Lightest Sleeping Mat for Tassie? GG Night Light?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Lightest Sleeping Mat for Tassie? GG Night Light?

Postby Earthling » Sat 27 Sep, 2008 1:56 pm

Ive been looking for light Sleeping mats that will be ok for winter in Tassie, upgrading from the heavy Proilite 4. The lightest Ive come up with is the Evazote foam pads.
Goassamer gear make a Evazote foam pad called the NightLight 3/4 Length Sleeping Pad, weighing in at a hefty 230grams...... :shock:
R value 2.27

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gos ... arter.html

Its rated for 3 season use but will it do the job?
Has anybody found a lighter/not much heavier alternative that keeps you warm?
Im using a Western Mountaineering Badger MF rated to -10 on top with a silk liner....want to be tooooooasty :D
Knowledge anybody?
Sent from my home planet Earth using the World Wide Web
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Lightest Sleeping Mat for Tassie? GG Night Light?

Postby alliecat » Sat 27 Sep, 2008 5:56 pm

For winter in Tas I think you'll need a bit more insulation than just the NightLight. If I were you I'd consider adding one of the ThinLight pads from Gossamer Gear as well (a big 120g for and extra R of 0.9 in the 1/4 inch thickness), or just a cheapo blue foam pad. I use the prolite 4 short (120cm) with a blue foamie and that works well for me, but I sleep quite hot. I wouldn't be comfortable with just the prolite in winter.

I think the GG NightLight + Thinlight combo is probably the lightest adequate insulation you'll find.

Cheers,
Alliecat
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Earthling » Sat 27 Sep, 2008 7:42 pm

alliecat wrote: If I were you I'd consider adding one of the ThinLight pads from Gossamer Gear as well (a big 120g for and extra R of 0.9 in the 1/4 inch thickness), or just a cheapo blue foam pad.
I think the GG NightLight + Thinlight combo is probably the lightest adequate insulation you'll find.
Cheers,
Alliecat

I was pondering that as my next light weight option if more warmth was needed....more padding too :D
R 3.17 totalled is equivilant to a single Prolite 4, R 3.2.
350gms to 680gms.
Nearly half the weight...I like it!

Anyone else with some good suggestions/knowledge/thoughts?
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Jai Maluga » Fri 26 Dec, 2008 9:54 pm

I have always thought about using a silver reflective survival blanket under my thermorest for extra warmth on extra cold nights but have not tried it yet. Has anybody tried this? Would condensation be a problem in a tent?
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.
Jai Maluga
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Earthling » Sat 27 Dec, 2008 7:58 am

Jai Maluga wrote:I have always thought about using a silver reflective survival blanket under my thermorest for extra warmth on extra cold nights but have not tried it yet. Has anybody tried this? Would condensation be a problem in a tent?

Good idea! Ive just done a quick google search and its mentioned in a few situations that this is feasable.
Condensation wouldnt be an issue, as not much humidity is going to escape through the floor, so no effect their.
Would love to hear comments from people who have tried this in cold temps.
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby roysta » Sat 27 Dec, 2008 1:53 pm

Right, now I've had my interest sparked on this Gossamer Gear, I have to ask, where can you get it in Australia, or is it only a purchase online job?
roysta
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Earthling » Sat 27 Dec, 2008 2:09 pm

Ive asked around but no one stocks GGear.
A lot of the good backpacking products are strictly overseas online purchasing.
Cuts out the importers, so saves you money, and these days quite safe.
Ive bought several items from overseas and had no issues to date.
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby roysta » Sat 27 Dec, 2008 2:42 pm

Yep, I've bought probably 30 items from the US, UK and Canada and no issues either, is the way to go.
What pains me though is ordering one item that's going to be cheaper than the postage.
I'll check around a bit more on the Gossamer Gear.
As far as your lightweight gear quest goes, Titanium cups are the go, I have a Snow Peak 80 and carry a 300ml plastic cup that weighs 20g.
How do you carry your water, in bottles or hydration bag?
The MSR 3 litre weighs only 175g empty.
I have a bucketload of Icebreaker stuff, thermals, short sleevers and a vest.
Let me tell you they're fantastic for summer and winter, don't smell and keep you warm when wet.
But, buy them online from NZ (http://www.run79.co.nz) because the exchange rate is still good.
roysta

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tony » Sun 28 Dec, 2008 7:43 am

I am a lightweight walker and I have gone from a Prolite 4 to a Z lite and back to a Prolite 4, sleeping comfort is one area that I value.

I have used only my prolite 4 in the snow at -17C and it has performed well.

Thermarest are releasing a new lighweight mattress the NeoAir next April it will be about 400g and is supposed to have a better R rating than the Prolite 4 and is 60 mmm thick. http://www.thermarest.com/news.aspx

Caution on the R rating of US products as the US R rating is 5.7 times the International R rating eg 5.7 US R = 1 Australian R http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-value_(insulation)

Tony

Using the Z lite at Grey Mare Hut KNP
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Earthling » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 5:13 am

Tony wrote:I am a lightweight walker and I have gone from a Prolite 4 to a Z lite and back to a Prolite 4, sleeping comfort is one area that I value.

I have used only my prolite 4 in the snow at -17C and it has performed well.

Thermarest are releasing a new lighweight mattress the NeoAir next April it will be about 400g and is supposed to have a better R rating than the Prolite 4 and is 60 mmm thick. http://www.thermarest.com/news.aspx

Caution on the R rating of US products as the US R rating is 5.7 times the International R rating eg 5.7 US R = 1 Australian R http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-value_(insulation)

Tony

Using the Z lite at Grey Mare Hut KNP

WOW! 400gs! And thick! I cant wait to see the reviews on these babies. Reflective material........Loooks gooooooood.
Thnaks for the good input Tony.
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment