Walking boots and blisters

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Walking boots and blisters

Postby Strider » Wed 21 Nov, 2012 9:44 pm

shane wrote:I think I'll try double socking but I'll be buggered if I'm spending more than 10 bucks on a pair of friggin socks. If that doesn't work then I'm going to have a close look at some Zamberlans and Army boots. I swear my problem is caused by Asolo's and Scarpa's lack of sole flexibility - if the foot bends but the boot doesn't then they're doing different things, resulting in friction leading to blisters.

It is incredibly ironic that you're not willing to shell out an extra few bucks for decent socks, though are considering buying a new pair of boots at $300+. I'd be willing to bet almost everyone here would be blister prone if they attempted to bushwalk any reasonable distance in generic white "sports" socks. Socks are at least 50% of the equation here, if you're not willing to fork out for a decent pair then you might as well give up now.

Re: sole stiffness. If your feet are moving inside the boot this is almost certainly a sock problem or a fitment problem, not a boot construction problem. If your boots fit correctly or if you can adequately fill any excess space with a good sock solution, sole stiffness makes stuff all difference.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Strider » Wed 21 Nov, 2012 9:45 pm

shane wrote:I think I'll try double socking but I'll be buggered if I'm spending more than 10 bucks on a pair of friggin socks. If that doesn't work then I'm going to have a close look at some Zamberlans and Army boots. I swear my problem is caused by Asolo's and Scarpa's lack of sole flexibility - if the foot bends but the boot doesn't then they're doing different things, resulting in friction leading to blisters.

It is incredibly ironic that you're not willing to shell out an extra few bucks for decent socks, though are considering buying a new pair of boots at $300+. I'd be willing to bet almost everyone here would be blister prone if they attempted to bushwalk any reasonable distance in generic white "sports" socks. Socks are at least 50% of the equation here, if you're not willing to fork out for a decent pair then you might as well give up now.

Re: sole stiffness. If your feet are moving inside the boot this is almost certainly a sock problem or a fitment problem, not a boot construction problem. If your boots fit correctly or if you can adequately fill any excess space with a good sock solution, sole stiffness makes stuff all difference.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Hallu » Thu 22 Nov, 2012 9:19 am

shane wrote:
Hallu wrote:I just bought myself some Asics Kayano 17, I wanted good looking comfortable walking shoes (and darn they are comfortable indeed, it's not a great win on the "good looking" side though), I'll tell you if they're also suitable on multi-hours hikes with wet rocks etc... Anyone got some New Balance 993 ? I wanted to try those ones too but no luck.

I don't think you'll see me wearing these while bush bashing for 3 or 4 days up and down slopes with 20kg on my back up at 1800m. I use ASIC sneakers running and I don't think they'd last more than a week off track, not to mention providing no ankle support and letting in all the twigs, leaves and dirt. They would've been a nightmare on my last trip.

Of course I wouldn't wear those on a multi-day trip, I was thinking on day walks, from 1 to 6 hours. Verdict this week-end.
Regarding double socks, it only works if you don't sweat too much. The liner sock needs to cling to your foot, if it doesn't because of sweat, then it's gonna render the whole process useless. The outer sock shouldn't be too slippery as well, otherwise you're gonna lose balance with your foot slipping on each step, and it should be breathable (otherwise sweat again)... I've tried about 5 or 6 different combinations (both liner+thick outer socks, and dedicated double socks sewn together) and so far only the Rywan work for me, but they're impossible to find in Australia, I buy them here : http://www.amazon.fr/Rywan-Bi-Climasock ... 770&sr=8-1 .
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby shane » Thu 22 Nov, 2012 3:10 pm

Strider wrote:

I *trash* my socks off track (mainly due to devising routes at the kitchen table, staying away form any walking trails... and for what it''s worth, we don't use GPS). Just reluctant to spend $20+ on something which will last a couple of walks. I disagree with your comments about sole stiffness. My boots are almost small for me, not too large and they feel like clogs. I watch my wife walk in her Scarpas and she walks like she is wearing clogs. She wears double cheap socks and doesn't get blisters.

Clogs clogs clogs.
shane
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby Hallu » Mon 26 Nov, 2012 7:57 am

Just tried the Kayano 17 this week end. On Saturday, 2 walks : one in dirt/mud, 4 km, another in gravel/hard sand/soft sand, 12 km. On Sunday, 3 little walks, 4-6 km each. The results are mixed. For my toes, those are the best shoes I've ever had, no friction anywhere, good support. But for the heels, it's no good at all. I usually never get blisters there with descent hiking shoes/boots, but this time yes. My heels weren't moving in the shoe, it's mainly the lack of rigidity of the sole I guess. It's supposed to be cushioning for runners, but but it doesn't work on hikes. Another problem : they breathe like crazy, because of mesh-like fabric, which lets dirt/sand get in, and my toes were black at the end of the first day. So great for running/walking in the city, for hikes (even short day-hikes) not so much.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayno » Mon 26 Nov, 2012 8:20 am

yup, general probem with a lot of road running shoes, made to breathe first and foremost. not made for the dirt of offroad..... its one thing trail shoes tend to cope with better. always take a look at the fabric to see how well its likely to keep the dirt out.
also road shoes arent made to cope with uneven terrain they dont allow fo how your feet will behave in the shoe in those circumstances to they are hit and miss for rougher tracks.. at leaset lookt at a shoe made for cross country running, but be aware running shoes dont tent to make tough outers on their shoes they arent made to stand up to much abrasion, so if ou are going to get a bit of abrasion on the shoes look for something made to stand up to it, again trail shoes have this more in mind, they often have more rubber reinforcing around the toe box for coping with impacting hard abrasive objects head on.... and the fabric is more clse weaved and or thicker again to cope with abrasion...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Hallu » Mon 26 Nov, 2012 8:34 am

The thing is I've never had such toe comfort with any hiking shoe before, I'm gonna try some Patagonia shoes, they're supposed to be good for hikes but still comfy.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayno » Mon 26 Nov, 2012 8:47 am

running shoes are made first for comfort, and last for durability, everything is nice and soft and cushioned. but juset wont stand up to abrasion like proper walking shoes, if you get dirt in them the fabric isnt necessarily made to enable easy removal of the dirt, off road shoes usually have closer weaves to reduce the dirt getting into the fabric so much......
thres plenty of lightweight boots and shoes that are pretty comfortable. snthetic fabrics are usually more flexible and create less pressure points, they bulge out when the pressure goes on them more. but it also depend on the slape of you foot versus the last of the footwear youre wearing and that can vary by manufacturer...

generally i'd say the durability of running shoes has gone through teh floor over the decades. it used to be you could resole running shoes and they'd get you through a couple of soles but now they seem to be engineered for the uppers to fall to bits by the time the sole wears out if they even last that long. and witha lot of the custom cut soles its hard to get them resoled now...
its hard to find running shoes with real leather any more it's usually imitation leather that gradually disintegrates, they stopped using nylon in the uppers and often use polyester which is less abrasion resistant and ddamages more easily.
i picksed up some asics gel arata's. *&%$#! amazing, leather, made for walking. thick sole. great tread , have just lasted and lasted... i actually jsut walk around in them at work but they ahve outlasted any other work shoe i've had and thers still no end of life left in them... a podiatrist recommended them as well...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hallu » Mon 26 Nov, 2012 10:00 am

Which version of the Arata ? They have the basic walking shoe, and two hiking versions, one low-cut, one high-cut.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayno » Mon 26 Nov, 2012 10:49 am

GTX low.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby McMartin » Fri 19 Apr, 2013 10:36 pm

Endorsed! Great comments.. Buy what you can afford, but make sure you get the fit right, visit several shops and try on several pairs before buying.. Socks as stated are an integral part of your footwear.. And remember.. It's your feet that'll get you across the track! I personally wear Salomon discovery gtx boots and thorlo socks for treks in far north Queensland and across kokoda.
McMartin
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Discover Kokoda
Region: Queensland

Previous

Return to Equipment