Good Work (and hiking) Boots

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Good Work (and hiking) Boots

Postby BushcrafterAU » Tue 23 Oct, 2018 12:48 pm

I seem to go through boots very quickly.
I’ve had two pairs of Rivers work boots break within 2 months each,
Two Rossi Boots (301 Endura and Trojan) soles come off within 2 months each,
One pair of Redbacks (UBBK) which have had the elastic sides become very loose...
I think you get the idea. All my boots seem to break very fast!
I’m now onto a pair of Mack Boots (Tradie), which seem to holding up a bit better.

So what durable boot brand would you recommend?
BushcrafterAU
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Good Work (and hiking) Boots

Postby trekker76 » Tue 23 Oct, 2018 1:32 pm

I'm no boot expert but am thinking work boots are low cost options in the general scheme of things, especially with the world economy as it is manufacturers make cheaper and cheaper mid-level crap to keep profits rolling. Also flogging them up trails might place them under unusual stresses for boots designed to just plonk around largely flat work areas.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 23 Oct, 2018 2:58 pm

Work boots and hiking boots seemed to have quite different requirements. For a start, there's no need for steel caps for hikes. Putting them together seemed to be a bit odd.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 23 Oct, 2018 4:28 pm

The Army did a big study into steel capped boots for its infantry. They decided it was a really bad idea as the extra weight far outweighed the protection advantages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 23 Oct, 2018 6:01 pm

Blundstone 311's are an excellent, durable, outdoor workboot. Couldn't guess how far I've walked in them. Tried a few cheaper but they were a waste of money and can't see the point of anything more expensive.
Even did a fair bit of daywalking in them when I was first starting out bushwalking (not that long ago).
CraigVIC

Postby whitefang » Tue 23 Oct, 2018 8:13 pm

I wear Oliver’s for work and get about a year from a pair. I wear them every work day trudging through the scrub, steep and rocky slopes, fire trail and bitumen. They’re comfy enough for work, but given the choice there’s no way I would want to put them on my feet for bushwalking.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Warin » Tue 23 Oct, 2018 9:58 pm

I have a pair of Hi-tec Quadra Trail shoes that I was quite impressed with .. untill I got some sore feet, and then some what later the soles toe separated from the upper. Umm I took a look at the sole ... the lugs are worn right down .. so they have done a bit of walking .. probably explains the sore feet (no lugs) and the separation (too thin now to hold together).
These were water proof .. and lighter than the Hi-tec Altitude lows that I got at about the same time. I used the Quadras because they were lighter. Bit I think the Altitudes maybe better value - possibly lasting longer .. I have bough another pair or the Altitudes to replace the Quadras.

Boots? I have some Hi-tec Penriths .. but I have very little distance on them, so you'll have to wait for any endorsement. They have passed the waterproof tests ..the creeks have been a little high with the last weeks rain so they have got a good test or 5.

Of course there are walking ... not working footwear. They may suit if your not interested in steel caps.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby BushcrafterAU » Wed 24 Oct, 2018 4:56 am

Yes, I’m not all that interested in steel caps. I’ll wear them if that’s all that’s available, and if they are reasonably light weight, but otherwise I prefer soft toe.
I also tend to prefer slip on boots because of the practicality of them.
The only pair of more expensive ($130 of I remember) proper hiking boots lasted terribly, although I must admit they were very comfortable. The brand was Ecolite (from Ray’s Outdoors).
BushcrafterAU
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Wed 24 Oct, 2018 7:17 am

Cheaping out on boots is a great way to buy more. That being said, expensive doesn't always mean durable.
I find that slip-ons don't provide the support I need for hills, though I know a few guys who do wear them, its almost always on short days, and they are light/fit guys. The last walk I was on with a bigger bloke in slip-ons, he was hating life after the first down-hill as his toes were smashed to bits.
The current outdoor trend is for waterproof shoes, I am not a fan, but many are. So that is something to consider.
Hiking shoes tend to sacrifice some durability for comfort as soft trails are much less hard on shoes than a jobsite, but if you are thinking both, then the harder sole will help.
For shoes, many of my workmates wear solomans, and they seem to hold up reasonably well, merrels are good, but don't hold up quite as well, keens have a harder sole, and can have trouble gripping in some conditions, but do hold up due to their toe-cap sole design. Everyone used to be in volleys, but the durability just isn't there on them anymore.
Hope that helps in your looking,
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Hiking Noob » Wed 24 Oct, 2018 9:12 am

If you want something without a cap and quick to put on I'd think a boilermaker type boot with a zip would be the only real choice I can think of-
https://www.workwearhub.com.au/steel-bl ... black.html

Not cheap but I quite like my Steel Blue boots, have had King G, T Boots, Oliver and Big W's house brand "Blacksmith" and all the ones I have had have been garbage, split soles, "leather" delaminating, rock hard soles, wafer thin innersoles etc etc.

Now I either buy expensive boots or spend 10-16 dollars on an innersole, I have started buying shoes that are the right shape and just putting a new innersole in them as it saves me a lot of time and money over hunting for the perfect shoe. Tried the $100+ microwaveable ones but just got bruised feet, they are on sale for $10 and are my favourite and they are the right size for me straight out of the packet. https://www.priceline.com.au/footcare-m ... les-1-pair.
Hiking Noob
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby trekker76 » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 2:43 pm

I'd love a zip boot like the steel blues but without all the padding.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby drakkar » Sun 28 Oct, 2018 8:39 pm

I've spent the majority of my working life in steel caps. (on my feet on bare concrete up and down ladders and construction rubble all day)
Ankle height lace up is a safety requirement on many of these sites - The stats in reduced injury speak for themselves.

Steel Blue argyle Zip are the comfiest and longest surviving boots I've had by a very long shot. Set the laces, zip up or off is as easy as elasticised one's. As for hiking, if they weren't so heavy, they would be great still ok for short-ish half day jaunts.

Recently I've stumbled across 'tactical boots' A cross between work boots, army/prepper boots and hiking boots with varying compromises. Something I'm considering for an every day wear now I'm not involved in construction.
Also many hunters use a heavier duty boot, might be worth poking around some of their forums if you have the stomach for it.

Link to a random shop from a random google search with a few options....
http://www.outdoortactical.com.au/footw ... cal-boots/
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hiking Noob » Sun 28 Oct, 2018 9:34 pm

As above, there will be some tactical style boots that may suit- https://www.511tactical.com.au/taclite- ... -boot.html

Some of the work boots can get annoying with small rocks getting stuck between the tread blocks, a lot use a rectangle block with no chamfer and when you walk up hill they open up and trap rocks between the lugs(blocks?). It sounds like you have tap boots on when you have to go somewhere with a smooth floor.
Hiking Noob
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby trekker76 » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 1:31 am

I'm a former hunter, you won't find much ground breaking advice in their world. Vast majority are 'car camping' level, wearing whatever is convenient for day wear. The few putting in serious miles follow similar LW or UL principles as here.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment