What rain jacket does everyone use

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

What rain jacket does everyone use

Postby Zaeed » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 2:27 pm

Hey all,

I'm on the hunt for a sturdy rain jacket for hiking in Tasmania, that can stand up to multiple days of hard rain with a pack on.

In my research I've come across the Arc'teryx Beta AR which has good reviews, but is pricey. I tried the Mont Odyssey at Paddy Pallin which seems good, but can't find many reviews about it.

The main point I'm uncertain on is how robust the jacket needs to be, as it's very easy to get lost in all the marketing hype around the different fabrics, such as gore-tex active/paclite/pro/standard, 2L, 2.5L, 3L, etc

Price isn't a big driver, i'm firmly in the camp of paying for quality, and expect to have this jacket for quite a while.

So just wondering what others are using and suggest.
Zaeed
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Re: What rain jacket does everyone use

Postby bobcrusader » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 9:46 am

Found this: https://www.paddypallin.com.au/blog/all ... f-fabrics/ which also links back to an article about choosing jackets.
bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby Bubbalouie » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 10:33 am

Having had a few jackets over the years I'd strongly recommend getting something with pit zips, they make a huge difference.

I also suggest getting as high of a breathability rating as possible.

Personally I use an old Zpacks thing (old 2.5 layer event fabric, it's white in colour), but it's looking a little worse for wear. I am considering a Montbell Versalite as it's eventual replacement.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Zaeed » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 10:59 am

bobcrusader wrote:Found this: https://www.paddypallin.com.au/blog/all ... f-fabrics/ which also links back to an article about choosing jackets.

Cheers

Yeah I've been reading quite a bit about them all. Finding people that actually use the various fabrics that actually know how they handle certain situations is hard.

I've lost count how many reviews i've read where they wore the jacket and it wasn't even raining.
Zaeed
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby warnesy » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 11:04 am

I use a marmot essence. Seems to go pretty good for a lightweight jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 11:10 am

I carry an old dinosaur design of a rain jacket that weighs a kilo, while labled as WPB it will not cope with the amount of vapour created while active but it is waterproof enough to cope with a tropical downpour and robust enough for scrub bashing. I also use an old US Surplus Goretex parka that while robust and very breathable under normal conditions is also very very heavy and bulky. Sometimes funds dictate where you end up. Second the need to for pit zips
With modern clothing systems and good DWR raincoats have maybe become less inportant
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 11:22 am

Normally just a disposable/reusable poncho I picked up at Kathmandu but for Tassie/Snowy Mountains Winter, I've got a Arc'Teryx Beta AR. I bought this jacket because it was the only "decent" jacket I could find that fitted me (XX-XXXL), which suprised me actually because I thought Arc'Teryx only made clothing in a slim/athletic fit.

Arc'Teryx Beta AR is an awesome jacket, fully seam sealed GTX Pro and solid outer layer but like everything Arc'Teryx, insane expensive. It's not light either but what weight/cost do you put on your safety. A bit of luxury in extreme weather isn't a bad thing, if fact you can start complaining the weather isn't extreme enough when you're carrying it :D
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Petew » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 12:06 pm

I use a Marmont precip if not expecting much rain and a montbell storm cruiser if the weather is totally crappy
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Zaeed » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 1:49 pm

I'm not game enough to buy a jacket without trying it on first, and in Tassie I can't seem to find Montbell sold anywhere.

Thanks for that crollsurf, I'm looking at the Zeta AR a bit, as that's been described as a more Hiking focused jacket. Still too many options to consider :/
Zaeed
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 2:37 pm

Zaeed wrote:I'm not game enough to buy a jacket without trying it on first, and in Tassie I can't seem to find Montbell sold anywhere.

Thanks for that crollsurf, I'm looking at the Zeta AR a bit, as that's been described as a more Hiking focused jacket. Still too many options to consider :/

Perfect excuse for a trip the mainland
Be warned that even in so called US sizes MontBell run small as does Montane from the UK
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 6:57 pm

My jacket is a marmot precip, but it wouldn't handle scrub.
My work supplied jacket is a WE deluge. Not light, but tough. Has a double zip, and the pockets are pretty good. But no collar for the hood. Pluses and minuses. So far, a year in and the only problem is that the cuff velcros have delaminated on a bunch of the jackets. The velcro still works, but there is now an extra flap of fabric, could be fixed if anyone cared.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby emma_melbourne » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 9:30 pm

Outdoor Research Helium Traveller (which is the longer size, below-the-butt raincoat) in one size larger than I am. I love it. Pair that with the Outdoor Research Helium rain paints. Happy days.

But... I wouldn't be taking that option if I was bush-wacking. It's towards the Ultralight end of the spectrum. Very packable. Effective at keeping out rain. But could hypothetically tear more easily than some fabrics if you're bush-wacking.
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Thu 18 Jul, 2019 12:23 pm

I have been pretty impressed with air permeable textiles - I haven't worn them bushwalking, admittedly, but I wear an AP jacket when mountain biking in really wet weather.

Cycling is a far more intense activity then bushwalking and I sweat early and freely when I am working hard. I have been impressed with AP fabric's capacity to lead to less apparent sweat buildup than, for example cycling in my bushwalking jacket (gore-tex paclite).

I don't know how durable these fabrics are and I don't even know if you can still buy them - I haven't seen eVent around for ages and the jacket I own is a macpac pertex AP - now no longer made.

If someone could produce an AP fabric with external membrane (i.e. permanent DWR) and long enough to go mid thigh.... now I would buy that.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Thu 18 Jul, 2019 1:27 pm

+1 for Marmot Essence. Super light (<200g) but breathable and sheds water well. Bit on the flimsy side for scrub and doesn't offer much additional insulation in cold weather.
For wet/cold/snowy conditions I have a (now discontinued) Arc'teryx Theta AR. Brilliant jacket - warm, comfortable, sheds water well, deals well with scrub, breathable and reasonably light (about 500g). Getting a bit frayed around the hems now after years of abuse though.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Al M » Thu 18 Jul, 2019 10:27 pm

I’ve actually done well with an oversized $70 low cost and simple 3 Peaks older style raincoat which has vents and not worry about bush bashing a more expensive version. It’s done as well or outlasted for 10 years some of my other $200 fancier raincoats.

Recently got a Montbell Drytec so far very good on trek to Nepal in the rain.
Last edited by Al M on Thu 18 Jul, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Neo » Thu 18 Jul, 2019 10:35 pm

I lashed out on a long Mont about $340 on spesh.
I'm in the 'don't usually get rained on' crowd though!

A bomber coat. I also have an OR helium 2 which is my tiny light go to for wind and possible showers.

Also have the smaller Helinox umbrella, only got wet once this year.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby matagi » Fri 19 Jul, 2019 7:31 am

I have just replaced my MacPac Prophet (which unfortunately has started delaminating) with a Mont Odyssey. I chose the Odyssey because it has pit zips and it is long. According to the man at Bogong Equipment, where I bought it, most brands are not producing long jackets this season.

FWIW, the SAR guys in Tassie use Mont.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Region: Tasmania

Postby Gadgetgeek » Fri 19 Jul, 2019 5:40 pm

My work had a set of Mont jackets, we all ditched them pretty fast. Not bad if you need something that will make due and the boss is paying, but the pockets were awful, the storm flap was useless, the hood was miserable, and the collar came up to everyone's eyes. Seasons come and go, they might be better this year as we got them last year, so they would have been the 2017 or 2016 model.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby matagi » Sat 20 Jul, 2019 8:13 am

The Odyssey does not have a storm flap and the collar just skims the tip of my nose (female, 165cm). I have never found a hood that works for me (I must have a strange shaped head or something) so can't really comment on that aspect.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Postby north-north-west » Sat 20 Jul, 2019 9:29 am

matagi wrote: I have never found a hood that works for me (I must have a strange shaped head or something) ...

Almost everything with a hood these days is made "helmet compatible", so they're almost always grossly oversized. Like you, I've never found one yet that is really right.

I'm also in the market for a new rainjacket, and I've decided on the WE Deluge. Partly because it's one of very few long jackets still available, and partly because it's a true heavy-duty beast that can cope with scrub-bashing better than the lightweights. It's also surprisingly cheap (RRP $219), and it comes in red. If it only had a chest pocket it would be perfect...
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Lamont » Sat 20 Jul, 2019 10:42 am

Zaeed wrote:Hey all,

I'm on the hunt for a sturdy rain jacket for hiking in Tasmania, that can stand up to multiple days of hard rain with a pack on.

Two problems I reckon for what it's worth-
Respectfully, I reckon asking this question is like asking "I want the very best New Zealand music-which Dave Dobbyn album should I buy?" What do you reckon Wayno?
Are you after scrub/track/summer/winter-All- 2 days/ 8 days?
What does for 'Tasmania' mean for you? That's the question I reckon. Wouldn't areas of Victoria and ACT (NSW?) be similar?
The other, which has not really been addressed (Crollys poncho did I reckon ?) because perhaps it can't is-
"this jacket X has been used in all day rain, I put it on next morning and it was dry"-which seems to be the real thing you want (is it?) and likely (very) aren't going to get.
If you want it to hold up for one trip you'll likely be fine I would expect but have many stories of wetting on the first day and remaining wet for days even on a new/newish jacket.
Put it on the second/third day on your subsequent trips and it will likely be increasingly wet and likely stay wet as long as it rains. So I suppose I'm wondering what do you mean by 'stand up to rain' do you mean avoid become saturated on the outside?
I would be really interested to know if anyone has a jacket that basically has the DWR C6 as most resilient to rucksack rubbing -which stays put for the longest period.
Or is easily refreshed after a walk and really good for use soon after?
The Sack and scrub will wear away the DWR coating pretty quick won't it?
Outside wets pretty quick (DWR C6-coating on nearly all jackets) once you've worn the jacket a few times and you will always get sweaty (no matter what the marketing hype says) on the inside-scares me in the cold-wearing a wet piece of clothing in the wind.
Most of the jackets mentioned have the same DWR coating C6- Just wondering Crolly does the Arcteryx hold the DWR well after repeated rains/snow?
If that did I would seriously look at that- they make nice stuff. They make especially nice hoods!
I much prefer front vents/pockets over pit zips, but most jackets don't have them. Mechanical venting is a great help as a few have said.
Good hunting-I always like to hear what works for people so I will follow and don't forget to give an update of your experience with your new jacket!
ps-don't be afraid to pose this question as well over on BPL-(pay your basic subscription) they are really up on this stuff. You'll likely find not much support for 'permanently WPB' rain wear for the conditions that you describe but as Moondog said new stuff is coming and out quite often and we hear of it way after the Northern Hemisphere.
Cheers.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Biggles » Sun 21 Jul, 2019 11:28 am

Last year I bought from Anaconda a The North Face Venture 2 jacket, with side pockets, underarm zips, adjustable hood, waist drawcords and seam-sealed throughout (made in Vietnam). I thought it looked plendid on a mannequin. Best of all it is a flat pack, with next to no bulk and hides in the "secret" back-most compartment of my camera pack. Not cheap at $220, but it has proven its worth several times over now, and dries surprisingly quickly. Prior to this little gem I was wearing an ALDI jacket, but that is considerably bulkier and does not have a hood and is a bit constrictive (TNF has a bit of 'bellows' that allows freedom of movement with a pack on).
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 21 Jul, 2019 11:48 am

Ohh, the deliciousness of someone saying that a $220 jacket isn't cheap. Have a look at the prices on Arc'teryx.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Biggles » Sun 21 Jul, 2019 12:17 pm

north-north-west wrote:Ohh, the deliciousness of someone saying that a $220 jacket isn't cheap. Have a look at the prices on Arc'teryx.

Eeek!! OMG!!
$820 for the Beta AR!?
I recant!
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Sun 21 Jul, 2019 1:23 pm

Biggles wrote:
north-north-west wrote:Ohh, the deliciousness of someone saying that a $220 jacket isn't cheap. Have a look at the prices on Arc'teryx.

Eeek!! OMG!!
$820 for the Beta AR!?
I recant!
Don't worry about the AR check out the SV prices. Lol
Huntsman247

Postby Warin » Sun 21 Jul, 2019 8:23 pm

Biggles wrote:I was wearing an ALDI jacket, but that is considerably bulkier and does not have a hood and is a bit constrictive (TNF has a bit of 'bellows' that allows freedom of movement with a pack on).

I purchased the latest ALDI jacket.
Has a hood, "waterproof" zips (I'd call all of them "water resistant"), 2 pockets, mesh stuff sack tacked inside one of the pockets, elasticised cuffs, elastic draw string waste.
weight 311g medium size
Hydrostatic head 10m
breathable 10,000 g/m^2/24 hours
Seams sealed
$40
Packed size inside its own stuff sack ~130mm diameter and 200mm long .. you can compress it to about half that.

Lacks pit zips. And I'd like it longer, but for $40? Certainly I'll take it. Yet to be tested but should be ok for track walking. Not certain I'd trust it yet for scrub bashing.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ggorgeman » Tue 23 Jul, 2019 2:17 pm

Recently purchase Marmot "Minimalist" at Anaconda $210 at a 40% off sale. Goretex. Has seen two afternoons of decent rain showers coming through and remained dry. No wetting through. Reasonably robust although not sure about extreme scrub bashing.
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby beardless » Tue 23 Jul, 2019 6:25 pm

Patagonia Torrential. It is pretty light but still provides fairly good weather protection down to the waist. (It is not the best in humid conditions but I doubt many are)

You can get tougher, and longer, and more expensive. But not being too heavy and bulky is one of my considerations.

If I was considering a trip in snow or Tassie winter I might consider a longer jacket.
beardless
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 23 Jul, 2019 6:56 pm

Lamont wrote:Two problems I reckon for what it's worth-
Respectfully, I reckon asking this question is like asking "I want the very best New Zealand music-which Dave Dobbyn album should I buy?" What do you reckon Wayno?
Are you after scrub/track/summer/winter-All- 2 days/ 8 days?
What does for 'Tasmania' mean for you? That's the question I reckon. Wouldn't areas of Victoria and ACT (NSW?) be similar?
The other, which has not really been addressed (Crollys poncho did I reckon ?) because perhaps it can't is-
"this jacket X has been used in all day rain, I put it on next morning and it was dry"-which seems to be the real thing you want (is it?) and likely (very) aren't going to get.
If you want it to hold up for one trip you'll likely be fine I would expect but have many stories of wetting on the first day and remaining wet for days even on a new/newish jacket.
Put it on the second/third day on your subsequent trips and it will likely be increasingly wet and likely stay wet as long as it rains. So I suppose I'm wondering what do you mean by 'stand up to rain' do you mean avoid become saturated on the outside?
I would be really interested to know if anyone has a jacket that basically has the DWR C6 as most resilient to rucksack rubbing -which stays put for the longest period.
Or is easily refreshed after a walk and really good for use soon after?
The Sack and scrub will wear away the DWR coating pretty quick won't it?
Outside wets pretty quick (DWR C6-coating on nearly all jackets) once you've worn the jacket a few times and you will always get sweaty (no matter what the marketing hype says) on the inside-scares me in the cold-wearing a wet piece of clothing in the wind.
Most of the jackets mentioned have the same DWR coating C6- Just wondering Crolly does the Arcteryx hold the DWR well after repeated rains/snow?
If that did I would seriously look at that- they make nice stuff. They make especially nice hoods!
I much prefer front vents/pockets over pit zips, but most jackets don't have them. Mechanical venting is a great help as a few have said.
Good hunting-I always like to hear what works for people so I will follow and don't forget to give an update of your experience with your new jacket!
ps-don't be afraid to pose this question as well over on BPL-(pay your basic subscription) they are really up on this stuff. You'll likely find not much support for 'permanently WPB' rain wear for the conditions that you describe but as Moondog said new stuff is coming and out quite often and we hear of it way after the Northern Hemisphere.
Cheers.

I reckon Lamont is on the money here.

DWR rubs off after a bit of time (maybe only a few days (hours?) of serious bushwacking/dirt clinging conditions). and then your wearing a fridge with a cold 'wetted out' outer fabric. Its not much of an issue if your returning to a car and a hot shower at the end of a day or a hiking in warmish conditions but is a serious pain on a single digit to zero degrees multi-day trip with constant rain and mist.

Almost as bad is sweating while heading up a spur and wetting your inner layers (and the inner of the jacket) out from the inside. Now i often take off everything but the rainjacket and shorts/gaiters when walking up hill :shock:

Currently Im using a Columbia outdry extreme jacket. It has a tough membrane with no outside fabric so it cant wetout. and has pit zips and front zips that vent.
Negatives: its not a long jacket and its cut quite snug (wish they made a thigh length, more loose fit one) and while it breathes ok it can still wetout on the inside due to sweat. Also when its really coming down you have to close the pit zips due to water runoff :( . So far durability of outer membrane has been excellent when walking through softer scrub. Though im careful not to scrap it against rock or push through heavy spikey branches.

Not sure what brand is the DWR C6 that lamont mentions? but ive found nikwash DWR treatment rubs off after a few hours in the scrub when used on RAB jackets Pertex 2.5 layer jackets and didnt last long on my old sierra designs Event jacket either.
Last edited by wildwanderer on Tue 23 Jul, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ribuck » Tue 23 Jul, 2019 7:07 pm

Warin wrote:Lacks pit zips.

I've never zipped up my pit zips, so if I had a jacket without zips I would simply cut holes under the armpits and apply a bit of superglue to the edges so that the holes won't fray.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Next

Return to Equipment