Protection against snakes, spiders and other dangers?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Protection against snakes, spiders and other dangers?

Postby slparker » Thu 08 Nov, 2012 6:46 pm

Just an addition to he first aid links above:don't wash the site- the site is swabbed when using the snake Venom detection kit.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby perfectlydark » Tue 19 Nov, 2013 9:06 am

Hey guys, on this topic in relation to tarp camping, what do you guys do to keep spiders/snakes away at night? (Well mainly spiders)
perfectlydark
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 19 Nov, 2013 9:12 am

perfectlydark wrote:Hey guys, on this topic in relation to tarp camping, what do you guys do to keep spiders/snakes away at night? (Well mainly spiders)

Errr... Phial of Galadriel?

Seriously, I don't think anyone who is worried of spiders and other crawlers would tarp camp. The first thing my wife asked me when I bought our tent was, can an ant get in. Otherwise, insect repellent around the tarp would work.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby perfectlydark » Tue 19 Nov, 2013 9:29 am

Its not worried as such, bit id prefer to not wake up with a funnel web on my face lol. Never tarp camped but am open to it (particularly in the warmer months). Repellant around the tarp was what I was thinking, just seeing if anyone had any other ideas that worked
perfectlydark

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 19 Nov, 2013 9:33 am

I tarp camped once in my life and that was enough. It wasn't the crawlers but the mosquitos that got me bad.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby perfectlydark » Tue 19 Nov, 2013 9:35 am

Yeah I figured a mossie net for my head would take care of that (assuming staying snug in sleeping bag all night). Could be a bad assumption there
perfectlydark

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 19 Nov, 2013 9:37 am

perfectlydark wrote:Yeah I figured a mossie net for my head would take care of that (assuming staying snug in sleeping bag all night). Could be a bad assumption there

Then that should also cover for spiders and others if you set it up right.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby davidf » Tue 19 Nov, 2013 10:06 am

The only tents I have ever owned are cheapies for basecamps.

Cheap light mozzie nets are readily available, I actually saw a treated one on the chemist the other day for about $30.

I hang to loft and dry gear over the tarp, not the ground before use.

Harden up and stop worrying.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Tue 19 Nov, 2013 11:31 am

madmacca wrote:Finally, know how to treat snakebite. Some species are fatal within 20-45 minutes left untreated, but even a simple pressure bandage can extend this to 12 hours plus (enough time to seek medical treatment). http://www.avru.org/firstaid/firstaid_pib.html And carry a pressure bandage with you EVERY time you walk.

+1000
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby perfectlydark » Tue 19 Nov, 2013 11:54 am

Well thats constructive dave..the first part about the net anyway. We can have discussions about saving 50grams you would think a discussion about not being bitten by a spider might be worth talking about but hey lets focus on the real important stuff then..
perfectlydark

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 19 Nov, 2013 12:13 pm

slparker wrote:Just an addition to he first aid links above:don't wash the site- the site is swabbed when using the snake Venom detection kit.

Depends on where you are. In Tasmania, there are only three species of snake and the same antivenin is used for all three.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby slparker » Tue 19 Nov, 2013 12:50 pm

True, but there's still no need to wash the site - unless you're curious to see what the effects of delaying the application of the pressure Immobilisation method are.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby davidf » Tue 19 Nov, 2013 3:18 pm

perfectlydark wrote:Well thats constructive dave..the first part about the net anyway. We can have discussions about saving 50grams you would think a discussion about not being bitten by a spider might be worth talking about but hey lets focus on the real important stuff then..

Hey no offense meant but I thought I was being constructive. Sleep still and the bed bugs don't bite, roll around and eric eastern brown will have his day. Don't leave sleeping gear laying about, includes shoes. Redbacks and funnel webs are ground dwellers mostly.

The odd bug and bite is part and parcel of a good time like broken bones. It happens.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby perfectlydark » Tue 19 Nov, 2013 3:21 pm

Sorry dave I did come off like a bit of a jerk there. Put it down to a bad day. My apologies:)
Yeah im not against the odd bug bite, ive been eaten alive by mozzies enough to let most things pass. Being bitten by something that requires medical attentiom im trying to avoid :)
Bullants sleep at night right? Goddamn ive never felt more pain in my life than after one of those
perfectlydark

Postby Onestepmore » Sat 23 Nov, 2013 9:47 pm

Personally I'd always sleep inside a bug net of some sort, wether it's under a separate tarp, or part of a tent setup.
I put my shoes in with me as well.
Just too many creepy crawlies and bitey things in the bush. I like to sleep at night!
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ellobuddha » Tue 26 Nov, 2013 6:55 am

Havent been bitten and hope not too. Saw a tiger snake, we estimated between 4-5 feet on the weekend up near Thredbo and the tail end of a dark, quite thick snake heading into the undergrowth next to the track - dunno what that was.

Question - does everyone think trousers and gaiters would be strong enough to stop a bite. I wear the STS gaiters with the event fabric on the top section. I am hoping they sre thick enough.
Ellobuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 26 Nov, 2013 7:16 am

Logically I'd want to have gaiter/boot/trousers in fang's way than not. Not as if there are alternatives with CF or steel plated protection.

On a related, what's the best way to beat out snakes in front. I tend to use my walking poles to beat around in front but never know how sensitive they are and how quickly they'll move out. Should I walk faster or slower to match?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Tue 26 Nov, 2013 7:48 am

It makes me wonder if there is any truth in the saying that the first person scares the snake and the second gets bitten.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby MickyB » Tue 26 Nov, 2013 7:55 am

GPSGuided wrote:On a related, what's the best way to beat out snakes in front. I tend to use my walking poles to beat around in front but never know how sensitive they are and how quickly they'll move out. Should I walk faster or slower to match?

I have often wondered the same thing. Looking forward to hearing answers/opions on this.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 26 Nov, 2013 9:06 am

icefest wrote:It makes me wonder if there is any truth in the saying that the first person scares the snake and the second gets bitten.

And all along, I've been telling my wife that I am protecting her by walking in front and beating the bush. Little did she know... :mrgreen:
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Overlandman » Tue 26 Nov, 2013 8:26 pm

icefest wrote:It makes me wonder if there is any truth in the saying that the first person scares the snake and the second gets bitten.

Murphy's law
Its always the 3rd person who gets bitten :P
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Davekyn » Mon 09 Dec, 2013 8:08 am

Learn about the temperament and habitual nature of these animals will do far more for you than a pair of $200.00 snake protectors will do. Talk about playing on peoples fears!

Breading seasons, sunning habits, active & inactive times (inactive being more a dangerous time), feeding habits, availability of prey - dry stints and so on, can determine just how much more aware one should be or not - plus and being aware of what is around, in front and under foot. If your out killing animals for the fun of it, then I hope you get bit!
The best signature, is none.
Davekyn
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Protection against snakes, spiders and other dangers?

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 09 Dec, 2013 9:05 am

Davekyn wrote:Learn about the temperament and habitual nature of these animals will do far more ... can determine just how much more aware one should be or not...

So after all that knowledge, how and what does one needs to do to become "aware"? What does "aware" mean in practice?
Last edited by GPSGuided on Mon 09 Dec, 2013 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby LandSailor » Mon 09 Dec, 2013 9:41 am

Davekyn wrote:Learn about the temperament and habitual nature of these animals will do far more for you than a pair of $200.00 snake protectors will do. Talk about playing on peoples fears!

Breading seasons, sunning habits, active & inactive times (inactive being more a dangerous time), feeding habits, availability of prey - dry stints and so on, can determine just how much more aware one should be or not - plus and being aware of what is around, in front and under foot. If your out killing animals for the fun of it, then I hope you get bit!

Would be great to see some kind of comprehensive online resource for bushwalkers. Enter your walking location anywhere in Australia and it will give you the local species and all the above info (behaviour, micro-habitat, feeding style etc) with perhaps a particular emphasis on the current time of year. Perhaps some commentary from local NPWS rangers as well.
LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Mon 09 Dec, 2013 10:06 am

Davekyn wrote:Learn about the temperament and habitual nature of these animals will do far more for you than a pair of $200.00 snake protectors will do. Talk about playing on peoples fears! ......

Like the snake handler in Portland that got bitten by a Taipan. He had all the experience and knowledge too.

I'll wear my gaiters and watch my step thanks.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby headwerkn » Mon 09 Dec, 2013 10:28 am

IMHO, gaiters are mandatory summertime gear here in Tasmania. Even relatively light ones are capable of deflecting a tiger snake's strike.

I used to get freaked out by them, but after several summers of highlands fly fishing, you come across snakes so often that now it isn't a big deal. Just try to spot them before you step on them, don't try to pick them up, and keep your tent etc. zipped up so don't inadvertantly cuddle up to one at night ;-)

perfectlydark wrote:Hey guys, on this topic in relation to tarp camping, what do you guys do to keep spiders/snakes away at night? (Well mainly spiders)

I have to say, if/when I ever attempt tarp tenting, it will be with a full fly insert. Keeping mozzies off me would be the primarly concern, but I like the idea of having my sleeping gear protected from bugs, ticks, leeches or reptiles who might like to hide in there.

Cheers, Ben.
headwerkn

Postby metastable » Mon 09 Dec, 2013 11:28 am

While doing some research on snakebites etc for my kids, I came across this. Printed it out in A5, double-sided and laminated it for them to carry in their packs. http://www.venompatrol.org/downloads/AVCFA_Guide_2.pdf
metastable
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby neilmny » Mon 09 Dec, 2013 12:57 pm

Thanks metastable.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby LandSailor » Mon 09 Dec, 2013 1:37 pm

LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Equipment