outdoor gearlab reviews

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

outdoor gearlab reviews

Postby wayno » Wed 04 Jul, 2012 7:36 am

outdoor gearlab just posted a range of comparative reviews on a wide range of bushwalking gear categories

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Re: outdoor gearlab reviews

Postby rremick » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 10:41 am

Just wanted to mention a competitor to outdoorgearlab.com, http://www.outsidepursuits.com has excellent gear reviews BUT they have How-To guides telling you how to use all the gear.
rremick
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Postby Franco » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 6:55 pm

I had a quick look.
This is their choice on tents :
http://www.outsidepursuits.com/best-bac ... t-reviews/
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Gadgetgeek » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 7:44 pm

interesting selections.. Not saying anything about the site, every site is limited to what they can get, as well as the expertise and needs of the reviewers. Outdoorgearlab is great, but does fall a bit short when it comes to extreme heat/humidity, and often neglect some manufacturers that one would have thought they would know of. For a budget conscious hiker in the US, I bet there is some decent info there on outside pursuits, but it seems pretty limited. At the end of the day, you need to find a review site that fits with your way of thinking. I like that the wirecutter does massive shootouts and tells you why they eliminate certain products as they narrow the field. But at the end of the day, a review is just an opinion, the more facts the better, but some are hard to quantify.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby JohnStrider » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 10:53 pm

I quite like Outdoor Gearlab's reviews. I bought my Salomon boots based off their review of them.
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment