Knife laws?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Knife laws?

Postby sim1oz » Tue 04 Jun, 2013 8:20 pm

I carry a Swiss Army card in my wallet all the time, so mini-knife, tweezers, sewing needle... Never even thought it would be a problem. When out bushwalking I always take either my spyderco ladybird or leatherman multitool. If we expect people to 'be prepared' when in the bush, I don't think a plastic knife is going to be very practical so as long as people aren't carrying huge, threatening-looking beasts or threaten anyone's well-being, I don't think it's going to be an issue. Having said that, I've occasionally wished for a machete when bush-bashing...
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Joomy » Sun 16 Jun, 2013 8:40 pm

Strider wrote:As of 14 December, 2012, it is now illegal to import ANY one handed opening knife to Australia. From what I can gather, this includes any knife that can be opened one handed - not just those that are designed to do so. Not sure what the position is on multi tools, but regardless it is a big step backwards for Australian knife users :(

It seems to be a totally arbitrary rule. All Spydercos are out, whereas the Skeletool and Spatha, both of which are designed to be opened one-handed, somehow are still in. Quote from Petzl's website: "The Petzl Spatha Knife was designed specifically for guide climbing, can be opened with a single hand, and fits a carabiner to a tee" and the Skeletool and Freestyle are even easier to open with one hand.

I'm all for banning dangerous weapons but banning small (under 10cm blade) folding knives that are simply the most convenient for outdoors people is excessive I think. It seems like a very reactionary law and not well thought out.

Anyway I've imported a few small knives from the states, haven't had one go missing yet. Fingers crossed my Ladybug gets through.
Last edited by Joomy on Thu 20 Jun, 2013 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joomy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lizzy » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 7:31 am

Slightly off topic but when self checking out at Woolies yesterday they had to check I was over 18 (no prob there!) to buy a packet of plastic picnic knives -lol. Even sillier since I could more easily walk across the car park to Bunnings & buy an axe!!
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Joomy » Wed 19 Jun, 2013 6:02 pm

Exactly. Although I've never heard of needing ID to buy plastic knives... that's just bizarre.
Joomy

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby teamop1234 » Sat 14 Oct, 2017 4:34 pm

i just bought the spyderco meadowlark 2 and i have the intent of carrying it ive talked to a cop and he said its perfectly fine to carry
teamop1234
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby Neo » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 8:19 pm

I usually have a pocket knife in my pocket.

I wouldn't if I were going to the pub.

I use it for something every day.

My excuse if challenged would be that I'm qualified.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Previous

Return to Equipment