Macpac Cascade. Canvas. ? Repair ? Capacity

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Macpac Cascade. Canvas. ? Repair ? Capacity

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 18 Apr, 2019 2:01 pm

I just went to my local opshop which is only open once a week, it is an Aladdins's cave of treasures.

Picked up a canvas Macpac Cascade for $5. I am assuming it was from the era before Macpac sent manufacturing off-shore.

I am guessing 90lt capacity? Does anyone know?

The harness is too long in the torso for me, but it was ok on the walk home adjusted down and filled with opshop bounty.

All zippers, straps, buckles work perfectly. Flaw/wear on underside of shoulder straps. Am assuming they may have been fitted to the frame stays at one point?

Grabbed it as, well, it was 5 bucks! Plus have a few friends who have expressed a desire to come out overnight with me and also my 22yo son has a few mates who are keen to try multiday walking too.

Can anyone help me with capacity for curiosity's sake and also any suggestions re repair of shoulder straps?
Attachments
20190418_092619.jpg
20190418_133957.jpg
20190418_134211.jpg
20190418_133944.jpg
20190418_134012.jpg
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Macpac Cascade. Canvas. ? Repair ? Capacity

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 18 Apr, 2019 3:06 pm

http://remoterepairs.com.au/faq/

ha! I saw on this page a photo of exactly the problem my new pack has and that it is indeed fixable. I haven't contacted them, but will for a quote. It may well be cheaper to see what someone local could do. Even one of the horse rug repairers or something.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby teak » Thu 18 Apr, 2019 3:16 pm

I have a Macpac traverse which is about 70 litres, I think the Cascade was the larger version of about 80 litres. The shoulder straps were attached at two points to the aluminium struts as per the photos, for a cheap fix a couple of large cable ties around the strap and behind the strut might work. When wearing the pack the two load lifting straps either side of the hauling loop need to be tight to relieve strain on the strap attachments.
Attachments
DSCN1210.jpg
DSCN1212.jpg
DSCN1213.jpg
Load lifting straps arrowed.
teak
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Paul » Thu 18 Apr, 2019 3:30 pm

Hi

This company is very reputable.

http://remoterepairs.com.au/

Cheers,
Paul.
Paul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 18 Apr, 2019 3:55 pm

$5-
I officially hate you!
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Aardvark » Thu 18 Apr, 2019 7:20 pm

Send it to remote repairs. We used to take in Macpac dynamic harness' all the time at K2 Base Camp for repair. They recognise the limitations of their dynamic harness. ie the plastic deteriorates on the shoulder straps. They are usually replaced for free. The old brochures used to market that harness as suitable for 20kgs. The reality with a Cascade is that it is big enough to carry much more than that. If its a size 3 back length or equivalent it is likely 90lt. That measure is really only relevant within that brand. It allows you to compare within that brand. Different brands employ slightly different techniques for that measurement. Treat it as a guideline. Call it what you want.
As long as it holds what you want it to. You have the ability to minimise it with compression straps all over it.
You can make a big bag smaller but you can't make a small bag bigger. Even with a daypack size load you could not get a better harness to support the load from any daypack.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby adg » Fri 19 Apr, 2019 10:37 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:I just went to my local opshop which is only open once a week, it is an Aladdins's cave of treasures.

Can anyone help me with capacity for curiosity's sake and also any suggestions re repair of shoulder straps?

Macpac themselves sell replacement shoulder straps: https://www.macpac.com.au/camp/tents/bi ... 13226.html. RRP is $50, but usual 'club' discounts and sales apply - I got the straps on my Kakapo replaced for $30 just recently.

They'll do the replacement in-store too. Finding the right store is the trick. I think the original (i.e. not rebranded Rays Outdoors) stores know what to do.

Capacity (I think) was 80 litres - it could even be 90 (sorry, memory fails me now...)
adg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 19 Apr, 2019 11:26 am

Thank you for all the great replies, much appreciated.

I got a quote to have them sent away for repairs and am looking at $75 plus freight, so over $100. Reasonable for the work that would be done, but more than I would invest. Cable ties were looking good, or my mother in law who is amazing at sewing, but the replacement straps from Macpac are sounding like an affordable option. I have a Macpac store about an hour and a half from me, so will get in touch with them and see what they have to say about doing it.

I am so stoked with the pack. It actually feels okay on me when I loaded it up last night, the internal frame length is actually shorter than my 65lt Osprey pack, so with the shoulder straps right down to the smallest setting, I think I could comfortably carry it. I do not do much off track walking, but perhaps in time I will, and this pack would be just the thing- no mesh or delicate bits on it, it feels like a real workhorse.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stry » Sat 20 Apr, 2019 8:27 am

Moondog55 wrote:$5-
I officially hate you!

As soon as I opened the topic, I expected to see this :lol:

You need to frequent a better class of op shop MD :lol:
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Sat 20 Apr, 2019 11:05 am

I use an old Torre as my training pack which I repaired with 50mm wide Velcro which seems to work ok.
I also have a 1989 catalog with it in.
Attachments
10233DE9-2B92-4183-A603-3DA3FB5D3FF7.jpeg
10233DE9-2B92-4183-A603-3DA3FB5D3FF7.jpeg (85.26 KiB) Viewed 9441 times
18E74CC4-A070-4D53-B2BB-7349FD7466E8.jpeg
18E74CC4-A070-4D53-B2BB-7349FD7466E8.jpeg (77.9 KiB) Viewed 9441 times
C501A8F1-57B9-445E-ACCE-94A51BDCEBD9.jpeg
C501A8F1-57B9-445E-ACCE-94A51BDCEBD9.jpeg (80 KiB) Viewed 9441 times
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 20 Apr, 2019 2:17 pm

Moondog55 wrote:$5-
I officially hate you!

Ahh Moondog, you have been so kind to me over the last year or so, that I feel a bit guilty that you would have liked to nab the bargain for yourself! If it doesn't see as much use as anticipated over the next while, it is absolutely yours.

MeanderingFlyFisher. Ahah! I like that repair. Mother in law is a retired home ec head teacher so can help me out with something like that I am sure. She already has a thinsulate project on the go for me (thanks to Moondog), so what is another favour to ask her. I shall drop the pack off with my kids to her next weekend. I like to be frugal where I can, so although a great pack, am not inclined to want to throw $100+ on it sending it away for repair at this time.
Btw I like your username. I am going to try and get me some trout action on Tues/Wed week.....I have no skills in freshwater whatsoever, so I am sure it will just be a pleasant, but fruitless way to spend an afternoon for me :lol:
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 20 Apr, 2019 3:04 pm

No n3ed I have over 7 rucksacks here already.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Sat 20 Apr, 2019 3:55 pm

No sewing needed on my repair as the front half is one side of the Velcro and the back half is the other side of Velcro and they just hook together.
Good luck with your fishing and hope you enjoy it. If there is anything I can help you with in fly fishing just ask as I know a lot more about that than hiking.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 20 Apr, 2019 4:15 pm

You have quite the collection Moondog, nice! Okay, I best make sure that I use it lots then seeing as it will definitely continue to reside in rural NSW.

MeanderingFlyFisher- ahah. Silly me. Even I can get velcro, too easy. Bit of a blonde moment at not working that out for myself :oops: Loved the catalogue pics too, thanks for that.
I will hit you up for sure re:fly fishing in the future. I don;t have a fly fishing rod yet, but will just take my son's telescoping rod and a few of the lures he and my husband use on the river to catch bass. I typically just paddle along in my own kayak daydreaming and take pics when they catch fish. I have used bait to fish in salt water on my bushwalks before though and really enjoyed myself. I did wonder about the trout/dough putty stuff I saw at BCF , as that would be quite simple. I think the trout up on the plateau are just going to laugh at me while they stay safely in the water, but it is something I am keen to learn more about.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Sat 20 Apr, 2019 6:46 pm

I think throwing around some small lures(the smaller the better for trout in the headwaters) would be a much better way to spend a couple of hours than using powerbait.Just cast upstream and wind back towards yourself as the trout are facing upstream waiting for food to float down with the current.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 20 Apr, 2019 7:55 pm

Brilliant! Thank you. I shall see what 'the boys' have in their tackle box. Some of the jitterbug type lures they throw around the river at home are pretty big, so I appreciate the tip.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment