socks

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 10:22 pm

Do not take shortcuts on your socks!

There are different opinions as to thickness, one pair or two etc so be prepared for a lot of differing views.

My personal favourites are a single pair of Injinji toe socks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Flipper Hands » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 10:31 pm

Socks for what?
I find bulky thick wool socks suit almost all situations and can be worn for days, and are very comfortable. My feet do not sweat much though.
I have tried Icebreaker, and the cheap eBay ones are just as effective, though a little hotter they are more durable.

These look exactly like what I bought a couple years back. Just bought a couple more pair.

I have couple pairs of Ininji toe socks, and they are great too, especially if you think you might get into a situation where your toes cop a pounding (wet for extended periods).

For really cold/wet situations I added a pair of Sealskinz to my kit at the recommendation of others (think snow/canyoning) on here. I cannot recommend them yet. I have heard of problems with bunching under the arch, as they are very thick.
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ofuros » Tue 21 Nov, 2017 5:45 am

Research shortcut...:wink:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24864
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby slparker » Tue 21 Nov, 2017 9:47 am

Can the website be configured to automatically link all sock threads to the darn tough or injinji website, because that's where the conversation invariably ends up...
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orion » Tue 21 Nov, 2017 11:51 am

I think the site should go in the other direction and have a dedicated socks forum.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 22 Nov, 2017 12:03 pm

I note that Massdrop have Darn Tough socks available at the moment if you’re happy to wait a few weeks for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Postby slparker » Wed 22 Nov, 2017 2:34 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:I note that Massdrop have Darn Tough socks available at the moment if you’re happy to wait a few weeks for them.

That's where I get mine...
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Thu 18 Jul, 2019 4:34 pm

Drop (Massdrop) don't seem to want to ship Darn Tough socks to Australia anymore. Anyone know where the cheapest place to buy them is now?
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 18 Jul, 2019 5:38 pm

crollsurf wrote:Drop (Massdrop) don't seem to want to ship Darn Tough socks to Australia anymore. Anyone know where the cheapest place to buy them is now?

I got mine through Socks Addict. Don't know what other options there are.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby warnesy » Thu 18 Jul, 2019 6:14 pm

The humanity, I was just thinking it was time for some more darn toughs from mass drop...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Rileyr » Sat 20 Jul, 2019 11:26 am

I always wear 2 pairs. 1 liner pair and 1 normal pair. Both good quality. My toes can overlap and cause blisters so i use injinji liners. Then i use a synth or merino outer sock. Both pairs about $30. 2 pairs of socks prevent blisters.

I used to use good quality woolen socks. But i am preferring synth socks at the moment because they dry quicker and they dont stretch after a couple of days.

Ive hardly used the merinos but seem good. Dont dry quickly though. Testing them properly on the Bib in a month or so

I take a spare of liners and outers in my pack. Change each day. I put the days socks in bottom of quilt to dry overnight too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Fri 11 Oct, 2019 8:53 am

Just found Wiggle.com.au sell Darn Tough Vermont socks. Don't know wiggle but if there are issues I'll post otherwise, problem solved.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby michael_p » Fri 11 Oct, 2019 9:31 am

Wiggle have been around for years. They are a UK company and were selling so much stuff into aus that they setup a dedicated .com.au website. From their website:"Orders are shipped from the UK".
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Fri 11 Oct, 2019 11:39 am

I buy stuff from Wiggle a couple of times a year. They are a good source for Salomon shoes and Petzl headlamps. My last purchase was Salomon Techamphibian 4s for $97 (a tube of electroylyte tabs bumped it to just over the $100 mark for free postage) vs $140+ from other retailers. You do have to watch the prices as they wobble around, sometimes cheap other times not. For cyclists they also own Chain Reaction.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Drew » Mon 14 Oct, 2019 4:55 pm

Good to know Wiggle sell Darn Tough. Last I looked Socks Addict were no longer shipping them to Australia. I just got a wide pair of Salomon XA Pros at a great price - couldn't find anyone in Australia stocking the wide version.
Drew

Return to Equipment