Pack for overnight to week-long treks

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Pack for overnight to week-long treks

Postby FNM » Wed 01 Apr, 2020 10:11 pm

Hi guys,

I've done so much reading and researching over the past months that I now have 'buyer's block', so I'm looking for advice. I'm not sure what size pack to go for, for starters, and then also not sure what make/model. I'm looking for something that is ideally suited to 2-4 day hikes, but capable of taking me for 7+ as well. With that in mind, I'm thinking a larger pack (60/65L - maybe even 70??) that is capable of being compressed so that it's comfortable to use if only two-thirds full. This will allow me to use it on short winter hikes as well, potentially.

I don't have my entire setup yet, but at this stage I'm somewhere between Light and UL for the most part when it comes to bigger items, then pretty standard after that. My goal is to go light, but to find the balance with durability and comfort. I guess I'm heading towards UL, but my gear is not there yet.

Tent: Dan Durston 2p - 1.1kg
Quilt by Mike: - 600g
Pad: probably going to sacrifice weight for comfort here.. Haven't purchased yet, but more than likely the Exped:
Exped 9LW - 1.15kg or 7LW - 1.05kg
or S2S Ether Light XT Insulated Large Rectangle - 690g
or Klymit Static V Insulated Luxe (74cm wide, is awesome) - 994g

Tent, Pad, Quilt: approx. 2.7kg

Aside from that, I have the Soto Windmaster stove, 400g Sierra Designs down jacket and the rest is just regular joe blow gear.

My hiking is likely to be mostly mountain regions whenever I get the chance overseas - will be Rockies, Sierra Nevada over next year or two (once things settle). Locally, Grampians, the Prom, alpine region etc. I may take it hiking where there could be some climbing as well, down the track.

Now for a list of packs I'm considering.. I think what makes sense is a larger pack that is somewhat adjustable - ie, has good compression, removable elements or both, but I'm wondering if with my gear, 50L could do the job for long and short hikes? Then there is cost to take into account and durability. Paddy Palin has a decent sale on Osprey products until Sunday. Unfortunately, I'm part of the crew who have recently arrived from overseas, so I'm holed up in a hotel for another 10 days or so... I can always buy one of each, figure out which is best and return the rest. I like the GG (which could also be a good step towards UL) and SDs but they are up a level in cost, so need to determine whether they are worth the extra dollars.

There are a few Osprey options:

- Atmos 50 or Atmos 65 - 1.91kg/2.07kg - On the heavier side, removable lid (can be left behind), stow on the go for hiking poles, sleeping pad straps, dual upper/lower compression straps. Price: $236 for 50, $255 for 65

- Osprey Aether 60 - 2.29kg - Heavier side of things, similar to above but with side panel access and built to carry heavier loads. Price: $285.

- Osprey Stratos 50 - 1.67kg - similar to above but lighter weight, perhaps not as durable. People love for comfort. Price: approx $200

- Osprey Exos 58 - 1.2kg - lighter material but similar features. May struggle with heavier loads. ~$250

Then there is the Granite Gear option:

- Blaze 60 - 1.36kg - light for what it offers, and possibly one that I'll hold onto for longer as I move towards UL, fully removable lid (can be left behind but also be used as lumbar pack to summit, or chest pack), 3 tier front and side compression system (should handle small loads well). It's currently 30% off in the US, but to get it to the door would be much the same as buying from local distributor: Price: ~$400

Then there is Sierra Designs:

Flex Capacitor - 40-60L or 60-75L - 1.2kg - light, plenty of compression straps, made to expand from 40L - 60L or 60-75 for the larger pack. Price: ~$400.

Then there are the Gregorys:

- Zulu 55/65 - 1.62kg/1.77kg - price: ~$250

and Deuter:

Futura Vario 50 + 10 - 2.08kg - ~$320

I guess firstly, I'm wondering what volume I should be going for, given my gear (which will probably only get lighter (except for pad)) is towards the L/UL direction. 70L is probably overkill.. 65 overkill? 65 without the lid is more like 60, GG 60 without the lid more like 55, would 50L suffice? etc.

Any other advice appreciated as well, whether to do with specific products or otherwise. If the GG or SDs seems like definitely the better option, then I'd probably fork out for them. Sorry for the long post - reflects where my head is at!! :)

Cheers
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Pack for overnight to week-long treks

Postby Lamont » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 4:46 am

I think you are having problems because of two things. First you don't know your baseweight (everything -total, minus your water, food and fuel) and second you don't know the volume (rucksack)your baseweight will require.
Which is the reason it's best to buy the rucksack last of all. All I'd suggest is to grab a large box and pack ALL your gear in. Fairly firmly as if in a rucksack. Approximate food packages and pack them in there as well for as many days as you want. Winter stuff obviously this increases. Measure the volume and stick it on the scales as well. HxLxW on the box and you will have a much better idea of the size and weight you need to cater that is, what you want to start with. I.e seven days food plus all your gear equals 65 litres, and 17 kgs say. Then put in three days food and get a volume. Then you have your range. Clothes etc add weight and volume quick. Any other way involves trial and error which can be nice as long as you have the cash to keep trialling and 'erroring' :D :lol: .
Good hunting.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby FNM » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 8:02 am

Yeah, I think you're right. In my mind I'm trying to figure it out from the hotel room so that I can potentially take advantage of the Osprey sale and to keep me enthused by having new gear! Given their returns policy, I guess I can still take advantage of the sale - ie, maybe buy a 50L and a 65L Atmos, do the measuring at home and determine the size that suits. I think with the virus they're extending returns/refund policy from 30 days to 90 days. Might just need to give them a call to find out if exchanging for another item eg, return the 50 Atmos for the 60 Aether, whether I'd have to pay the difference between the sale price of the Atmos and the regular price of the Aether (given the sale will be over) or whether it would only be the difference bw the sale price of the Atmos and the sale price of the Aether (I suspect the former). It still allows me to return for full refund if I decide I'd not entirely happy with the Osprey and would prefer to try the GG, SDs etc instead.

Seems a pretty obvious approach now that you say it - kinda makes me regret the mammoth OP now :oops: ha! I think I was partly growing impatient/going stir-crazy and just wanting something to look forward to while I have another 10 days in this room! It's actually fine in here - no fresh air is the only bummer, but not a huge deal.

Cheers
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 9:03 am

The other thing to remember is that you do not have to pack a large rucksack chockers full.
So if the choice is between a 50 litre smaller pack and a 65litre medium pack it might be wise to go for the slightly bigger pack, very few people actually need a monster like mine but when you need a big pack you really do need a big pack. Extra pockets do add some small extra capacity but it's not quite the same as having the extra room in the main pack.
Now if your future plans include winter above the snowline of more than 3 nites a bigger pack is advantageous. You need a bit more gear in winter but I also take an extra comfort margin in snow.
Also I am a bit bigger than average and my winter static clothes etc take up a bit more room and I need an extra 15 litres simply for that
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby peregrinator » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 9:15 am

Moondog55 wrote:The other thing to remember is that you do not have to pack a large rucksack chockers full . . .

That is true, Moondog. But the passion for Ultralight is ideological, so basic practical advice such as that usually gets ignored or discarded.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FNM » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 9:24 am

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking Moondog. So I guess my attention turns to which of the larger packs handles a half-load or two-thirds-full load best. Looking purely at the specs, that would suggest the $400 Blaze 60 or Flex Capacitor (more compression straps), but the Ospreys may still manage it fine as well. Given that I'm shifting in an UL direction (within reason), plus I run warm and am on the small/average side I'm hoping that a 65L might be the equal of a 70/75 for the average person with standard gear.
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby PedroArvy » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 9:57 am

Why invent a gear list when you can copy a proven one?
I suggest Cam Honan's Arthurs list https://www.thehikinglife.com/2016/06/arthur-range-gear-list-stage-2-sw-tasmania-traverse/
If it can handle the Arthurs in Tasmania it can handle anything.
He is one of the most experienced hikers in the world so there is no lacking credibility in this list.
It's only a 5kg base weight.
However, you would have to stick to it strictly in order that all the items work together.
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 10:02 am

If it helps
My big pack is an 80l WE Alpine Expedition which expands to 100 with the throat, for my trip to New York I though I would try and get smaller and lighter and bought [ from this forum] a smaller lighter 70 litre pack. I simply could not fit all of my winter -30C gear inside it. I tried the Osprey Eather 80 litre also bought via the forum and while it was just large enough it didn't suit my packing style but an excellent pack if you can use a double compartment bag and it did carry very very well when skiing
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 10:41 am

FNM you have nice light gear already, shame to then use a 2kg+ backpack.

Go with the box idea to get an idea of volume.

I find food is often bulkier than I expected! Too many straps and features can be annoying. I like a pack that is more vertical in shape rather than wide or deep.

Sounds like you plan to get a fair bit of use from the new setup. It may be a case of ending up with two packs/sizes to suit which season and adventure you go on.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby crollsurf » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 11:38 am

Longer walks in Oz are generally different to the US and Europe because in Oz, you'll normally need to carry 5-7 days of food. Never hiked in the US, but I get the impression you're rarely more than a few days from resupply, so you can get away with a smaller pack. Food, even dehy adds a lot of weight and volume if your talking 5+ days.

So long haul here, even when L/UL you'll need something that carries ~20kg comfortably. If you're thinking you'll need something like that, Drop.com has the GG Crown 60X for a good price (although AUD$ exchange rate is crap ATM). Maybe compare prices with what you can get in-store e.g. The Osprey Exos 48/58.

Looking at what you already have and what you are thinking of buying, something around 40L would be prefect for overnight and US/Europe if you're never too far from resupply. Once again, with the AUD$ the way it is, Wilderness Threadworks (WT) make great packs so definitely worth a look.

Got a few packs, but my current go-to packs are the WT Sonder 36 and the GG Crown 60X and I'm more than happy with both. Also used an Osprey Exos 48 (Large) on a longer walk (6 days, resupply, 5 days) It was great too. If I had to pick a 1 size fits all, I'd go the Exos 48.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Petew » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 1:25 pm

I'd agree with the exos 48 being a jack of all trades. I have managed to fit 8 days worth of gear and food into one of those several times, even in winter. I have a 60l pack for ski touring (it's been a while) and now use a 40l Atompacks MO as my go to pack. I spent years using a 90l Macpac Torre. My preference is absolutely for a smaller pack. Your gear seems pretty good and suitable for a pack around 50l. Truth is, there is no one pack that works for everything.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby FNM » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 3:01 pm

Neo wrote:FNM you have nice light gear already, shame to then use a 2kg+ backpack.

Go with the box idea to get an idea of volume.

I find food is often bulkier than I expected! Too many straps and features can be annoying. I like a pack that is more vertical in shape rather than wide or deep.

Sounds like you plan to get a fair bit of use from the new setup. It may be a case of ending up with two packs/sizes to suit which season and adventure you go on.

Hmm.. Yeah, you make a good point about the 2kg+ bag... I guess I weigh everything up - cost, comfort, durability, versatility ... In terms of cost, spending an extra $140 now (Blaze/Flex) - while not stoked at the idea, spread that over 10yrs, $14/yr... Makes me feel better about it! :) Given that I have a fairly Light setup developing, it makes sense to stick to the theme with a lighter pack. If I was to go a heavier pack, I could see myself wanting to sell it for something lighter in the next couple of years, whereas the Blaze or Flex, I'll likely be happy to stick with for many years.... They bags I've mentioned all seem fairly equal, aside from the price - might just have to suck it up. I'm willing to carry a bigger pack (eg, 60L Blaze) even if only carrying 45/50L of gear for shorter trips in order to have that versatility for longer trips for now, anyway. You've ALMOST ruled the 2kg+ bags out for me, which means I can chill and wait until I get to my folks' place to do the volume test (rather than pouncing on the Osprey sale)!! Thanks ;)
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FNM » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 3:18 pm

crollsurf wrote:Longer walks in Oz are generally different to the US and Europe because in Oz, you'll normally need to carry 5-7 days of food. Never hiked in the US, but I get the impression you're rarely more than a few days from resupply, so you can get away with a smaller pack. Food, even dehy adds a lot of weight and volume if your talking 5+ days.

So long haul here, even when L/UL you'll need something that carries ~20kg comfortably. If you're thinking you'll need something like that, Drop.com has the GG Crown 60X for a good price (although AUD$ exchange rate is crap ATM). Maybe compare prices with what you can get in-store e.g. The Osprey Exos 48/58.

Looking at what you already have and what you are thinking of buying, something around 40L would be prefect for overnight and US/Europe if you're never too far from resupply. Once again, with the AUD$ the way it is, Wilderness Threadworks (WT) make great packs so definitely worth a look.

Got a few packs, but my current go-to packs are the WT Sonder 36 and the GG Crown 60X and I'm more than happy with both. Also used an Osprey Exos 48 (Large) on a longer walk (6 days, resupply, 5 days) It was great too. If I had to pick a 1 size fits all, I'd go the Exos 48.

It's still a decent price on the Crown X60. I feel like the US is going to crash in the next couple of weeks, so can hold off. I haven't done much research on the Crown, bc I've been focused on the Blaze but will do a little more digging. The purchase doesn't have to be immediate if I'm not going the Osprey. Paddy Pallin don't have the Exos 58 either. I'll take another look at Wilderness Threadworks. I forgot why I thought they wouldn't quite be suitable - I think I thought the packs weren't big enough maybe? At this stage, I can't afford to fork out for 2 packs, so my thinking is that a larger pack can handle 40L, but a smaller pack can't handle 60L.. Have to take that approach for now.
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FNM » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 3:20 pm

Petew wrote:I'd agree with the exos 48 being a jack of all trades. I have managed to fit 8 days worth of gear and food into one of those several times, even in winter. I have a 60l pack for ski touring (it's been a while) and now use a 40l Atompacks MO as my go to pack. I spent years using a 90l Macpac Torre. My preference is absolutely for a smaller pack. Your gear seems pretty good and suitable for a pack around 50l. Truth is, there is no one pack that works for everything.

Crikey!! I don't think I'm at a stage yet where I can pack that efficiently! I haven't actually had my hands on the DD X-mid. I'm looking forward to doing this volume test to see where I'm at! Do you have a packing list online at all?
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 5:05 pm

The Crown X60 is a very good pack. Ditto those made by a number of smaller manufacturers such as ULA (Catalyst, Ohm, etc) in the US and Wilderness Threadworks (Sonder, etc) here in Aus.

As has been said, work out the maximum needed volume first, then find a pack that suits it and fits well. Most ultralight packs are fairly adaptable although not as robust as the big heavy units.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Petew » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 5:43 pm

Hi FNM,

I don't have a gear list online anywhere and it does vairy quite a bit. For me the advantage of a smaller pack is the inability to Chuck excessive stuff into it.
Petew

Postby Warin » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 7:08 pm

FNM - make your own gear list.

Assemble what you have - you may not have 'the tent' yet but you will have 'a tent' use that for sizing. Do the boxing to determine the volume and go from there. Ok some of the new gear will be smaller, but you will have an idea from the old stuff.

P.S. The sleep system is missing a pillow .. at least it would be for me.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 8:46 pm

I have a 58l Exos and while I quite like it, I think the compression system is rubbish. Other Osprey packs and the GG Crown have better less finicky systems. Its only a small point but if your gear list varies quite a bit from walk to walk there may be better choices.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FNM » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 9:09 pm

JohnnoMcJohnno wrote:I have a 58l Exos and while I quite like it, I think the compression system is rubbish. Other Osprey packs and the GG Crown have better less finicky systems. Its only a small point but if your gear list varies quite a bit from walk to walk there may be better choices.

Thanks JMJ, that's handy to know!
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Kurisu » Sun 05 Apr, 2020 11:25 am

Not used any other light(ish) packs, but am very happy with my Exped Lightning 60.
Kurisu
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby peregrinator » Sun 05 Apr, 2020 12:09 pm

Petew wrote: . . . Truth is, there is no one pack that works for everything.

Truth is, for me, an Aarn works brilliantly for everything. The backpack and front pockets combination wins hands down over anything I used prior. Hands down and head up as well; no more leaning over staring at the ground due to much of the weight impacting on my back and shoulders. No connection with Aarn, just a very satisfied customer.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 05 Apr, 2020 12:49 pm

I find the Ospreys, while a bit heavier, are really comfortable and carry the weight well.

I’ve gone with an Osprey 70 because I’m often carrying some of my fellow-traveller’s gear as well.

If I’m by myself I just don’t fill it up - unless just doing a short overnighter when I load up with comfort items :)
ChrisJHC

Postby Lamont » Sun 05 Apr, 2020 1:20 pm

peregrinator wrote:

Truth is, for me, an Aarn works brilliantly for everything. The backpack and front pockets combination wins hands down over anything I used prior. Hands down and head up as well; no more leaning over staring at the ground due to much of the weight impacting on my back and shoulders. No connection with Aarn, just a very satisfied customer.

Wonder what it is about the Aarns? People seem to either love them or hate them. Seems to be no middle ground.
Wouldn't mind putting one on myself to see what goes on.
Also just looking at the Wilderness Threadworks site-(listed some of the ready to post in the 'Specials thread') what about the Ossa FNM?
https://wildernessthreadworks.com/ossa-48l/
I had basically this model a while back and it carried well.
Something to consider at least when you work out the size you'd like.
Again, no affiliation.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby matagi » Sun 05 Apr, 2020 1:50 pm

Lamont wrote:Wonder what it is about the Aarns? People seem to either love them or hate them. Seems to be no middle ground.
Also just looking at the Wilderness Threadworks site-(listed some of the ready to post in the 'Specials thread') what about the Ossa FNM?
Again, no affiliation.

No affiliation with Aarn, but between us, my husband and I have 7 Aarn packs. The ergonomics of the front balance pockets in combination with the main pack really does make walking with a pack more comfortable - particularly if you have back problems. Yes, they can be a colossal pain to get on and off when fully loaded because the balance pockets seem to take on a life of their own but once you've developed a method to corral all the clips and straps, it's not too bad. The key is to become familiar with the pack's foibles and develop a system accordingly.

That said, if they are not properly set up, they are diabolical as I discovered on our most recent OLT trip with my new Peak Aspiration. (finally managed to get the adjustment right in time for the last day - ugh!)

FWIW, the most hated pack my husband owns is a Macpac Cascade 90, which he abandoned as soon as he discovered the Aarn Load Limo.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Region: Tasmania

Postby Kott » Sun 05 Apr, 2020 5:01 pm

I have Deuter Actlite 50-10 - its 1.5kg and one of the most durable and comfortable packs that noone in the English speaking world seems to value. I've used it for two around the world trips (22 months total) and probably 50-100 days pure hiking days. and no-one could say it by looks of it.

But its 1.5kg so most people dont look at it...yet its super comfortable
Kott
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Neo » Sun 05 Apr, 2020 5:20 pm

I think 1.5kg is good. Sub kilo packs only work with light contents. Many brands to choose from, often aiming for or end up at a certain market group.

I also promote Exped to anyone talking about wanting a new backpack. My lightning 45 is 1.08, very comfortable and holds most loads,the zigzag compression works very wel but isn't ideal if one wanted to put items on the outside. My next is an Exped Thunder 60. Has a lid and this is the one I find a bit too strappy but a great pack and under 1.2kg. Just swapped back to the 60L for the colder season, from an Osprey 34L that got me through warm season trips.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FNM » Sun 05 Apr, 2020 7:08 pm

Lamont wrote:
peregrinator wrote:

Wonder what it is about the Aarns? People seem to either love them or hate them. Seems to be no middle ground.
Again, no affiliation.

Yeah, the Ossa is still on my short (read, long) list, Lamont. Thanks! I'm just not sure I'm ready to take that step to such an UL/minimalist setup. However, one of my schools of thought at the moment is perhaps I could run with a specialist L/UL pack around that 50L mark, especially if less than $300, as it would probably account for (at a guess), 75%-80% of my hiking. I could then keep my eyes peeled for when a larger and more mainstream pack becomes available secondhand, like an Osprey Aether 70 or Gregory Baltoro 75 etc, and pick one up for ~$150 perhaps... The reason I have this one line of thinking is that if I am looking at an all-rounder, I'd have to say I'm leaning towards the Granite Gear Blaze 60 or the Sierra Designs 40-60 or 60-75 - all of which will cost ~$400 (though they do really appeal). As an eg, the Ossa and a secondhand purchase would maybe set me back $450.

The Osprey sale at Paddy Pallin ends today and after a good few days of swaying, I decided I'm not going to go the Osprey route. If I end up with a similar pack, I'm more likely to go the Gregory Zulu or Baltoro, both of which come in significantly lighter than their Osprey "equivalents". With a Dan Durston trekking pole tent, the stow-and-go feature of the Osprey packs would be great, but I haven't even decided whether to go trekking pole or buy tent poles instead yet.

Re Aarn packs, the reason I haven't pursued them is price. Having taken another look, the packs themselves are within the ball-park of the Blaze and Flex Capacitor but then there is an extra $120-odd for the balance bags.

Looking forward to getting out of quarantine so that I determine the volume of my gear!
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FNM » Sun 05 Apr, 2020 7:11 pm

Kott wrote:I have Deuter Actlite 50-10 - its 1.5kg and one of the most durable and comfortable packs that noone in the English speaking world seems to value. I've used it for two around the world trips (22 months total) and probably 50-100 days pure hiking days. and no-one could say it by looks of it.

But its 1.5kg so most people dont look at it...yet its super comfortable

Thanks for this. I had been looking at the Futura but not this one. Interesting that it is very durable. That's pretty important to me. Added to the list! :)
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FNM » Sun 05 Apr, 2020 7:18 pm

Neo wrote:I think 1.5kg is good. Sub kilo packs only work with light contents. Many brands to choose from, often aiming for or end up at a certain market group.

I also promote Exped to anyone talking about wanting a new backpack. My lightning 45 is 1.08, very comfortable and holds most loads,the zigzag compression works very wel but isn't ideal if one wanted to put items on the outside. My next is an Exped Thunder 60. Has a lid and this is the one I find a bit too strappy but a great pack and under 1.2kg. Just swapped back to the 60L for the colder season, from an Osprey 34L that got me through warm season trips.

I'm finding the Exped Explorer 60 but can only see the Thunder in 70 (and still only 1.5kg!) ... I do like Exped - one of my preferred brands, but given that Bogong put a warning up about the durability of the pack by pointing out that it is UL and not as robust as the Exped Explore, I think it's probably less durable than I'd like. In saying that, I'm glad I took a closer look at the Expeds and the Exped Explore is now on the list! ... I also need to take a closer look at the materials used on all the packs I'm looking at, bc I'm certainly not all over that part of it!
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Sun 05 Apr, 2020 7:27 pm

I may have the name/weather feature incorrect, pretty sure I have a 60L though!

From what I've seen the Exped fabrics are perhaps middle weight denier, petfectly alright just the overall trade off between a pack that may tear or last a few years vs one that you can pass on to your children (Mont WE etc)
:)

My hunch is you will collect a few.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Equipment