Car camping bedding?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Car camping bedding?

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 26 May, 2018 3:49 pm

Getting older here and we both need strong sturdy and reasonably rigid cots
That isn't a problem really but there is a missing cuddle factor when using single cots
I'm after advice and opinions on coupling two of the Darche/Oztent long wide single cots with mats and then topping with a large mattress.
Is there a mattress out there that is both wide enough and comfortable enough that is also reasonably compact when not being used.
Unlike my usual purchases for bushwalking I won't be scrimping on cost for this major shared use purchase.
Cecile and I have just been window shopping for camper trailers and TBH I still prefer the idea of an OzTent with a decent sized bed in it
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Car camping bedding?

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 26 May, 2018 5:32 pm

Thermarest Mondo King or Nemo Nomad 30 XL ?
https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/therma ... S228-09211
https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/nemo-n ... 1404101111
Thinking of the OzTent RV5 still for the bedroom, with the semi-disposable nylon fly for UV protection/summer shade
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 26 May, 2018 5:36 pm

Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jdeks » Sat 26 May, 2018 7:13 pm

I've previously used one of the OzTrail Self Inflating Leisure Mats for about 6 months or so as my nightly main bed, in their Double size.

I'm a notoriously light sleeper and have found it decent enough. In theory, it's easy to roll up 'compact' with the one way air valves, and 'leak proof' with the internal foam.

In reality, it's not without issues though:

Its a non-laminated cover so if you do up the air valves and both hop on, tend to 'puff' up around you. Solution - leave the valves open. Worth noting it's not a firm mattress (which I normally prefer) and this only makes it softer, but will keep you off the ground easily and is still probably comfortable enough ( would recommend in-store test first tho).

It rolls up massive. Think almost swag-size (40cm+ diam) if you just try to roll-and-go. The newer model one-way valves allow you to make several attempts with rolling more air out, but this takes time and ALSO tend to shift the non-laminated poly skin out of alignment with the foam inner, which then move the air valves away from the channels in the foam and slows re-inflation.

Solution - deflate with a pump or in my case, a small hand vacuum. Doesn't need any special valves or adapters, just a tube mouth roughly the same valve diameter. Hold it in place and suck the air out until flat, then roll. Works like a charm and get the roll down to about 20cm diameter.

Not perfect but good enough that I'v just bought this - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261372497861 - for personal use. Plan is to slide em together for a big bed at night, split em for easy packing in the morning.

They also have larger "King" singles too
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby drakkar » Sun 27 May, 2018 7:52 am

We use an oztent RV4 for family adventures.

It's ONLY drawback and it's a big one - Is it's packed size and weight, it has to live on the roof of the car and my wife with a questionable back can't help. So any time saved in the set up, is negated by the time/effort for me to lift it onto the roof of our 4x4 and strap it on. But it did just survive 70k winds and torrential rain on Kangaroo island. And we easily have over 100 nights in it plus 10,000odd kays living on the roof of the car through mud/rain/desert and no other problems. One foot is starting to show signs of wear, but a little gorilla tape will sort that. With 4 of us inside, a fly is 100% needed to prevent condensation in all conditions. If I were to buy again I'd lean towards a traditional single pole touring style. A double swag on a stretcher + awning on car. (+ gazebo for extended stays where living space is needed) is worth considering as well. The one benefit of a trailer is pack up/set up time, including time needed for prep/unpack at home... If your not driving serious corrugations, I think a van is a better option again.

We use 2x exped mega mat's. Very happy with them, again pack size is the issue. cant comment on stretchers sorry.
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 27 May, 2018 9:10 am

We can't modify our van to sleep in so that option won't work. I can put up with lifting the bundle onto the roof bars in the short term but a very small trailer with racks is my long term plan for carrying the tent.
We did just place an order with Snowys for the small package, RV-5; 2 of the large cots and 2 of the S2S mats. Should arrive by Wednesday so we have a long week-end planned at Mt Franklin to give stuff a trial run.
I did consider the fly, even before you commented Drakkar I had assumed it would be needed so I added it to the order
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby drakkar » Sun 27 May, 2018 9:23 am

We also got ours from snowy's. After a recent trip to the flinders I made a point to stop in on the way back. I wish there was a store like that here in Vic. Very much the recipe the Ray's rebranding seem's to be trying to hit (but snowys actually has helpful staff and carry's the full spectrum of brands)

I recently found a mesh basket from Rhino that the tent fits in perfectly, small ladder rollers on the back and it's doable. Couple of small ratchet straps and it sits super firm.

I've also been looking at small camp trailer's. Converting an old 6x4. Having a fold out kitchen/awning on one side, a cheap roof top tent on top with some gas struts. and the oztent for the kids.
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 27 May, 2018 9:54 am

I have an old 6 * 4 which I am selling off soon because I want to go down to something about 3*5, mainly to stop me taking too much stuff along. I agree on a small fold out kitchen, I just bought a new Gasmate portable stove, almost same price as as I paid for the last one 30 odd years ago but much more efficient burners Cecile wants to get a small Weber Q to use as an oven/BBQ grill; with good LED lighting running off a decent DeepCycle battery, perhaps another fridge to complement the cheap one and naturally a solar panel to keep the battery topped up
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby threshold » Mon 28 May, 2018 9:08 am

Hi moondog.

I have an exped megamat duo which is super comfy. And firm too!

I also have an oztent rv3 which I recently purchased and so far I think is awesome for car camping adventures.

Snowys has the best prices on both.
threshold
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby ricrunner » Mon 28 May, 2018 10:23 pm

2years ago we bought a double fold up cot from BCF, It was an double camping bed by Oztrail and it cost $270. It is heavy to carry but doable as well as very comfortable. We also bought a double self inflating mattress on special for 110 dollars, It folds to a single side and rolls up but not compact It is made by Outer LimIts
ricrunner
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Neo » Tue 29 May, 2018 6:41 pm

New from Helinox, it's now long enough for me.

Very tempting for when/if my Synmat blows out. May negotiate this to myself! as a super-luxury option weight wise (cot & STS tarp & pegs = luxury bed and shelter at 3.3kg)

You never know...
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 29 May, 2018 8:01 pm

I was in a Rays store today and I saw these but at only 50mm thick they would not work on their own but they are good and wide enough.
https://www.rays.com.au/wanderer-camp-5 ... t=3&page=1

A pair of them with a comfort topper might work if we decided to couple the single cots together to make a full sized king bed
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Watertank » Wed 30 May, 2018 10:36 pm

Exped mega mats are brilliant ~ expensive but very comfortable
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bushman_Craig » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:36 pm

Not really a fan of cots since in the cooler weather the air gap underneath you turns into a big heat sink, but the same could be said for an air mattress. We use a double air mattress - an old school rubberised cotton box section jobbie since they have proven much more rugged and reliable than the flocked PVC abominations out there. The solution to the heat sink issue with these air beds is simply to provide insulation under the mattress, in our case it's a big, thick wool blanket.

Of course, when it's just me I tend to swag it during vehicle-borne adventures. The setup pictured below is for very cold weather - Groundsheet, then swag outer, then a layer of newspaper, then the foam mattress, then a very old feather and down military sleeping bag.

If dry weather I usually pitch a japara camp sheet lean-to fashion to keep the dew off. For weather such as encountered last weekend up in the Bago State Forest, I took a US Army canvas shelter, which dealt nicely with a night of snow and ice at Paddy's River Dam, then two straight nights of freezing cold rain by the foreshore of Blowering Dam.
Bushman_Craig
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby photohiker » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 8:32 am

When we travel via the car instead of 100% hiking.

For the three of us, we have two swags:

The small one is the Mitchell King Single, and the newer one is the Darche 'Dusk to Dawn 1400' Only use the std mattresses that come with the swags and take suitable sleeping bags depending on the climate.

Compared to larger camping tents, swags are more comfortable and quicker to setup and packup, and when we are in the outback we prefer to see the landscape. The swags have mozzie screens so can see the stars, moon etc, at night.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:26 am

I like Dache. Got a Darche Hornet from years ago. 2.4kg easy 2 person, 4 season tent. Not super light but a great tent.

These days when I think car camping I think sleeping in the car, not in a tent otherwise I will use my hiking gear. But I have been looking for a mattress for the car and found these for $89.
https://www.clarkrubber.com.au/comfort-mattress-camp

Has anyone given them a go and do they work well?
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 28 Mar, 2023 1:32 pm

A lot has happened since the last post in this thread.
Not least of which has been Covid.
Our 10YO grandson broke one of out big Darche cots last week, he was probably doing the usual thing of jumping on the bed but they aren't as strong as they should be for their weight and bulk.
They were rated at 150kg but that is maximum static and with an energetic 10YO 150kPa isn't hard to exceed but the cot failed in the same place as every other X-leg cot I've owned has failed.
Centre leg on the lower short section.
My old army cot is still going and will outlive me by at least 50 years I'm thinking
Still thinking about having that new trailer built but as we needed a new cot for the grandkids for a while yet and as Snowys were having a clearance I just got myself an Oz-Tent single swag tent and a 200kg rated camp cot for when I'm on my own.
I've just started looking for a set of wreckers springs, either Holden or Ford leaf springs set with shackles etc for the build
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment