heard a story about boots..

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

heard a story about boots..

Postby scubabob » Sun 02 Sep, 2007 1:11 am

i was talking to a young chap in an outdoor adventure store (why do they call them that? are there indoor adventure stores?........ oh yes there are..... :oops: ) and we were discussing my up coming Overland Track Trek and he asked what boots i had. I told him i had bought Scarpa and he said that was a wise choice as a lot of boots come apart down there because the mud eats into the glue on the soles and they come apart. He claims this is common knowledge. Anyone shed some light on this?
you can't trully experience a rainforest without the rain
scubabob
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 02 Sep, 2007 8:23 am

I haven't heard that about the glue, but my old geology teacher (Hi Tiny, if your out there!) used to say the when they had nailed on soles on their boots (I did say old), the acid in the water of the button grass plains used to dissolve the nails enough to loosen them, and then the soles would come off.

I've seen soles come off on other people's cheap boots, but I don't know what the cause of it was. I had to give my sneakers (my spare/camp shoes) to a middle aged lady I met at Pelion plains once, as her boots had come apart and she didn't know how she was going to walk out. Same shoe size as me, thankfully for her.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby shanehugh » Sun 02 Sep, 2007 5:25 pm

I was told the same thing some years back regarding the scarpa boots. I think there was a general opinion that the traditional stitched sole method found on the scarpa boots, as well as others, was a more reliable and durable way of attaching the sole to the upper. Not sure how this holds up nowdays with better synthetic materials and adhesives though. Are the scarpa boots even stitched sole still?

Shane
shanehugh
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Boots for the Overland Track

Postby norts » Mon 03 Sep, 2007 8:55 am

These days the overland track is pretty benign in regard to mud etc so I would think you should not have any problems with boots.
I wear Garmonts and have not had any problems. I do run Free sole around the edge between the rubber and the leather as an extra buffer to stop grit working its way downbetween the 2 materials.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Penguin » Mon 03 Sep, 2007 1:45 pm

Always remember that once a year people run the overland track in just all terraine sneakers. Like most you, I have been up to my knees in peat bog on other tracks and never had a trouble with stitching failing. Have always nikwaxed my boots though (with the genuine wax) and maybe that has helped. We carry "physio" tape and that can do a great job wrapping up boots that have failed, as well as people...
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby scubabob » Mon 03 Sep, 2007 7:01 pm

Thanks guys for your input. The Scarpa boots i have dont seem to have any stitching so i am hoping thats not going to be a problem. I am interested in what "norts" mentions about running 'Free sole' around his boots and "Penguin" talking of 'nixwaxing'. If it's not too much trouble - and i apologise in adavance for being such a pain in the a**e for asking so many questions - can you please enlighten me as to what these products both are and do? Also, while i'm here, what's a good waterproofing product? There are so many around and the price varies so much - is it "get what you pay for"?
Thanks.
you can't trully experience a rainforest without the rain
scubabob
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 03 Sep, 2007 7:23 pm

G'day Bob... Nikwax is a leather treatment and waterproofing product. I use it before every walk these days. I used to use Sno-Seal (beeswax waterproofing treatment), but Nikwax is water based, is easier to apply, makes less mess... and... well... I just like the name.

Nikwax (and other similar products) soak into the leather and make it somewhat more waterproof (although no waterproofing lasts all that long on a wet muddy track). It is also supposed to preserve the leather... prevent it from cracking and deteriorating. With Nikwax, at least, it comes in several varieties, depending on if you like your leather hard and firm, or soft and malleable. Not sure if there is really much difference in the varieties... I've always used the same one.
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Mon 03 Sep, 2007 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Joe » Mon 03 Sep, 2007 7:27 pm

Ive used snoseal on all my motorbike gear for years, its a great product. Preserves the leather and as SOB says it also provides some waterproofing.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Boots

Postby norts » Tue 04 Sep, 2007 8:52 am

You can get freesole at bushwalking shops. Comes in a small tube. I run a bead around the boot and a bit more over the toe to help protect the leather there.
I also vote for Snoseal. Although after a couple of creek crossings and a few days on the track it is usually starting to go.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Penguin » Wed 05 Sep, 2007 10:07 am

I have no experience with snoseal but have tried a noumber of the liquid siliocon based products. For waterproofing the wax based product killed the spray on/sponge in products on both full grain and nubuck leathers.
The wax is supposed to reduce the breathability of the leathers but this has never been a problem for me - I don't do much walking in the Northern Teritory.

As has already been said, I have found that cleaning and waxing the boots between each major walk is the go.

I have used Aquaseal between the leather and sole to keep the grit and moisture out.

At the end of the day afet a few days in mud or one day in snow nothing keeps the wet out. I do like gortex linng as it atleast makes you feet feel like they are dry, even if they are not.

Happy walking scubabob
Penguin

Return to Equipment