Backpack Advice

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Backpack Advice

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 21 Jan, 2009 8:53 am

pomysi wrote:Hi,

I splashed out last week and bought a One Planet McMillan 85l. I tried a few on but found this one to have the best fit around the shoulders etc, also i needed it at short notice so from what I saw in Launceston found it to be the best option.

Following a 4 day walk at the weekend reports are as follows:

The harness took a couple of days to settle in, by day three and much adjusting, pulling, cursing and tugging I found the harness to be supercomfy. I would agree that part of this was due to the pack getting lighter but certainly would recommend it if you are looking for comfy load. Exceptional around the hips and lower back.

I really like these packs, but as with all packs getting used to getting the harness adjusted correctly is very important. Did you read the harness adjustment instructions that should have come with the pack? Following the instructions to the letter can get the adjustments correct much quicker. And once you get used to the correct sequence, it takes no time at all to get it right first time every time.

One word of warning though on the first day I got rained on and it did leak. Some of the zips do look a bit vunerable to the elements. The website says that it is waterproof apart from around the zip areas, I think the motto here is that to be sure always use a good pack liner regardless of what the pack is. I had a 35l pack liner for clothes etc but my tent was just in the pack and did get wet at the bottom. Also if weather is bad then dont stuff the external pockets, try to keep the integrity of the zips entact. I am sure most of the water in the pack came in through the front pocket zip.

Ill be interested to hear if any others have had similar problems and comments.

Si

I would never count on a pack to be waterproof (and few really are 100% waterproof, no matter what the advertising says). Even if they are fully waterproof, your water or fuel bottles could leak, you may want to stow a wet tent or other wet gear, etc. So you always need to pack your gear in (possibly separate) waterproof bags within the pack anyway.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby dee_legg » Wed 21 Jan, 2009 9:32 am

If you expect a pack to be 100% waterproof then also expect to not be able to get inside it. I also have the OP McMillian... super happy with it. Have been regularly carrying 20kg plus loads over the last two months and have had no problems. Once i've taken it off for the day i can't even tell that i'd been wearing it from any physical weariness in my shoulders, hips or back. I wouldn't carry anything else.
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 21 Jan, 2009 9:36 am

Does anyone else make front balance pockets with 85 litres capacity? ;-)

(never again!)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Andrew » Wed 21 Jan, 2009 10:01 am

Very Nice SoaB,

The idea is to be able to walk upright and with a low centre of gravity so you'll have to fatten that baby up.

Andrew
Andrew
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Andrew » Wed 21 Jan, 2009 10:03 am

Hi Dee,

No pack is 100% waterproof except AARN. You can even use them to transport water in the built in dry bags.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Wed 21 Jan, 2009 4:00 pm

Last edited by Nuts on Tue 09 Nov, 2010 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby lexharris » Wed 21 Jan, 2009 5:34 pm

Nuts wrote:If you want 'natural balance', drink more beer :D

I've always considered a carton or two of Tasmanian beer an essential part of my pre-trip training every time I go to Tassie. Works for me :D
Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey (1927-1989)
lexharris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Wed 21 Jan, 2009 5:37 pm

What would happen to a Pack with drain holes in a serious river crossing ,No 1 wearing the pack ,No 2 floating the pack,or at worse having an unexpected lengthy immersion when least expected when just crossing a big creek??
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Nuts » Wed 21 Jan, 2009 6:08 pm

Last edited by Nuts on Tue 09 Nov, 2010 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 21 Jan, 2009 8:13 pm

(Swimming packs across a river posts have been split off to their own topic)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tas-man » Thu 22 Jan, 2009 6:08 pm

Andrew wrote:<SNIP> Happy to demo (we live 1/2 hour from Launceston) if you would like to inspect can bring to town or we do go other places around the state irregularly as Allgoods don't keep the stock that these bodypacks deserve.
Cheers, Andrew

Hi Andrew, I would love to have a close look at your Aarn pack if you were happy to bring it along to a Launceston Walking Club meeting some time. I am sure that it would generate some interest among the club! PM me if you can get to the next meeting on Wednesday 28th. I generally run the laptop and projector for the meetings.
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Kainas » Sat 07 Feb, 2009 1:28 am

Another vote for the One Planet McMillan.

We originally purchased a black wolf product for our 14-day overseas hike. I was very disappointed to find that it did not hold the 65litres it claimed to. After reading this thread we went and purchased the OP McMillan.

Every single day of the hike one of us would say to the other "wow these packs are good".
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby nvb » Wed 25 Feb, 2009 11:15 pm

I have had an AARN rucksack for about 5 months and I find it to be exceptionally comfortable on walks as long as 9 hours.

For all but the most rediculously heavy loads the 'AARN guiding light 60L' carries in comfort. I was still pessimistic about how the 'gizmo's' on the pack would work even after I handed over the cash, but to my surprise the moveable parts on the pack greatly add to it's comfort and extend the range of movement while hiking when compared to a 'traditional' pack. The moveable shoulder straps are a pain when you are putting the pack on as one straps gets longer and one shorter making it harder to get on. At Freycinet recently I was carring 10kg of water as well as my hiking gear and found that the single verical stay is a bit uncomfortable when compared to the double vertical stays that most packs use. If I were hiking with weights of over 20kg I would use my other pack... but I believe AARN make packs designed to carry heavy loads, whereas my one is not intended for that use.

The built-in dry bag is good but in a good old fashioned tassie downpour like I experienced at Mt Anne recently they do slighly leak. I would recommend that items that are afraid of water get a little extra protection.

I was sceptical about the minimalist padding that the AARN packs use but have found them to more comfortable than the foam used in other packs. I have used the packs on about 50 hiking days, often through thick head high scrub and pack hauling and have found the pack stands up to much abuse. For its durabilty it is extremely light: 1.5kg.

All in all, when my AARN pack dies I will definitely buy another one.
nvb
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Previous

Return to Equipment