sleeping bag dilemma

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

sleeping bag dilemma

Postby outdoorlady » Fri 31 Oct, 2008 9:39 am

I am looking seriously at getting the Mont Spindrift sleeping bag (750g down) but have also just looked at the One Planet Winterlite (750g down also). I need a bag that I can sleep comfortably in at 5000m+ from time to time but for the most part would be requiring for tassie winter conditions/patagonia hiking etc. Any advice would be appreciated.
outdoorlady
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: sleeping bag dilemma

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 31 Oct, 2008 9:58 am

I'm not sure how my Winterlite compares to the newer models, as mine is not even branded One Planet, but is branded J&H (who merged with Aiking to form One Planet, I think?). It is about 20 years old, or thereabouts, and I finally tore a hole it in this year, so it's done very well for a very long time.

I've found it to perform very well, having slept in some very cold conditions, including the verandah of Kiaora Hut in the snow, and I've never been cold in it. 90% of the time, I don't even close the zip on it, to avoid getting too hot. I've only ever used the hood twice, and the neck muff 3 or 4 times, as the rest of it is so warm, I have to let out body heat somewhere, most times I use it.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby the_camera_poser » Sun 19 Jul, 2009 7:03 pm

I haven't gotten them yet, and therefore have no first-hand knowledge, but from the many reviews I've read, Montbell's ultralight superstretch hugger bags are very interesting. I'm ordering everyone in my family one soon.
the_camera_poser

Postby dee_legg » Mon 20 Jul, 2009 8:34 am

Hi outdoorlady,
I've got no idea what sort of temperatures you can get at 5000m but i bet its cold. I love mont bags! I love mont everything actually so if you end up with one, i doubt that you'll be disappointed. I have the brindabella for 4 season use in Tas, and it does the job although i was cold at Twilight Tarn in Mt Field NP the other night.. it's rated at -3C for comfort fown to -12C extreme.
Depending on your height, you may be suited to a womens bag, especially the Zeal which is the womens equivalent of the Spindrift.
Let us know what you decide!
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment