Buying Gortex Mitten Shells

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Buying Gortex Mitten Shells

Postby SurferShane » Thu 18 Sep, 2008 12:46 am

I have been looking to buy a pair of Gortex mitten shells. I am not looking for the bulky lined type. To keep weight and bulk to a minimum all I have been looking for is a plain Gortex style material shell with no lining. Under these I intend to wear basic wool gloves. I hope to use this combination bushwalking in Tasmanina, including winter and in the NSW winter.

While I saw some similar mitten shells like this a few years back, I have not been able to find any since. I would be grateful if someone could advise me of a mail order/website where I could purchase these plain mittens.

Other suggestions or tips are welcome.

Thanks, Shane
SurferShane
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Re: Buying Gortex Mitten Shells

Postby whiskeylover » Thu 18 Sep, 2008 7:07 am

I got mine from Mountain Designs a few years ago, but I would think they would still be available. I must admit I hardly ever wear them, but they are handy in snow. I wouldn't go anywhere in winter now without them, just in case, not a necessity but much more comfortable than freezing hands. I wear polar fleece well fitted gloves with gorilla grip on them underneath. The only problem I found when buying them was that they come in very limited sizes and as with lots of other items like this they don't come in very small, so I had to get them a bit loose - they would suit my needs better if their fit was better.
medicinal purposes only of course
whiskeylover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 18 Sep, 2008 7:53 am

G'day Shane...

I've got a pair of very old second hand gortex over-mittens. I don't know what brand they are. I wear them over thinsulate gloves (which are nice and warm, by the way). I've only used them twice, but they've been OK.

I say 'OK' rather than great, because, although they appear to be waterproof, the fit is terrible. They don't even appear to be quite the right shape for my hands, and certainly the wrong size. But they keep the water of my warm gloves, reasonably well. They'd work better if they fitted better, I think.

By the way, taswaterfalls' possum fur gloves would probably be the best thing to wear under them, I reckon. I've gotta get myself a pair of those!
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby SurferShane » Thu 18 Sep, 2008 10:14 am

whiskeylover wrote:I got mine from Mountain Designs a few years ago, but I would think they would still be available. I must admit I hardly ever wear them, but they are handy in snow. I wouldn't go anywhere in winter now without them, just in case, not a necessity but much more comfortable than freezing hands. I wear polar fleece well fitted gloves with gorilla grip on them underneath. The only problem I found when buying them was that they come in very limited sizes and as with lots of other items like this they don't come in very small, so I had to get them a bit loose - they would suit my needs better if their fit was better.
SurferShane
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby SurferShane » Thu 18 Sep, 2008 10:20 am

Sorry about the random post above. I was just going to say thanks to whiskeylover. The last pair I saw where also at mountain designs. Unfortunately they don’t stock them anymore. The alternate is those monstrous lined things that weigh as much as my down vest.

Next question might be which Scotch Whiskey mixes best with Tassie mountain water?
SurferShane
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby SurferShane » Thu 18 Sep, 2008 10:30 am

Nuts wrote:Outdoor research make good mitts. They come as shells like this:

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/p ... _-1_-10020

or with removable inner's etc.

Thanks, I previously did a few searches, but could not find exactly what I was looking for. These look perfect!

I also like the idea of the thinsulate gloves as above. However, the good thing about wearing the wool ones underneath is that as soon as you stop they are great for handling the hot stove and pot when brewing that all important cup of tea. (Noting you might also need to keep those fingers warm an nimble for getting the top of the Scotch!)
SurferShane
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby flyfisher » Fri 19 Sep, 2008 9:05 pm

Next question might be which Scotch Whiskey mixes best with Tassie mountain water

Our water is that good ANY scotch tastes good with it!
Possum wool gloves are excellent, and very light also. Available locally from http://www.raw elementz.com
Flyfisher
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Joe » Fri 19 Sep, 2008 9:22 pm

The possum fur gloves i wear are a 22% Possum fur, 32% Merino wool, 35% Polypropylene 16% Lycra. They are made by Weft (or Thermadry) in Christchurch. I love them. Just about lived in them this winter...the fingerless pair I have I wear all day at work.

They are incredibly warm but also light weight and thin. The beauty of possum fur as a fibre for textiles is that it is hollow. This gives it great cushioning (for socks especially...i got 3 pairs of possum socks in kiwiland that I love) and also great insulation properties.

I have possum socks, gloves and beanie...and love them all :D

As for goretex...cant comment...not a fan.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby whiskeylover » Fri 19 Sep, 2008 10:06 pm

Sorry, they're not available anymore - I can't believe that someone wouldn't still stock them - as you say much more convenient than great big thick lined things.
On the whiskey question - well the consensus of opinion would probably be that Tasmanian mountain creek water is pretty good, although spring or clean rain water is probably the best, as you really just want it to dilute the alcohol content to something that doesn't burn your throat, while not affecting the taste. Some water is either too minerally or tap water is too chemically - and to you non-believers - yes you can taste the water and it does make a difference - but I admit I often add a little Deloraine tap water if necessary. Sorry off topic - maybe we need a seperate topic in bush tucker as it is by far the most useful value for weight medicinal beverage to take walking.
medicinal purposes only of course
whiskeylover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Mon 06 Oct, 2008 2:10 pm

The gloves I used weren't Gortex but were a popular brand from a common bushwalking shop.
They fell apart on overland track - maiden voyage
Got em replaced.
They fell apart, Mt Anne, maiden voyager. They don't like handling rocks.

Now I have a goretex pair. Lasting so far but no major work yet...
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Return to Equipment